Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@aufheben: “And 2020-21? My thinking is that a) goalies don't return a lot to begin with, and b) Georgiev doesn't have the pedigree that say Cory Schneider did, so the return is going to be what...a high 2nd or a 2nd + 3rd? On the other hand, they should load up on picks for the 2020 draft, though they can probably get those picks elsewhere. Georgiev-Shesterkin seems like a really nice tandem (and a cheap one).”

I think there’s a distinct possibility that Shesterkin’s play forces the issue sooner rather than later.

Right now it’s not a big deal because the preference is for Shesterkin to get a lot of time in Hartford.

I think they’re okay with potentially going with a three man rotation after the holidays. But I suspect there’s going to come a point where things will be obvious with Lundqvist and ultimately the ball will be in his court. If he elects to stay, the Rangers will at some point either have to make a difficult choice (trade, confrontation, etc.) or carry out three man rotation a little longer.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Another thought.

If Strome would accept a 4 year, $16 million dollar extension this summer. I'd lock him in. He isn't the best at one thing but does many things well. He's playing all situations and is a PPG player thus far. You could do worse for $4 million a year for a right handed 45-50 point player that can play in all situations.

For sure and also hoping that Strome values his current comfort with the organization after a few bad situations he had experienced, and agrees to a friendlier capwise contract of $3.x. 4 years is fine.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
@aufheben: “And 2020-21? My thinking is that a) goalies don't return a lot to begin with, and b) Georgiev doesn't have the pedigree that say Cory Schneider did, so the return is going to be what...a high 2nd or a 2nd + 3rd? On the other hand, they should load up on picks for the 2020 draft, though they can probably get those picks elsewhere. Georgiev-Shesterkin seems like a really nice tandem (and a cheap one).”

I think there’s a distinct possibility that Shesterkin’s play forces the issue sooner rather than later.

Right now it’s not a big deal because the preference is for Shesterkin to get a lot of time in Hartford.

I think they’re okay with potentially going with a three man rotation after the holidays. But I suspect there’s going to come a point where things will be obvious with Lundqvist and ultimately the ball will be in his court. If he elects to stay, the Rangers will at some point either have to make a difficult choice (trade, confrontation, etc.) or carry out three man rotation a little longer.
How do you see this playing out? Do you have any idea what the team's preference is should it come to this?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It will be like a series of incremental upgrade trades in the NHL video games that basically becomes Tanner Glass for Alexander Ovechkin...
“Hey Ken, Jeff here, we figured out Ryan’s problems and put him on the right track for you. Yeah, it’s weird, turns out all you had to do was get him out of Ed-, I mean, away from anyone who was employed by the Bruins when they won in 2011. What’s that? You got rid of all of those guys? Well, great news! Tell you what, you can have him for that Finnish guy one of those ex-Bruins picked so he won’t get scared when he gets back to Edmonton”

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
That’s nothing new for these parts, he was part of talks this summer.

I don’t think any of their potential trade partners from this summer are out of play right now (Colorado, Edmonton, Boston).

Not saying it’s a good idea but I could see Poo for Andersson

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
why would edmonton not be on Kreiders 11-team NTC list? Its probably something more like a hockey trade/fresh start for two players who haven't played up to billing. Andersson for Puljujarvi.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It was, but part of me thinks if they believe they can make the playoffs they wouldn’t balk at a roster player and a later pick
Strome and Smith are the obvious pieces Gorton would dangle here.

It's a tough bind for NYR if they don't get another 2nd and EDM doesn't lower their ask, as I imagine Fox plays more than 30 games, which sends our 2020 2nd to CAR

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

It's a tough bind for NYR if they don't get another 2nd and EDM doesn't lower their ask, as I imagine Fox plays more than 30 games, which sends our 2020 2nd to CAR
If either of them go back the Rangers can take some money off their books for them too to lower the price

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm interested in Pulju but not for much. B level prospect and a 3rd in 2021 is my best offer.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Not saying it’s a goodbye idea but I could see Poo for Andersson
Me too, and that's a gamble in my mind. Still a lot more likely than us recycling a pending UFA they have no chance of retaining (much less one of him waiving a NTC to go).

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Smith has a NTC too. Zero chance he's waiving to go to Edmonton.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad