Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-one-way-a-lou-lamoriello-rescue-of-islanders-would-work/

In May Larry Brooks wrote that Ryan Spooner didn't fit in the Rangers long term plans. 26 years old. Perimeter player. He scored a lot last year when he came over for Nash. Where did that get them? He didn't continue with that production this year.

Did you read the letter? GMJG is looking to get younger. He doesn't want players who will be UFA at the end of their deal.

Quinn is a college coach. He values toughness. Grit. Engagement. Spooner has been a healthy scratch several times this season. Quinn won't stand for players who don't get involved in the play. Now he is no longer a Ranger. Good riddance.

Ryan Strome. 25 years old. Deal ends after next year. RFA. Deal him at the deadline for a third round pick. In 2006 Brad Marchand was a third round pick by the Boston Bruins. Who was the teams GM then? Gorton. Draft the next Marchand.

Great post!

I agree completely. I never liked Strome when he was a top prospect and I think many carry a grudge — in lack of better words — against him.

But maybe he can work his way up now? Also a RHS center, always in demand. I didn’t like Spooner — think there was a risk we would stuck with him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Staal has been really solid this season. I get that he’s not a modern defenseman. He’s slow and doesn’t move the puck well. But he has been good penalty killing and generally solid defensively.

Wat.

Staal has been on ice for a team high 13 PP goals against. Hes been horrific on the PK.

Edit: Just as a frame of reference, the team has given up 15 in total

Last edited:
Reactions: QJL and RGY

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Wat.

Staal has been on ice for a team high 13 PP goals against. Hes been horrific on the PK.

Edit: Just as a frame of reference, the team has given up 15 in total

Yes, but how many short handed goals have we given up when he was on the ice?!?

200w.gif

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I guess my only real issue with dealing spooner is why the hell we resigned him and to a two year deal.

That makes ZERO sense to me and it scares me that this management group made that call

Reactions: Kovalev27

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I can only imagine RB had an aneurysm when he saw the Spooner for Strome trade seeing as it wasnt a Hayes/Zucc/Spooner/Nams for picks/prospects trade to help the tank.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think another advantage with this trade is that Strome is a lot more moldable than Spooner if you get what I mean. Spooner was what he was. He did his thing and that was that. It don’t differs a ton in terms of age, but Strome is still trying to find his ways in the NHL. I definitely think Quinn can do more work with Strome than with Spooner.

Strome will be useful for us on the PK and hopefully he can develop chemistry with our depth guys and get something going ...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I guess my only real issue with dealing spooner is why the hell we resigned him and to a two year deal.

That makes ZERO sense to me and it scares me that this management group made that call
This is quite the overreaction. They signed him after he had a great end to the season with the team. He had put up numbers in the past that put him in that ballpark of AAV and with other comparable contracts in the league. Im sure they thought that if he played well this year they can get a good deal for him right off the bat at this deadline OR deal him at the draft/2020 deadline. But he didnt workout here. They can still do the same with Strome. Spooner was never going to get you a large return regardless of the contract. Not sure I understand the panic over handing him a 2 year deal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think another advantage with this trade is that Strome is a lot more moldable than Spooner if you get what I mean. Spooner was what he was. He did his thing and that was that. It don’t differs a ton in terms of age, but Strome is still trying to find his ways in the NHL. I definitely think Quinn can do more work with Strome than with Spooner.

Strome will be useful for us on the PK and hopefully he can develop chemistry with our depth guys and get something going ...

Hopefully it gets Zucc off the PK.

Staals been bad, he’s been worse.

Zibanejad too.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Strome obviously has talent since he was a top-5 pick. He’s obviously stagnated since, but like @Ola said, there’s a workable package there. The righty shot helps too.

I see this as subbing out a guy with a super low floor and higher ceiling for a guy with a much higher lower floor and lower ceiling. At least Strome will be a useful day-to-day player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad