Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Just like last years pipe dream no one is trading out of the top 10. Rangers scouts have to do the hard work and pick at least one winner between our two first rounders. And a forward preferably. There will be guys there if 13 is where we pick. Pick the right one this time damn it lol. Obviously Kakko aside I’m not sold on our other high first round picks Lias Or VK at this point.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Just like last years pipe dream no one is trading out of the top 10. Rangers scouts have to do the hard work and pick at least one winner between our two first rounders. And a forward preferably. There will be guys there if 13 is where we pick. Pick the right one this time damn it lol. Obviously Kakko aside I’m not sold on our other high first round picks Lias Or VK at this point.
Yeah they're gonna have to make this one count, because unless something goes horribly wrong, they won't be picking very high for a while

Although to be fair, the team seems to have a knack for making picks in the lower rounds that work out great

So who knows

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Preferably they'd just average out all the public rankings in Excel and pick that way. Not even kidding.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and SA16

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Preferably they'd just average out all the public rankings in Excel and pick that way. Not even kidding.

I am all for this method of drafting. Every scouting department thinks their rankings are right. This is of course, impossible, or there would not be such a discrepancy between different teams lists. There is no logical reason to believe Team A is more accurate than Team B with regards to their draft preparation and even looking at past history does not do enough as there is huge variance not to mention other factors including draft slots, pick quantity, development etc. This was less the case when there were certain areas that were underscouted but isn't as extreme anymore.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is there a "cut-off" in this draft in terms of talent? I know some drafts, there's a "consensus" group of players, like in 2017 there were six guys and of course us picking seventh. Does that exist here? I haven't gotten into it too much this year beyond the guys I was already familiar with, so I don't know where that line is. From the mocks, it seems like 7 or 8 through maybe 14 or so are a bit fluid.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a "cut-off" in this draft in terms of talent? I know some drafts, there's a "consensus" group of players, like in 2017 there were six guys and of course us picking seventh. Does that exist here? I haven't gotten into it too much this year beyond the guys I was already familiar with, so I don't know where that line is. From the mocks, it seems like 7 or 8 through maybe 14 or so are a bit fluid.
I can't speak to this one, but I feel like the top 6 in 2017 was kind of an after the fact thing. I don't remember anyone saying it at the time.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I would say around 10-11. There are different tiers, with Lafreniere being the clear cut top pick in Tier 1, but the next 10-ish all have the talent to be franchise players. It's the most talented draft since 2003 looking at the first round

I can't speak to this one, but I feel like the top 6 in 2017 was kind of an after the fact thing. I don't remember anyone saying it at the time.

The drop off being at 5-6 was clear pre-draft.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just remember with that one, the guys that most people around here wanted all went in the first six. Like everyone wanted Makar, Pettersson, Patrick, or Glass. And in the Andersson thread afterwards, a lot of people were bemoaning that we had the seventh pick in a six pick draft.

Personally, I thought Mittelstadt, Vilardi, and Suzuki were also fine at that spot. Andersson I didn't know a ton about but talked myself into being happy with the pick.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would say around 10-11. There are different tiers, with Lafreniere being the clear cut top pick in Tier 1, but the next 10-ish all have the talent to be franchise players. It's the most talented draft since 2003 looking at the first round

I see the top 7 or 8 pretty static in every draft. But then I see it get to guys like Lundell, Sanderson, Perfetti, Quinn, Gunler, and especially Askarov and it seems to get scrambled from there.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I see the top 7 or 8 pretty static in every draft. But then I see it get to guys like Lundell, Sanderson, Perfetti, Quinn, Gunler, and especially Askarov and it seems to get scrambled from there.

I think Lundell is in the conversation for the top-5, and Askarov is the best goalie by far in the draft. Where he goes, depends on what teams look for, I guess. Spencer Knight last year could have gone higher if a team needing a goalie had a higher pick.

Quinn, Sanderson and Gunler are in the tier below that franchise-talent group from what I've seen.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not what I remember or from what I can see from what was written at the time:
McKenzie's Draft Ranking: Top 93 and honourable mentions - TSN.ca
NHL mock draft 2017: Hischier, Patrick lead the crop
Follow along with SB Nation’s 2017 NHL mock draft - SBNation.com
2017 NHL draft: Ranking the top 120 prospects - TheHockeyNews

Red Line Report had 3 of the now consensus top 6 in their top 8. ISS had 4 in their top 8.

Sam Cosentino crushed the top 6, but I can't find too many people that recognized their was a clear top tier of 5 or 6 and wrote it down before the draft. After the draft, sure there's plenty.

2017 NHL Mock Draft: No deficiencies in Nolan Patrick's game - Sportsnet.ca

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would never pick a goalie in the first round. Not even in the 2nd or 3rd. Goalies are the punters of the NHL when it comes to draft value

Just looked at the goalies drafted in the first round in the last 15 years and wow is it bad for the most part.

Spencer Knight
Jake Oetinger
Ilya Samsonov
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Malcolm Subban
Jack Campbell
Mark Visentin
Chet Pickard
Thomas McCollum
Jonathan Bernier
Riku Helenius
Semyon Varlamov
Leland Irving
Tuukka Rask
Carey Price

So of those you can really only say Rask, Price, Varlamov, and Vasilevskiy worked out. Others either busts, journeymen, or guys who are still young. And I wouldn't want the contracts of Price or Vasilevskiy. Varlamov has had a nice career but even WSH traded him after 3 years when Holtby had a good playoff (and they got the 11th overall pick which was Filip Forsberg so that worked out...kind of. lol).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just looked at the goalies drafted in the first round in the last 15 years and wow is it bad for the most part.

Spencer Knight
Jake Oetinger
Ilya Samsonov
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Malcolm Subban
Jack Campbell
Mark Visentin
Chet Pickard
Thomas McCollum
Jonathan Bernier
Riku Helenius
Semyon Varlamov
Leland Irving
Tuukka Rask
Carey Price

So of those you can really only say Rask, Price, Varlamov, and Vasilevskiy worked out. Others either busts, journeymen, or guys who are still young. And I wouldn't want the contracts of Price or Vasilevskiy.

To me, the real issue is that even if you draft a good goalie, you will never get the value for it that you invested with a 1st round pick. Either a goalie is stellar, and you keep him, or he's a backup and you get peanuts in return

Reactions: jas and egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
To me, the real issue is that even if you draft a good goalie, you will never get the value for it that you invested with a 1st round pick. Either a goalie is stellar, and you keep him, or he's a backup and you get peanuts in return

Even look at the four who became actual good goalies.

Carey Price - disastrous contract at this point (predictably)
Andrei Vasilevskiy - I don't like the contract but it's debateable.
Semyon Varlamov - traded after 3 years when they found someone they thought might be better (and got a great return)
Tuuka Rask - has had a great career and also never got an egregious contract but...he also got traded for Andrew Raycroft a year after being drafted.

So really none of them have worked out that well for the team who took them other than maybe Vasilevskiy who is early in his career.

A lot of busts. A lot of backups. A couple of good ones who got paid a lot. And two who didn't even stick long with the team that drafted them.

And yet we know someone will take Askarov early.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
everyone talks about this draft possibly being as good as the 2003. Heck I hope that is the case. picks 11-20 were better players collectively than picks 1-10. I would even say picks 21-30 were just as good as picks 1-10. We have two picks in the top 23 most likely. We should be able to grab two forwards which we need to add to our forward prospect pool depth especially since many are saying this draft is forward deep in the first round right?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not what I remember or from what I can see from what was written at the time:
McKenzie's Draft Ranking: Top 93 and honourable mentions - TSN.ca
NHL mock draft 2017: Hischier, Patrick lead the crop
Follow along with SB Nation’s 2017 NHL mock draft - SBNation.com
2017 NHL draft: Ranking the top 120 prospects - TheHockeyNews

Red Line Report had 3 of the now consensus top 6 in their top 8. ISS had 4 in their top 8.

Sam Cosentino crushed the top 6, but I can't find too many people that recognized their was a clear top tier of 5 or 6 and wrote it down before the draft. After the draft, sure there's plenty.

2017 NHL Mock Draft: No deficiencies in Nolan Patrick's game - Sportsnet.ca

Man looking at McKenzie's list makes me a bit depressed. We would have had Pettersson and Thomas (albeit Chytil will be good but probably not as good as Thomas)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
everyone talks about this draft possibly being as good as the 2003. Heck I hope that is the case. picks 11-20 were better players collectively than picks 1-10. I would even say picks 21-30 were just as good as picks 1-10. We have two picks in the top 23 most likely. We should be able to grab two forwards which we need to add to our forward prospect pool depth especially since many are saying this draft is forward deep in the first round right?
I feel like every third year, a draft is either as good as 2003, or is one of the worst in the past decade. And those proclamations always seems to end up being off when you look back five years later. I don't buy any of that stuff.

The draft has a lot of talent. It has a lot of guys who could be great. I don't know why anything more needs to be said.

Reactions: D713B and bl02

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Brett Howden: *exists*

Me:

97319436_10207235342120070_1649125939671465984_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events