Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I don't doubt that he's a "good guy" - but strikes me more of a middle-of-the-pack soldier than a leader. Don't think he should be near any letter, for a variety of reasons.

Oh cool, didn't know you were in the locker room. Is Hank as pretty in real life as he is in the pictures?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
One of the biggest red flags I have for a kid is if he regresses a year or two before becoming a full time NHLer. Usually that means a guy will have to find a new role or game to play in the NHL.

So that 4th overall upside, that WJC player that was dominant, the size speed and skill that was on display 4 years ago with JP isn't something I believe will translate well into the NHL. IMO you are looking at a Brett Connolly at best if he turns things around, or a Sam Bennet type of player. A kid who lit up juniors, but has to transform his game in the NHL. I think the thing with Jesse was that it was more than just one thing.
  1. He didn't mature physically.
  2. Was rushed. Didn't learn to play in all three zones.
  3. Foreign kid with a language barrier who was yo-yoed for 3 years without much support. We've seen what that can do to a kid.
  4. Doesn't know how to forecheck, misses backchecks.
  5. Isn't strong enough to cycle and win board battles.
  6. Has had issues with team and management.
None of those things say you give up a premium asset for him. The Bolts Volkov, and Gauthier are guys who are deeper in their team's pools where they won't see NHL ice. The Rangers have defensive prospects like that, but not forwards.

It sounds like EDM is looking for a cost controlled checking line center that's young and reliable, or a RH shooter that can get some goals off of some McDavid and Draisaitl time.

You have to think that JP is going to be a 20-20 guy that can slot in your top 9 if you want to give up Anderson or Howden. Not because that's what you expect Lias to Brett to be, but because you are going to give up a viable NHL player for a big maybe.

Thank you. I thought I was going crazy reading some of the proposals for JP in here. The kids being mentioned in moves for him have at least shown their own personal development year-to-year, despite being surrounded by a weak pool of talent.

I don’t think we have enough pieces in the farm to start moving these guys, or someone like Robertson, to add a project player that maybe will turn into a top-6 forward. I’m happy to see he’s doing well in Finland, but I’m also not convinced he’s totally turned around his game from where it was when he left EDM.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They like him. He's a good stabilizing presence on the team. You need guys like that who will take care of his teammates, and show the kids the ropes. Strome brings a veteran leadership that I don't think is abundant on the roster.

Strome's a really good guy. He'll have a letter on his chest if he sticks around.

I’m not sure w the cap he could be another Spooner or Namestnikov ...... I think I’d flip him at the deadline

Reactions: haveandare

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They like him. He's a good stabilizing presence on the team. You need guys like that who will take care of his teammates, and show the kids the ropes. Strome brings a veteran leadership that I don't think is abundant on the roster.

Strome's a really good guy. He'll have a letter on his chest if he sticks around.

Almost quietly he has 4 goals and 11 points in 11 games this season, and 22 goals and 44 points in 74 contests since coming over to the Rangers.

He’a setting himself up for a possible extension, of if that’s not in the cards, a better than expected TDL return.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’m not sure w the cap he could be another Spooner or Namestnikov ...... I think I’d flip him at the deadline

In fairness, he’s quickly approaching the same amount of production as those two guys....combined.

And he’d do so in far less games.

Now, having said that, a lot will likely depend on if he can give them production on the right side - especially if Chytil grows into the second line role this season.

Reactions: belford22

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Still very early in the year, so I would give it a month before I start to lock in the contenders versus the pretenders, but as of today, here's where I see the league in terms of teams that will make the playoffs and look to make some noise.

Eastern Conference
  • Boston- Expect them to be a major player at the deadline and to take another run this year.
  • Washington- They've looked like themselves, have some depth needs, but are playing to their identity.
  • New York Islanders- One of the best structured teams out there. They will make a push, they've got depth, but they play a really good 200 foot game. Quinny, Ruff: Watch their games. It's all about team defense with them.
  • Carolina- Exciting team, lots of speed and depth. They are in my contender profile. I've been running a couple of seasons long analytics exercise, and Carolina fits the bill. No it's based on shot attempts.
  • Pittsburgh- Injuries and all, they are playing well. What's underrated about them is that the moved out some weak links on their backend and are getting it done by Sid and Company. If they upgrade their defense, then they will have a better shot, especially when Malkin comes back.
I had Toronto making the finals before the season started, but they look like they are a mess defensively. Soft. Expect them to be a good regular season team and outscore their problems, but this is a team that reminds me of the Rangers circa 2016 & 2017 with a lot more offensive firepower.

Western Conference
  • Colorado- Similar to Carolina, they fit my contender profile. Hit with injuries, but their backend is going to get better, and they are much deeper than last year. They have a similar team building profile in mind that I think works very well in today's game. Makar is special.
  • St. Louis- Defending cup champs. Might have a little hangover, and lost their best scorer. I've met some of their team staff, these guys get it. They've got a really good balance of capable veterans and youth.
  • Nashville- I think they are back this year. It's a different team, with a ton of depth up the middle and on defense. DAL & WPG taking a step back, and CHI not taking a step forward helps them out a lot imo.
  • Edmonton- Yes that Edmonton. They are banking on McDavid and Draisaitl for offense, and they play a very tight checking game on defense. Their defense isn't crap any more. Much like the Islanders, they are playing with structure. You are getting 230 points from two players. You need secondary scorers (Neal, RNH), and good special teams if you can play good team defense to win some games. Tippet is a hell of a coach. Does a lot with very little, and he has a lot, alongside very little.
  • Vegas- I think they pick it up over the 2nd half. Stone is playing like a man possessed. Their defense is shoddy, but their forward depth is more than solid. Their goalie can steal enough games with that formula to get them into the show. They will need to buy.
As it stands today, these teams will be buyers at the deadline imo. Vancouver is an interesting one. They have depth, and they are good at creating match-ups, with legitimate shutdown pairs and checkers. They could use some help on their top 9, but not sure if this is the year to buy.

Things will evolve over the next month, but I expect the Rangers to be in sell-off mode once again at the deadline. The question to me is if we will just see rentals be moved, or if there will be some hockey trades as well.

So far I would expect the haul to be along the following for the rentals:

Kreider: Late 1st, B prospect, or a 1st round equivalent of a prospect.
Fast: A 3rd & a conditional 5th round pick, with an NHL body coming back.
McKegg: A conditional 5th round pick. Remember he played very well for Carolina last year in a depth role.

What's most intriguing are any potential hockey trades. I don't have any clue as to what they would be yet, but the Rangers 21-25 defense core in the NHL right now is going to make things very interesting. They did a really good job there with the trade acquisitions. That's a core you can start to build around, and see how the other prospects push for spots.

Goaltending as well. If Shesty keeps it up, and George steals more ice-time, the Rangers will have a lot ammunition for some creativity.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
That article was back in August when the Oilers werent sure what they were. On Saturday headlines on cbc hockey night in canada last night they said the Rangers were the team that keeps coming up in conversations around Puuijarvi. I'd say they would be more willing to add a roster player with the way they have played. I mean if there is a franchise that really needs to make the playoffs this year its Edmonton. I really feel like Puuijarvi and Kakko were on similar paths, I mean Kakko doesnt exactly look good right now, but everyone knows he will be. Edmonton was in full on panic mode with Puuijarvi and basically crapped all over him for not being the next Jari Kurri right away. I believe we could make something out of him, and as long as it's something like Puuijarvi and a pick/prospect for Kreider I'd take that gamble. Edmonton can ask the moon for him but its 3 months now and nobody bit, they will have to lower their ask.

Headlines: What's going on with Dustin Byfuglien? - Sportsnet.ca

I know about the report from last night which is why I mentioned what Elliotte reported a few months ago. Chris Johnston reported the Rangers interest last night. Elliotte Friedman didn’t mention anything about the Rangers in the summer. Carolina and TB. Elliotte reported a few days ago, the Blues have offered Kostin to Edmonton for Puljujarvi.

Last night’s report was the first credible source linking the Rangers to Puljujarvi.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The problem with Puljujärvi is that the kid should have been developed like the project he is/was.

The kid is huge and he kept growing for a long time. He was listed at 6’2 not long before the draft, now he is listed as 6’4 or 6’5. He had not even really broken out in the Liiga when EDM rushed him over. Physically he was far from where he needed to be.

And like, just look at the game. It’s so much about speed. Put a young forward on the ice that is really big and still filling into his body. The game will just be too fast for him.

And it’s in that environment JP played for three loooong miserable years.

JP can build up amazing top speed. He has a really heavy shot. He got great instincts around the net. But to thrive in the NHL you must be able to be around the puck all the time, buy time for yourself with it. I am sure a kid like JP can get there, but it would certainly take time.

If we can get him into the mix, great. But I am not sure how much value I would like to give up for him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Has anything changed regarding Puljujärvi since the summer?

I think Gorton is intent of trading Buchnevich and have been after giving him that bridge deal. Buch will have good stats for us. The top guys in this league is making up towards 13m per. The top salaries where for years held back by cap circumventing deals, now they have recovered. The top players don't have a cap hit of 7-8m anymore. They are getting close to beating those numbers by 100%...

Buchnevich will get good stats for us the coming seasons. Around 60 pts. What is the market price for a 60 pts RFA in after next season when Buch's bridge-deal is up? He is an UFA right around the corner, should have zero interest in signing a cheaper long-term deal. 6-7m per?

We have Kakko on the roster at RW and the organization was extremely high on Kravy. So Gorton gives Buch that bridge-deal, fully intent on trading him. A right side of Kakko, Kravy and Buch is a bit too much of the same for it to be optimal. It makes sense. We all know the rumors from this summer on how Gorton was trying to trade Buch to Colorado.

Has anything changed? It could be that Kravy's value and potential shrunk in the eyes of management? And it is hard for Gorton to now go back on his intention to trade Buch. Are we willing to give Buch 7x7 after next season? Or 1-2 years at 5-6m per? Seems unlikely. Maybe that has changed our position on Puljujärvi a bit. Gorton got feelers out for Buchnevich all over the NHL, and all of a sudden our RW depth charts only has Kakko that seem to need a bit time and Kravy that is a questionmark in Russia.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jesse Puljujärvi went back to play for Oulon Kärpät this year because he wanted to play hockey, get a bigger offensive role. Said that was what he needed to develop.

There have been some talk about his attitude. All I know is that Uleåborg (Oulo) is way up north, its on the same longitude as the Northwestern Passage. Way north of most of Canada. Soon you won't see the sun at all during the day, you get some day light for a few hours but the sun is just be the horizon. Around Christmas its black 24/7.

Trade for him and let him spend the rest of the season there. Its not a walk in the park. Should get his game back on track. I think he could be a good pick-up if he returned for next year.

Reactions: egelband

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Where would Pool Party even play here? They already have Buch, Kakko, and Kravtsov(when he’s done pouting) on the right side. That’s not including Fast, who they probably will re-sign, and maybe even Strome if they move him to RW. I mean sure, maybe Buch isn’t long for this organization, but still. RW is a log jam both now and in the immediate future. Has Pool Party played LW? Not sure if that’s a good idea switching him out of position when he already has on ice issues.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Where would Pool Party even play here? They already have Buch, Kakko, and Kravtsov(when he’s done pouting) on the right side. That’s not including Fast, who they probably will re-sign, and maybe even Strome if they move him to RW. I mean sure, maybe Buch isn’t long for this organization, but still. RW is a log jam both now and in the immediate future. Has Pool Party played LW? Not sure if that’s a good idea switching him out of position when he already has on ice issues.

Buch, Kakko and Kravtsov are all left handed. Any of them should be able to play LW. Or Puljujarvi can play his offside.

Reactions: Ola

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i'd take a chance on Puljujarvi if he's a throw in to a deal and costing us basically nothing....zero interest in giving up a good young player and pick to get him

Reactions: dapowl

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Buch, Kakko and Kravtsov are all left handed. Any of them should be able to play LW. Or Puljujarvi can play his offside.
Yeah but how much LW have any of them played in their careers? I remember Quinn moved Buch to LW last year for a game or 2 and Buch came out and said LW wasn’t for him and the experiment ended. I want our wingers to be utilized correctly so that they produce at their best. I’m sure @Amazing Kreiderman has the breakdowns, I believe Kravtsov split time at both wings last year? Not sure about Kakko. Can Pool Party at LW be done? I just hate moving our young wingers out of position in a game of musical chairs, especially when they’re trying to develop their games.

Reactions: Avery16

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Still very early in the year, so I would give it a month before I start to lock in the contenders versus the pretenders, but as of today, here's where I see the league in terms of teams that will make the playoffs and look to make some noise.

Eastern Conference
  • Boston- Expect them to be a major player at the deadline and to take another run this year.
  • Washington- They've looked like themselves, have some depth needs, but are playing to their identity.
  • New York Islanders- One of the best structured teams out there. They will make a push, they've got depth, but they play a really good 200 foot game. Quinny, Ruff: Watch their games. It's all about team defense with them.
  • Carolina- Exciting team, lots of speed and depth. They are in my contender profile. I've been running a couple of seasons long analytics exercise, and Carolina fits the bill. No it's based on shot attempts.
  • Pittsburgh- Injuries and all, they are playing well. What's underrated about them is that the moved out some weak links on their backend and are getting it done by Sid and Company. If they upgrade their defense, then they will have a better shot, especially when Malkin comes back.
I had Toronto making the finals before the season started, but they look like they are a mess defensively. Soft. Expect them to be a good regular season team and outscore their problems, but this is a team that reminds me of the Rangers circa 2016 & 2017 with a lot more offensive firepower.

Western Conference
  • Colorado- Similar to Carolina, they fit my contender profile. Hit with injuries, but their backend is going to get better, and they are much deeper than last year. They have a similar team building profile in mind that I think works very well in today's game. Makar is special.
  • St. Louis- Defending cup champs. Might have a little hangover, and lost their best scorer. I've met some of their team staff, these guys get it. They've got a really good balance of capable veterans and youth.
  • Nashville- I think they are back this year. It's a different team, with a ton of depth up the middle and on defense. DAL & WPG taking a step back, and CHI not taking a step forward helps them out a lot imo.
  • Edmonton- Yes that Edmonton. They are banking on McDavid and Draisaitl for offense, and they play a very tight checking game on defense. Their defense isn't crap any more. Much like the Islanders, they are playing with structure. You are getting 230 points from two players. You need secondary scorers (Neal, RNH), and good special teams if you can play good team defense to win some games. Tippet is a hell of a coach. Does a lot with very little, and he has a lot, alongside very little.
  • Vegas- I think they pick it up over the 2nd half. Stone is playing like a man possessed. Their defense is shoddy, but their forward depth is more than solid. Their goalie can steal enough games with that formula to get them into the show. They will need to buy.
As it stands today, these teams will be buyers at the deadline imo. Vancouver is an interesting one. They have depth, and they are good at creating match-ups, with legitimate shutdown pairs and checkers. They could use some help on their top 9, but not sure if this is the year to buy.

Things will evolve over the next month, but I expect the Rangers to be in sell-off mode once again at the deadline. The question to me is if we will just see rentals be moved, or if there will be some hockey trades as well.

So far I would expect the haul to be along the following for the rentals:

Kreider: Late 1st, B prospect, or a 1st round equivalent of a prospect.
Fast: A 3rd & a conditional 5th round pick, with an NHL body coming back.
McKegg: A conditional 5th round pick. Remember he played very well for Carolina last year in a depth role.

What's most intriguing are any potential hockey trades. I don't have any clue as to what they would be yet, but the Rangers 21-25 defense core in the NHL right now is going to make things very interesting. They did a really good job there with the trade acquisitions. That's a core you can start to build around, and see how the other prospects push for spots.

Goaltending as well. If Shesty keeps it up, and George steals more ice-time, the Rangers will have a lot ammunition for some creativity.
What would dubas’ team look like if he wasn’t handed Matthews, marner, nylander, O’Reilly and Tavares didn’t choose to sign with them. What has that kid really done other than cost them two years of prime contending window with an obviously soft not gonna cut it defense?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
why would edmonton not be on Kreiders 11-team NTC list? Its probably something more like a hockey trade/fresh start for two players who haven't played up to billing. Andersson for Puljujarvi.
How has Lias not played up to billing? He has played very well this year in his limited minutes. His game is improving.

3rd round pick is max i would be willing to pay for a reclamation project

Reactions: lucky13

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Trading Kreider for Puljujarvi would be a disaster. Even if a 1st was included. You can get a 1st and a prospect at the deadline while likely getting Puljujarvi for a 3rd round pick and prospect.

Lastly, too many are undervaluing how important Kreider is in that dressing room with the young kids.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Trading Kreider for Puljujarvi would be a disaster. Even if a 1st was included. You can get a 1st and a prospect at the deadline while likely getting Puljujarvi for a 3rd round pick and prospect.

Lastly, too many are undervaluing how important Kreider is in that dressing room with the young kids.

There is no chance the Oilers are trading Puljujärvi for a 3rd and middling prospect. He’s showing the talent is still there in Liiga.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

You aren't getting Puljujarvi for a 3rd and a prospect. The Oilers have made that abundantly clear.

Also, you aren't signing Kreider for 6-7M for 6-7 years because a.) the Rangers can't do it, even close, under the cap and b.) he's not worth that, no matter how important he is "in the room". By all accounts, leadership isn't an issue in the Rangers locker room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad