Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
No.

McKenzie has already shut down the nylander to NY stuff.
I wouldn’t say he “shut it down”, just that, at the moment, it’s extremely unlikely. He did specifically say we have interest in him.

I would say it’s a huge long shot overall, though. We don’t have what they want. That could change as we get closer to December 1st.

Reactions: RGY

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I wouldn’t say he “shut it down”, just that, at the moment, it’s extremely unlikely. He did specifically say we have interest in him.

I would say it’s a huge long shot overall, though. We don’t have what they want. That could change as we get closer to December 1st.

if hes moved- and i think he wants to stay in tor but he wants to get paid (his dad is in charge), hes gonna end up in st lou or carolina.

those 2 spots.

toronto is one solid Dman away from contending for real and those teams have the goods.

parayko
pesce/slavin

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He did, but he also said that the fit wasn't there. If he moves, It will be Carolina. They have the need and the assets to do it.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Quinn might be just the right type of coach for a kid like Sprong with a big attitude. You want to talk about character and confidence? Sprong seems like a guy whos got it. Pens don't have time for that right now, Rangers can afford to take the risk
Just wait till Quinn scratches him after it working on ADA and every 3rd post is complaining about trading for Sprong and not playing him and how dumb this coach is and how the front office can't be happy

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-one-way-a-lou-lamoriello-rescue-of-islanders-would-work/

In May Larry Brooks wrote that Ryan Spooner didn't fit in the Rangers long term plans. 26 years old. Perimeter player. He scored a lot last year when he came over for Nash. Where did that get them? He didn't continue with that production this year.

Did you read the letter? GMJG is looking to get younger. He doesn't want players who will be UFA at the end of their deal.

Quinn is a college coach. He values toughness. Grit. Engagement. Spooner has been a healthy scratch several times this season. Quinn won't stand for players who don't get involved in the play. Now he is no longer a Ranger. Good riddance.

Ryan Strome. 25 years old. Deal ends after next year. RFA. Deal him at the deadline for a third round pick. In 2006 Brad Marchand was a third round pick by the Boston Bruins. Who was the teams GM then? Gorton. Draft the next Marchand.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-one-way-a-lou-lamoriello-rescue-of-islanders-would-work/

In May Larry Brooks wrote that Ryan Spooner didn't fit in the Rangers long term plans. 26 years old. Perimeter player. He scored a lot last year when he came over for Nash. Where did that get them? He didn't continue with that production this year. Did you read the letter? GMJG is looking to get younger. He doesn't want players who will be UFA at the end of their deal. Quinn is a college coach. He values toughness. Grit. Engagement. Spooner has been a healthy scratch several times this season. Quinn won't stand for players who don't get involved in the play. Now he is no longer a Ranger. Good riddance. Ryan Strome. 25 years old. Deal ends after next year. RFA. Deal him at the deadline for a third round pick. In 2006 Brad Marchand was a third round pick by the Boston Bruins. Who was the teams GM then? Jim Gorton. Draft the next Marchand.

Damn that’s funny.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
While I respect your opinion, I 100% disagree. Dubas has a goal, to win a cup. That is how he will be judged. He has all the pieces in place right now, except a Nylander or a WN replacement. Kreider will easily put up 30 playing with the talent on Toronto and comes at a paltry $4.625 cap hit, compared to the $7-8 million Willie is rumored to want (or at least, last I saw).

A guy like Kreider + one of our youngsters would be a great deal for them.

With that being said a deal for Pesce does make a ton of sense. But that doesn't change the fact that the Rangers do have the pieces to make the deal happen and that was my original point. Saying teams have more attractive pieces is an untrue statement. When it comes to prospects as well as expendable, talented top 6 players on good contracts, we have as much as any team in the league and I believe this is a case of us undervaluing our own players and overvaluing other teams players.

I go Zucc @ 50%, Shattenkirk @ 50%, and Toronto's 1st/2nd rounder.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah it really shouldn't be Smith's spot that is being stolen, I agree there. One would assume, with Claesson's play to this point, if it continues, they would want to re-sign him. He is a RFA at years end.

Chara went down last night. Their defense is depleted. Chara. McAvoy. Carlo. Miller. Vakanainen. All out. All of a sudden that John Moore signing in the off-season looks like a genius move as he and Krug are last men standing.

For those in the 'know', can teams move cap hits? For example, could the Rangers and Bruins trade and the Rangers get the other $1.9m of Beleskey's salary as part of the deal?

You would have to do 2 separate transactions.

Rangers would have to trade Belesky to the Bruins
Bruins would then trade Belesky to the Rangers with the full salary intact

Rest assured that the team taking on the remainder of that contract is going to ask for a draft pick or throwaway prospect for this transaction since cap space is in fact currency

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think Smith is next. Once McQuaid is back he Will be gone. Likely a lateral move to someone desperate for veteran D. McQuaid, Zucc and likely Hayes will be dealt by the TDL. Maybe Georgiev as well. Next year Namestnikov and Shattenkirk. Possibly Kreider. That Should net us a lot

Stuff you've heard or your opinion?

Smith at @ $2.175M for 2.5 years isn't a decent deal for a team who needs a middle #4 dman who can play #3 in a pinch. Wouldn't be worth a lot in the return but the Rangers would benefit with the extra $1.025M~ in cap space compared to assigning him to Hartford

Hayes, if he's this good, i want to keep him and put Andersson on the 3rd line.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

In May Larry Brooks wrote that Ryan Spooner didn't fit in the Rangers long term plans. 26 years old. Perimeter player. He scored a lot last year when he came over for Nash. Where did that get them? He didn't continue with that production this year.

Did you read the letter? GMJG is looking to get younger. He doesn't want players who will be UFA at the end of their deal.

Quinn is a college coach. He values toughness. Grit. Engagement. Spooner has been a healthy scratch several times this season. Quinn won't stand for players who don't get involved in the play. Now he is no longer a Ranger. Good riddance.

Ryan Strome. 25 years old. Deal ends after next year. RFA. Deal him at the deadline for a third round pick. In 2006 Brad Marchand was a third round pick by the Boston Bruins. Who was the teams GM then? Gorton. Draft the next Marchand.
Do you want to be best friends?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
My opinion. But I heard We are gonna do more trades. Rebuild is far from over

Smith @ 50%

Zucc @ 50%

McQuiad for a 3rd

Georgiev is gone next year I think. Rangers will want a reliable backup around unless Shesty come over next year in which case he will split time with Hank

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
If you’re going to argue the path to success in the playoffs is having a sniper or not, I’ll fight you to the end on that. I think they’re one of the most overrated types of players in regard to team building, a luxury, not a necessity.

Well scoring certainly was our big issue the last couple of runs. Ultimately you'll need everything to make it, but scoring is the safest bet. We need more finishers, be they snipers or playmakers or whatever we want to call it. We still lack finishing, prospect-wise. Zibby and Kreider are doing a fine job, but we need more.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
My opinion. But I heard We are gonna do more trades. Rebuild is far from over
Well we know that we will definitely be making moves by the TDL. I wonder if we do more by Thanksgiving and in December. Not sure when McQuaid will be back but it makes sense to get rid of Smith's contract. I would take a 2020 late round pick.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It just seems like there’s a lot of mediocrity in the league right now.
I actually think there are a lot of good teams. Parity, indeed. But I’m constantly impressed by how good most teams are. There are very few slouches and most everyone is balls-to-the-wall.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Gorton said when Hayes signed a 1 yr deal their goal is to extend him.

You need to relax on this trade hysteria. Very little may actually happen, they like the players they have.
I am thinking this too. I believe Hayes stays. Zucc, Namestnikov, and McQuaid go if they get good value back. Not sure there’s anyone else left they’d look to move.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

You’re the man :laugh:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I just don't get why Staal is unscratchable
I think Staal has been really solid this season. I get that he’s not a modern defenseman. He’s slow and doesn’t move the puck well. But he has been good penalty killing and generally solid defensively.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like @Ola post earlier about LHDs and depth. Rangers have been very good bargain bin finders. Besides a good draft and spending money wisely, bargain bin hunting is essential for sustained success in a salary cap era. You either need to find young guys who have been blocked in an organization and give them a shot, or an older reclamation project that has one or two skills that fir your team's system. Grabner was the perfect example of that here.
I think every team has one or two Bargain Bin players who are working out. I wouldn’t bet my life on it and I’m not going to comb through other teams rosters. But i don’t think the Rangers are particularly good - or bad - at finding diamonds in the rough. Though it seems the Rangers are good at developing goaltenders :)

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think Staal has been really solid this season. I get that he’s not a modern defenseman. He’s slow and doesn’t move the puck well. But he has been good penalty killing and generally solid defensively.
He's been ok for him, but that doesn't mean he has to be in the lineup all the time. It's not a huge problem right now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad