Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
No chance.

And no chance he accepts a trade in season. He has a family and a NMC. Maybe in the offseason.
Again, it needs to be the right team. I'm not going to throw out specific teams because frankly, I haven't done much research.

One, I don't think Staal would accept a trade to a bubble team, only true contenders. Two, I don't think he accepts a trade if he thinks there's a good chance we're making the playoffs. His role, if anything, has grown this season playing alongside Pionk.

IIRC, he's also our best PKer based on possession. Makes sense. Long wing span and his lack of foot speed rarely gets exposed in the pure zone scheme of the PK. He could be a great add for a team looking for a bottom pair guy with excellent PK abilities.

You could absolutely be right about his family though.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Again, it needs to be the right team. I'm not going to throw out specific teams because frankly, I haven't done much research.

One, I don't think Staal would accept a trade to a bubble team, only true contenders. Two, I don't think he accepts a trade if he thinks there's a good chance we're making the playoffs. His role, if anything, has grown this season playing alongside Pionk.

IIRC, he's also our best PKer based on possession. Makes sense. Long wing span and his lack of foot speed rarely gets exposed in the pure zone scheme of the PK. He could be a great add for a team looking for a bottom pair guy with excellent PK abilities.

You could absolutely be right about his family though.

Again, what's the team

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Claesson illustrates why Staal probably is untradeable.

Claesson is a 6-7 journeyman. Like he have no issues when he plays really. Moves well. Solid along the boards. Make a good first pass. Has size. But he isn’t anything special either.

All that — AS A LHS — means that you are a 6-7 guy. All teams except maybe 1-2 are sat at LD and have LD depth. If Claesson was a RHS though — OMG he would live in another universe. Maybe it’s an exaggeration to say that he would be immensely valuable, but really, he would become a 5-6m per D in no time. Everyone is looking for that D described above on the right side. 20+ teams.

And it’s the same with Staal. Orpik and Engeland had jobs to go to in the spring last season. Does anyone like that even exist at the left side anymore? I can’t think of anyone.

With a year left I think Staal could be traded. Not 3.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Claesson illustrates why Staal probably is untradeable.

Claesson is a 6-7 journeyman. Like he have no issues when he plays really. Moves well. Solid along the boards. Make a good first pass. Has size. But he isn’t anything special either.

All that — AS A LHS — means that you are a 6-7 guy. All teams except maybe 1-2 are sat at LD and have LD depth. If Claesson was a RHS though — OMG he would live in another universe. Maybe it’s an exaggeration to say that he would be immensely valuable, but really, he would become a 5-6m per D in no time. Everyone is looking for that D described above on the right side. 20+ teams.

And it’s the same with Staal. Orpik and Engeland had jobs to go to in the spring last season. Does anyone like that even exist at the left side anymore? I can’t think of anyone.

With a year left I think Staal could be traded. Not 3.

Claesson is a little better than that imo. He was Karlsson's partner in Ottawa for like an entire season.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Two older GMs (right lol, suddenly realized that I am not even 100% who am the GM in LA right now) made a trade yesterday. Pittsburgh also discussed with Anaheim.

The younger GMs, more inexperienced GMs, are way to afraid to make moves. Gorton is of course an exception. Chiarelli got burnt and won’t get anything done anymore. Dorian, Benning and the likes are don’t making moves. These guys know that there job is safe for a long time if they do nothing and that they exposes themselves tremendously if they make a move.

Maybe Gorton should make Slats more involved again... if he is to make a trade he got to become friendly with the old guard.

Reactions: Ori

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
This forum is always a goldmine of overreaction after a loss.
Zucc is on pace for his usual production overall and is a little rusty in his first game back from injury.. but no he sucks.
Skjei sucks but let's not give him sometime to recover from AVs horrid coaching and system.
They're really bad but Toronto will want them for Nylander!!
And the funny thing is that the main overreactions after losses are from the people that get mad after wins because it f***s up the tank.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I really dont care what we get in return for either. Zucc is clearly losing a step. Skjei is embarrassingly bad.

I was about to create a value topic about Brady Skjei, but I know how HF will respond so I don`bother after some bad games by him, because Brady Skjei is better than this. And Zucc might be looking for a new challenge who knows.. Although I admit he did not look 100% healthy in this game, because one of his legs was still in pain.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I was about to create a value topic about Brady Skjei, but I know how HF will respond so I don`bother after some bad games by him, because Brady Skjei is better than this. And Zucc might be looking for a new challenge who knows.. Although I admit he did not look 100% healthy in this game, because one of his legs was still in pain.

We better get used to it though, no D like ever (?) have looked good on a tanking and struggling team.

Reactions: Ori

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This forum is always a goldmine of overreaction after a loss.
Zucc is on pace for his usual production overall and is a little rusty in his first game back from injury.. but no he sucks.
Skjei sucks but let's not give him sometime to recover from AVs horrid coaching and system.
They're really bad but Toronto will want them for Nylander!!
And the funny thing is that the main overreactions after losses are from the people that get mad after wins because it ****s up the tank.
Better fact check this....since im the one “overreacting”...fact check this because ive never complained once about a win screwing up the tank. Not once.

Secondly, Skjei has sucked, and he has sucked for awhile. Stop blaming it on “AVs horrid system”. Were almost a quarter of the way into the season under Quinn. They gave this kid good money. His issues go way beyond a “systems issue”. He is dumb. Plain and simple. He makes terrible reads, bad pinches, positioning is crap, and just makes braindead plays with the puck on his stick. On the first goal he was covering space. Lost. In the 2nd period puck came to him at the point, had some space and took the classic mcdonagh water pistol wrister that easily got blocked and went the other way for a scoring chance. In 3rd, well, we also saw that lovely pass he made which ended up being the real difference in the game. He stinks. Bench him. Get Smith back in. This kid doesnt battle hard enough. He plays like his spot is guaranteed. Complacent. You see guys like Pionk and ADA working every shift. Its just going through the motions for Skjei.

Stop with the excuses for the kid. He fooled us in the short stint when he first came up. He isnt as good as we thought or hoped.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hayes 5yr/30M; last 2 years a NMC

Good luck with that. Hayes is a pending UFA, which means he is eligible for NTC/NMC clauses in every year of his next contract. I don't think there's any chance that he doesn't demand at least some trade protection right off the bat. He knows there's a good chance he'll be traded by the deadline. He isn't going to sign a new contract with us and give us the ability to still trade him wherever we want for the next 3 years.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hayes is gone. we have depth there and hes not getting a 5 yrs deal. keep playing well kevin.

skjei goes no where. he had a crap game. it happens. i still see a solid 2 way guy. he and ADA for the most part have played well together.

freddy k needs to play. hes solid. few holes in his game. at 25, hes an affordable 3rd pair guy. whats not to like ? and hes swedish

zucc looks like dead man skating. hes shooting more but he seems slow and disinterested

its one game. the piles love to play us. henrik was average. greis wasnt. we lost. big deal.

please just dont let us finish 1 point out of the payoffs....

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
hayes is gone. we have depth there and hes not getting a 5 yrs deal. keep playing well kevin.

skjei goes no where. he had a crap game. it happens. i still see a solid 2 way guy. he and ADA for the most part have played well together.

freddy k needs to play. hes solid. few holes in his game. at 25, hes an affordable 3rd pair guy. whats not to like ? and hes swedish

zucc looks like dead man skating. hes shooting more but he seems slow and disinterested

its one game. the piles love to play us. henrik was average. greis wasnt. we lost. big deal.

please just dont let us finish 1 point out of the payoffs....

We won't.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Better fact check this....since im the one “overreacting”...fact check this because ive never complained once about a win screwing up the tank. Not once.

Secondly, Skjei has sucked, and he has sucked for awhile. Stop blaming it on “AVs horrid system”. Were almost a quarter of the way into the season under Quinn. They gave this kid good money. His issues go way beyond a “systems issue”. He is dumb. Plain and simple. He makes terrible reads, bad pinches, positioning is crap, and just makes braindead plays with the puck on his stick. On the first goal he was covering space. Lost. In the 2nd period puck came to him at the point, had some space and took the classic mcdonagh water pistol wrister that easily got blocked and went the other way for a scoring chance. In 3rd, well, we also saw that lovely pass he made which ended up being the real difference in the game. He stinks. Bench him. Get Smith back in. This kid doesnt battle hard enough. He plays like his spot is guaranteed. Complacent. You see guys like Pionk and ADA working every shift. Its just going through the motions for Skjei.

Stop with the excuses for the kid. He fooled us in the short stint when he first came up. He isnt as good as we thought or hoped.
I blame his dip in production on matchups frankly. Hes the only competent left d this team has. Hes on pace for 30 points and will have a even plus minus than last year. His corsi isnt good but it's not god awful either.
he simply is not a first pairing defenseman or at least not a first pair guy when hes expected to be the defensive anchor and make up for Pionk's defensive mistakes. So a guy drawing first pair matchups like barzal and Crosby and ovie is going to have numbers that reflect playing against those caliber players.
And as much as I love Pionk hes not exactly the best player in his own end either, but he is getting better.
So no I'm not making excuse for Skjei, I'm just not going to overreact and call him a bust when hes been a damn good player for 3 years and is performing on par in his current role. In a 60 minute fast pace game a player is going to make mistakes. It's a long season.

Hes not McDonagh, and I feel that's what you want or expect him to be.

And on the nylander issue, I am always highly critical of trading for a winger playing on the wing of a generational talent and expecting the same production. *coughNamestnikovcough*

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm fine so far with most of the moves and the roster building ...

BUT WE STILL DON'T HAVE A ****ING SNIPER IN THE SYSTEM!!!!!!!

What's a sniper? Is Panarin a sniper? How about Crosby? I'm good with the type of guys the Rangers have been keying in on. Guys who have high hockey IQ and good all-around skill-sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad