Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
How do we make our defense better? We can score. I’m just sick of being in our own zone and not knowing how to cover players and clear the puck.

Reactions: leetch99

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
How do we make our defense better? We can score. I’m just sick of being in our own zone and not knowing how to cover players and clear the puck.
#BanishStaalToIstanbul
#FindTroubaACompetentPartner
#PlayShesterkinMoooaaaaaar

Poooooooooof. Defense has improved.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I know a lot of people want to see
ADA-Trouba, but I don’t.

I don’t think they’ll compliment eachother well. Imo, a cerebral player like Fox will mesh much better with Trouba than someone like ADA.

Fox-Trouba
Lindgren-ADA

That 2nd pairing has balance and bite. It also gives Quinn the ability to get really creative with our 3rd pair.

Smith/Hajek+Lundkvist? Replace Smith halfway through the season with Miller if he’s ready? I dunno. I just think a gunslinger like ADA+Trouba is a recipe for disaster. Hell, I’d prefer to see Lindgren-Trouba + ADA-Fox than pair Trouba with a Dmen that’s as committed offensively as DeAngelo is.

It’ll take one more season for our D to settle down imo. And that’s without Lundkvist/Miller/Robertson/Jones making their impact.

At the end of the day, I’m more excited about our D long term than anything else in our club. We just have to be patient and set these kids up for success.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Staal needs to be the 7th guy if the d is gonna improve. Even Smith was better towards the end with Trouba, for me this year if we are to be better we need to let Hajek play again, I know he wasnt really good in Hartford but he wasnt doing that well there before his first call up either so maybe he just needs to play with the big club. It would be hard to take Lindgren away from fox but I'd plan on having Smith-Trouba, Hajek-Fox, Lindgren-DeAngelo for balance. That's just for this year obviously. Long term outside of Hajek that left side will have new players and I believe we already have them in the minors, which is another reason we need to play Hajek so that we don't have a bunch of rookie left side dmen in 2 years.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
#BanishStaalToIstanbul
#FindTroubaACompetentPartner
#PlayShesterkinMoooaaaaaar

Poooooooooof. Defense has improved.
Yes...that will fix it some . Plus we need somebody to win face offs consistently and maybe another body that is in the higher percentage of penalty killers for the league . It won't all happen over night because of money reasons for the most part and maybe coaching adjustment[which are bound to come ] I fail to see why we just can't have the best with this organization's cash surplus !!! We also possibly could sacrifice some offense and focus more on defense as a team. One moreF'n mean SOB on the back end certainly would also be a nice addition....if we drop Haley then I suggest that might be an area where any new found physical play is positioned first when considering new additions via trades and or FA . Hopefully all this gets righted over the next 30 months give or take .

Reactions: Kupo

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NHL extends player development agreements

NHL extends player development agreements
One-year extensions approved for existing pacts with IIHF leagues, CHL
by NHL Public Relations @PR_NHL April 28, 2020

The following agreements have been approved by the NHL Board of Governors and are effective immediately for the 2020-21 season:
* A one-year extension of the existing player transfer agreements with each of the IIHF member federation/leagues in Austria, Belarus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Slovakia, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
* A new one-year player transfer agreement with the Swiss Ice Hockey Association and Swiss League.
* A one-year extension of the existing agreement with the Canadian Hockey League and its constituent organizations (Ontario Hockey League, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Western Hockey League).
Player signings for European players pursuant to, and in accordance with, each of the player transfer agreements may commence effective immediately.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I know a lot of people want to see
ADA-Trouba, but I don’t.

I don’t think they’ll compliment eachother well. Imo, a cerebral player like Fox will mesh much better with Trouba than someone like ADA.

Fox-Trouba
Lindgren-ADA

That 2nd pairing has balance and bite. It also gives Quinn the ability to get really creative with our 3rd pair.

Smith/Hajek+Lundkvist? Replace Smith halfway through the season with Miller if he’s ready? I dunno. I just think a gunslinger like ADA+Trouba is a recipe for disaster. Hell, I’d prefer to see Lindgren-Trouba + ADA-Fox than pair Trouba with a Dmen that’s as committed offensively as DeAngelo is.

It’ll take one more season for our D to settle down imo. And that’s without Lundkvist/Miller/Robertson/Jones making their impact.

At the end of the day, I’m more excited about our D long term than anything else in our club. We just have to be patient and set these kids up for success.

ADA-Fox
Lindgren-Trouba

Profit.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If we're so concerned about Chytil not being able to take the role of 2C by the horns and run with it next year, I'd look to get someone like Bozak as a hold-over for a year.

He's Strome, but better and takes fewer dumb penalties. He'd likely be cheap too in a trade, especially considering you can probably get more in a trade for Strome.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If we're so concerned about Chytil not being able to take the role of 2C by the horns and run with it next year, I'd look to get someone like Bozak as a hold-over for a year.

He's Strome, but better and takes fewer dumb penalties. He'd likely be cheap too in a trade, especially considering you can probably get more in a trade for Strome.

Hes not better than Strome right now

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Strome: 47.5 FO%
Bozak 55.0 FO%

The more Panarin has the puck the more he will score. That's quite a difference.

So youd rather have Bozak because he has a higher faceoff %? Its been proved countless times that faceoffs are a a fairly irrelevant stat. I dont know how you could possibly say that a 34 year old Tyler Bozak, who is nearing retirement, is a better player right now than a 26 year old Ryan Strome, who just put up better numbers in a shortened season than Bozak has in his entire career

Reactions: Dijock94

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
who just put up better numbers in a shortened season than Bozak has in his entire career
Bet that Bozak would put up the same numbers, if not better, next to Panarin.

And if the idea is to just have them as a placeholder 2C/3C to swap with Chytil if he's not ready, then there is zero reason to not want Bozak.

Strome isn't a long-term solution. Bozak isn't either. But in the short-term, Bozak is a better solution than Strome.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bet that Bozak would put up the same numbers, if not better, next to Panarin.

And if the idea is to just have them as a placeholder 2C/3C to swap with Chytil if he's not ready, then there is zero reason to not want Bozak.

Strome isn't a long-term solution. Bozak isn't either. But in the short-term, Bozak is a better solution than Strome.

And whatever assets we get for Strome in a trade

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So youd rather have Bozak because he has a higher faceoff %? Its been proved countless times that faceoffs are a a fairly irrelevant stat. I dont know how you could possibly say that a 34 year old Tyler Bozak, who is nearing retirement, is a better player right now than a 26 year old Ryan Strome, who just put up better numbers in a shortened season than Bozak has in his entire career

Who would you rather have on the ice at the end of the game when you're losing and need to win a big faceoff to even have a chance? One guy gives you a chance to win 55% of the time. The other only 47%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad