Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
With Pool Party rumor + the Kreider to STL rumblings earlier in the week it's clear Gorton is being somewhat active.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How do you see this playing out? Do you have any idea what the team's preference is should it come to this?

Nothing directly stated. Though I do go back to my thought from a few years back that I wouldn’t be surprised if Lundqvist didn’t finish this contract, nor would I be surprised if he retired rather than agree to be traded.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Well we know Puljujarvi was a name that came up with talks for Edmonton's pick at the draft, so no real surprise there. The interesting new development might be Kakko's noticeably improved play after spending time with Ruutu recently. It likely doesn't have a large impact on moves but it's clear that Kakko benefited from having a fellow Finn around for a while. Granted that Ruutu is a vet and twice Kakko's age, so it's a different dynamic than a young guy like Puljujarvi. However, maybe that puts another check in the "plus column" of trying to add JP before the Dec 1st deadline.

I'd be a little surprised if it worked out as a Kreider trade though. Ignoring the NTC, I realize there's some benefit for Kreider in maybe pumping his contract value alongside McDavid, Draisaitl, etc, but it's a bad look for him if the opposite happens. Rangers won't have their 2nd this year due to the Fox deal, but is it more prudent for the rebuild to flip a 2nd and a lesser prospect for a guy who is D+3 and seemingly ready to try and crack an NHL roster again?

Really hard to put a value on it. For all we know the Oilers love Lias Andersson and would add to Puljujarvi to get him. Or perhaps the two players have just wound up on paths that put them at roughly equal value and the "straight up" deal materializes.

Reactions: Berserk

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Well we know Puljujarvi was a name that came up with talks for Edmonton's pick at the draft, so no real surprise there. The interesting new development might be Kakko's noticeably improved play after spending time with Ruutu recently. It likely doesn't have a large impact on moves but it's clear that Kakko benefited from having a fellow Finn around for a while. Granted that Ruutu is a vet and twice Kakko's age, so it's a different dynamic than a young guy like Puljujarvi. However, maybe that puts another check in the "plus column" of trying to add JP before the Dec 1st deadline.

I'd be a little surprised if it worked out as a Kreider trade though. Ignoring the NTC, I realize there's some benefit for Kreider in maybe pumping his contract value alongside McDavid, Draisaitl, etc, but it's a bad look for him if the opposite happens. Rangers won't have their 2nd this year due to the Fox deal, but is it more prudent for the rebuild to flip a 2nd and a lesser prospect for a guy who is D+3 and seemingly ready to try and crack an NHL roster again?

Really hard to put a value on it. For all we know the Oilers love Lias Andersson and would add to Puljujarvi to get him. Or perhaps the two players have just wound up on paths that put them at roughly equal value and the "straight up" deal materializes.

That may not necessarily be a good thing. Sure it'd be great for KK to have a fellow Finn on the team, but do we really want it to be a disgruntled bust like Pool Party?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
While I am not crazy about that idea from a personal standpoint, I also can’t dismiss it either.
I don't really know anything about Poolparty other than his injuries, but the organization absolutely needs more young talent at forward.

What's his contract/RFA status and all of that looking like?

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
For any of you prepared to jettison Georgiev for “futures” I have access to an Atlantic Ocean for you to leisurely stroll towards.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That may not necessarily be a good thing. Sure it'd be great for KK to have a fellow Finn on the team, but do we really want it to be a disgruntled bust like Pool Party?

I mean if you think he's a bust then that certainly skews things quite a bit in that regard. However, I've been of the opinion for a while that he really needed to get out of Edmonton and be given some time to readjust. The tools are clearly there but the confidence wasn't. Perhaps it is now. We don't need to even look outside of our own prospect pool to see that a player sometimes just isn't ready to fit and needs to go back to their comfort zone. See: Kravtsov, Vitali.

Reactions: Kendo

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't really know anything about Poolparty other than his injuries, but the organization absolutely needs more young talent at forward.

What's his contract/RFA status and all of that looking like?

ELC expired this summer and he's a RFA. Needs to join a team before Dec 1st in order to play this season. Same deal as Nylander last season.

Reactions: egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
ELC expired this summer and he's a RFA. Needs to join a team before Dec 1st in order to play this season. Same deal as Nylander last season.
Yeah I found him. He was hidden away on CapFriendly's Edmonton breakdown. Does he have to be signed before the trade or would the Rangers be trading for his rights? He's not arbitration-eligible.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I don't know how much of this is what Holland wants and how much is what Edmonton fans want (probably the latter,) but it seems like Howden or Andersson would be the guy.
That prob makes sense but if the Oilers front office believes they can keep up their current form and go on a playoff run wouldnt it make sense from them to acquire a Kreider? Especially with their scoring depth being horrendous besides Mcdavid Draisaitl and Neal

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah I found him. He was hidden away on CapFriendly's Edmonton breakdown. Does he have to be signed before the trade or would the Rangers be trading for his rights? He's not arbitration-eligible.

I'm sure the Rangers would want to know what he's looking for contract wise, but they can just trade for his rights. However the contract has to be signed by the December 1st deadline otherwise he can't play this year. Or it might be that he can play, but he'd have to clear waivers. I forgot the exact rule on that.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I'm sure the Rangers would want to know what he's looking for contract wise, but they can just trade for his rights. However the contract has to be signed by the December 1st deadline otherwise he can't play this year. Or it might be that he can play, but he'd have to clear waivers. I forgot the exact rule on that.
I wanna say it’s the can’t play part, similar to W Nylander. I think the waivers comes into play if the player is eligible for waivers, think ROR and the offer sheet debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA