Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If you’re going to argue the path to success in the playoffs is having a sniper or not, I’ll fight you to the end on that. I think they’re one of the most overrated types of players in regard to team building, a luxury, not a necessity.

I think your statement is somewhat contradictory. Team building? Sure. Give me a foundation of good all-around players. But the discussion was around success in the playoffs....and given the parity around the league, it's a real X factor to have a guy on the roster that can change the tenor of a game with one shot.

That said, it's not worth worrying about right now with this squad

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t want to shit on anyone specifically but Jesus are this teams beat writers terrible

The team literally tweeted out Hayes and Zucc aren’t skating for maintenance days and these writers tweet “Not sure where Hayes or Zucc is”

It’s embarrassing how bad the coverage is for this team

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think your statement is somewhat contradictory. Team building? Sure. Give me a foundation of good all-around players. But the discussion was around success in the playoffs....and given the parity around the league, it's a real X factor to have a guy on the roster that can change the tenor of a game with one shot.

That said, it's not worth worrying about right now with this squad
Again, luxury, not necessity. What team has ever won with a sniper as the driving force of their offense? Everyone whines about Nash and Gaborik not being able to put this teams offense on their back in the playoffs, but they never want to talk about how easy it is to shut down these types of guys when you can focus on giving them less space to do anything

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don’t want to **** on anyone specifically but Jesus are this teams beat writers terrible

The team literally tweeted out Hayes and Zucc aren’t skating for maintenance days and these writers tweet “Not sure where Hayes or Zucc is”

It’s embarrassing how bad the coverage is for this team

Never forget this gem:

Reactions: TheTakedown

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Wow. Lmao. Whine and cry? He is completely at fault for his mistakes. They are on him and no one else. Stop with damn excuses for him. 24 years old. When will it click in for him? Next season at 25? How about the one after that? He was paid handsomely and has been crap
What are your expectations of him? He's pretty much playing the role as our top dmen. Is he one? No. Not at this point in his young career.

I also don't see dmen peaking after 2~3 years. I understand your frustration with him. I'm right there with you when he makes a boneheaded play. But even Norris caliber dmen **** up.

I think what's important to Brady is to pick his spots when he jumps up. I like his aggressiveness when he does so, but he's prone to doing so at the wrong time. That mistake there can be fixed with coaching and experience.

Most of his gaffes can be fixed with more experience. You think of him as dumb - but I see a bright kid who's still developing.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Claesson is tracking towards stealing Smith’s spot as far as I’m concerned

Should be Staal’s spot that’s in jeopardy but I’m not gonna harp on that.

This goes back to what someone said earlier. Plenty of cheap solid LD out there to cultivate. That’s why spending 4 mil on smith to have him play his current role sucks. He’s not tradeable.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Claesson is tracking towards stealing Smith’s spot as far as I’m concerned

Should be Staal’s spot that’s in jeopardy but I’m not gonna harp on that.

Yeah it really shouldn't be Smith's spot that is being stolen, I agree there. One would assume, with Claesson's play to this point, if it continues, they would want to re-sign him. He is a RFA at years end.

Chara went down last night. Their defense is depleted. Chara. McAvoy. Carlo. Miller. Vakanainen. All out. All of a sudden that John Moore signing in the off-season looks like a genius move as he and Krug are last men standing.

For those in the 'know', can teams move cap hits? For example, could the Rangers and Bruins trade and the Rangers get the other $1.9m of Beleskey's salary as part of the deal?

Reactions: egelband

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
This goes back to what someone said earlier. Plenty of cheap solid LD out there to cultivate. That’s why spending 4 mil on smith to have him play his current role sucks. He’s not tradeable.
So true. The one group of players not to sign long-term for a lot of cap, 2nd and 3rd pairing LHD, and the Rangers did it with Smith, Staal, and Skjei.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Although RD is definitely a harder position to find players for, I wonder how much the Rangers were interested in Foote. They were trading the organization's best skater and he is an LD. They might have been looking for a D that could potentially replace McDonagh specifically.

That's why Hajek was in the trade. Gorton specifically wanted him

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I feel like the probability stats aren't good for young players who struggle to start their pro careers.

For every one that pulls it out it feels like 99 others just never reach their potential. Reclamations are just not worth the cost of investment, unless they're essentially free like Puempel.

Quinn might be just the right type of coach for a kid like Sprong with a big attitude. You want to talk about character and confidence? Sprong seems like a guy whos got it. Pens don't have time for that right now, Rangers can afford to take the risk

Justin17

Nov 9, 2018
Does Eklund have any credibility? He said there is a lot of interest in Zuc and the Rangers could be a landing spot for Nylander.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I like @Ola post earlier about LHDs and depth. Rangers have been very good bargain bin finders. Besides a good draft and spending money wisely, bargain bin hunting is essential for sustained success in a salary cap era. You either need to find young guys who have been blocked in an organization and give them a shot, or an older reclamation project that has one or two skills that fir your team's system. Grabner was the perfect example of that here.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad