Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Brett Howden is a fit for EDM. They need a young cost controlled checking line center.

I will say this though: EDM loves to take the best players off of the Oil Kings. Even if they haven't proven to be great players.

The Rangers have that piece in Robertson, who would be a 2nd round equivalent if you count him where we went.

Many had Robertson as a 1st rounder for the 2019 draft.

Robertson, and a reliable NHL ready piece that can play now will do it imo.

Outside of Fast and Howden, there isn't anything that fits the bill. Howden imo is worth more than JP at the moment, and Fast getting a former 4th overall pick as a rental would be a steal but that would be a very poor trade from an optics perspective for EDM.

Even though, Fast would really help their team today.

I think EDM is a legitimate playoff caliber team that is 2-3 forward injuries away from not being that.

The way they play now is to rely of McDavid and Drai for offense, while the rest of the team plays tight defense. When they don't play that way, they lose games. When they do play that way, they look like a team that is going to do some damage.

Given all that's happened with them over the last decade plus, you would have to think that they are going for it this year.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Howden, Reunanen and Gropp for Pool Party. I think that's fair for what Pool Party is worth now.
Puljujärvi might be 21 but is still a reclamation project. Howden straight up is overpayment. Gropp alone wouldn’t be enough, obviously.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I wouldn’t mind trading one of the ufa forwards for Pulju
Edmonton is like Arizona in the sense they need to target players with term. They know most players won’t sign with them. They’ll be looking for players with term and lacking trade protections. For us, that’s like Skjei, Trouba until next season, and that’s about it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm sure the Rangers would want to know what he's looking for contract wise, but they can just trade for his rights. However the contract has to be signed by the December 1st deadline otherwise he can't play this year. Or it might be that he can play, but he'd have to clear waivers. I forgot the exact rule on that.
What did Buffalo trade for Vesey's rights a 3rd/4th?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not saying it’s a goodbye idea but I could see Poo for Andersson

Interesting suggestion. Good optics on this trade and probably not too difficult to put additional minor pieces on a scale to even out.

IMHO it’s likely only one of Andersson or Howden will be kept as part of the long term core and so far the evidence from the Rangers consistency points out to who their preference to keep would be.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Interesting suggestion. Good optics on this trade and probably not too difficult to put additional minor pieces on a scale to even out.

IMHO it’s likely only one of Andersson or Howden will be kept as part of the long term core and so far the evidence from the Rangers consistency points out to who their preference to keep would be.
I just want to point out that in regards to Howden vs Andersson we’re seeing Quinn’s preference right now, not necessarily managements, it could be similar to a Pionk vs DeAngelo we saw last season

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I would do Howden + a 3rd in 2021. I think Howden would really succeed in EDM. We would sign Pulju and it goes Lias an opportunity as well.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Edmonton totally overplayed their hand here. Him tearing up Liiga does nothing to shift his trade value.

Barron & 2021 2nd?

:thumbd::thumbd:

Edmonton doesn’t need futures, at least not as a primary return. They need someone to step into this year’s lineup as their goal is to make the playoffs. From the Rangers perspective the Finn can’t be the primary return for Kreider as they can’t afford a return with a big question mark for him.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
A guy that I could see Edmonton wanting is Lemieux. He'd check a lot of boxes off as someone that could play with their skill over Kassian.

He's got wheels, can be physical, and is a stand up guy.

Not saying I would do it, but I could see that as the ask.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I should also say that if they’re both close in the Rangers eyes, but Edmonton has a clear preference that could be a deciding factor in who goes

See I don't think I'd trade either for JP. I think that there is something really off about JP. The hockey sense isn't there.

He is a reclaimation project, but due to his pedigree I'm willing to give up a player who won't see a Ranger sweater in 4 years in Robertson, and that's an if with a bunch of LHD prospects ahead of him. With Howden and Lias, you are at least getting a 3rd and 4th line center.

I would like to see how both those players do under a new coaching staff. A guy like John Cooper or Pete DeBoer is going to be available in July imo. I would hold off on trading either for a big maybe until some better NHL coaching comes along.

The kicker for EDM would be an NHL piece that helps them today.

Robertson & Fast helps them today and gives them a kid that they probably had as a high pick last year.

Reactions: AntNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I just want to point out that in regards to Howden vs Andersson we’re seeing Quinn’s preference right now, not necessarily managements, it could be similar to a Pionk vs DeAngelo we saw last season

Eh, I think it’s different at least so far in that Pionk eventually lost the bigger role he was given to ADA on merit before he was traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad