Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Another expansion draft is coming soon. Seattle’s building should be ready for 2020-21. They might get their team later this year. The NHL CBA expires after 21-22. Both sides have an opt out after 19-20. They have to give notice by September 2019 which isn’t that far away. Elliotte Friedman attended an NHLPA agents meeting in Toronto a few weeks ago. An agent told him they don’t believe the owners will exercise their opt out. Both sides will have to figure out a new CBA in the near future. The NHL doesn’t want to have a work stoppage at the same time Seattle has paid $650M for a team. The NHLPA will have 100 SPC’s,60 NHL players and a good number of AHL players with the two expansion teams.

Daly said the same expansion draft rules for Seattle. 7 forwards,3 D and 1 goaltender or 8 skaters and 1 goaltender. First and second year professionals are exempt. NMC players have to be protected. The Rangers don’t have many contracts in 20-21. Zibanejad. Lundqvist. Staal. Shattenkirk. Smith. Lundqvist and Staal have a NMC. Will Staal be on the team or will he be bought out by then?

Their young players would be exempt if the draft is held in June 2020.

Chytil,Andersson,Howden,Hajek, Lindgren,etc will be exempt. They would be two year pros.

At the moment, Georgiev is the one who if he keeps developing would most likely be poached. I don't see a 29 or 30 year old Fast as too appetizing even if he's still producing.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If I was Gorton, I would be heavily looking into how badly Montreal wants to get rid of Andrew Shaw's contract.

Staal + Vesey

for

Shaw + Galchenyuk

we take on ~3M in salary

Shaw although massively overpaid can still be a useful player at times, and is an agitator which we don't have. Gotta think Galchenyuk is on the block. Both in their mid 20's still.

Staal is still an ok defenseman with less years remaining on his contract than Shaw

Vesey thrown in as a sweetener, and to replace Shaw's production.

They free up some more space to make a run at Tavares

would anybody do this?

does montreal do this?

can this be massaged into a workable deal?

combine this with a Zucc for Klefbom deal, Sign Kovalchuk,

Kreider - Zib - Buch
Galchy - Hayes - Spooner
Kovalchuk - Chytil - Lias
Names/trade/FA/call-up - Shaw - Fast

Klefbom - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Smith/ADA/Pionk
FA/Rookie/Gilmour/Dahlin :naughty: - Smith/ADA/Pionk

Hank
Georgiev

That team looks pretty good. D still a little weak, maybe move Namestnikov/Spooner/some later picks for D, could Sign John Moore for bottom pairing.
No to Shaw, thanks. Not the direction I’d like the Rangers to go and I’m pretty sure management agrees.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Best guess they trade MZA, and one of Spooner/Namestnikov and sign Kovalchuk. Maybe they move Vesey.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Fast
Kovalchuk-Chytil-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Andersson/Vesey
Andersson/Lettieri/Carey/Nieves/UFA vet

I am also hoping that we will see some hockey deals. Everyone knows that Gorton is open for business.

It’s seems like the average process leading up to a trade takes like 12-24 months. You start talking. It’s so hard to get something done for these GMs. Names are tossed back and forth, talks stall and some time passes, you get to another deadline or draft or whatever, and talks pick up again. After some time the stars might align.

I am sure Gorts ongoing talks with Winnipeg regarding Trouba is a process like that. Something could happen, or not. I bet Gorts has at least a handful of processes like that running around the league.

After the deadline — Gorton should have the ammo to really pressure these situations if there is something we really think can make sense long term.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just what we need. Another city being gifted a team while 30 GMs who worked hard to build their organization get players stolen.

Vegas gets to keep everyone though. What an absolute joke.

Was it a joke when San Jose was exempt in 1992?
Was it a joke when Nashville was exempt in 1999?
Was it a joke when Nashville and Atlanta were exempt in 2000?

New teams being exempt from expansion drafts is normal.

Reactions: mike14 and E-Train

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
So, I threw a poll out there. EDM's first round pick for Zuccarello, and Jonathan Willis who cover the Oil chimed in. I think Zucc to EDM is a good match, just not sure how much more NYR would have to add.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sign Paul Statsny for 1 year and 3.8m and Toby Enstrom for 2 year and 3.2m per.

Trade;
Statsny @50% retained,
Enstrom @50% retained,
Brett Howden, and
Tampa’s 1st
for
Jacob Trouba

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Signing 2 players and immediately trading them with 50% salary retention will do wonders for how appealing you are to future FAs.

This is of course agreed with Winnipeg and the players!

We can take on salary next season, Winnipeg want to keep those players. Short term deals. Gives Peg room to reup Armia, Morrissey and Hellebuyck on good long term deals that Chevy loves while also giving them maneuverability at the deadline. We have cap space next season no matter what.

I don’t even think it’s anything fishy with it. Gorts talks with Chevy. We can enable you to open up some cap space and save money next season, this is the deal, does it work for you. Chevy talks to the players. Gorts don’t have to have the players to offer them around. Then he can sign him. Would be zero circumvention risk, it’s a tool available under the CBA (I think).

Sign and trade deal, doesn’t they have these kind of deals in the NBA?

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No to Trouba. Please people, just let this die. He isn't the right fit for our team and he is going to want a MAAAASSSSIIVVVVEEEEE deal.

I know! ;)

Rationale:
1. Trouba is complete on the right side. He can PP, play ES and PK. He has good size. We don’t have anyone with size or that can PK on the right side. They are also really hard to get.

2. It’s easier and it goes faster to collect assets for 4 forward lines than a blueline. BUT, without a good blueline the forwards won’t thrive. It’s hard to develop Ds on a crappy team.

Hence I definitely would jump at an opportunity to kind of get the fundamentals for a potential Cup winning blueline in place immediately.

3. Trouba would cost a ton probably 7m+ and 7 years. It’s overpayment, but not by much. 1m per? 1.5m per? We don’t have cap issues. We will waste money left and right the coming years, every year we are wasting a lot of money left and right. I don’t think we will come across many better options.

The depth chart for the future would be very very good:
Skjei-Trouba
Hajak-Pionk
Lindgren-TDA
Rykov-Gilmour
Bereglazov-Sproul

Given that depth chart, the massive amount of picks we have, how attractive we are for UDFAs and so forth — I don’t for a second am afraid that we couldn’t fill those two LD positions behind Skjei with very good players and a right side behind Trouba and Pionk, that quite possibly might even already be complete with TDA.

My point is just, we are giving up a lot to get him. We have to give him a massive contract. BUT — it would quite possibly mean that we more or less could close the books on our blueline the coming 3-5 years. That would be a gigantic advantage. Shesty is coming over to replace Hank. No need to pick high goalies, let Benny work magic. Can focus on finding the forwards. Sure draft Ds for upgrades and trade assets and future needs, but we could primarily focus on forwards.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I know! ;)

Rationale:
1. Trouba is complete on the right side. He can PP, play ES and PK. He has good size. We don’t have anyone with size or that can PK on the right side. They are also really hard to get.

2. It’s easier and it goes faster to collect assets for 4 forward lines than a blueline. BUT, without a good blueline the forwards won’t thrive. It’s hard to develop Ds on a crappy team.

Hence I definitely would jump at an opportunity to kind of get the fundamentals for a potential Cup winning blueline in place immediately.

3. Trouba would cost a ton probably 7m+ and 7 years. It’s overpayment, but not by much. 1m per? 1.5m per? We don’t have cap issues. We will waste money left and right the coming years, every year we are wasting a lot of money left and right. I don’t think we will come across many better options.

The depth chart for the future would be very very good:
Skjei-Trouba
Hajak-Pionk
Lindgren-TDA
Rykov-Gilmour
Bereglazov-Sproul

Given that depth chart, the massive amount of picks we have, how attractive we are for UDFAs and so forth — I don’t for a second am afraid that we couldn’t fill those two LD positions behind Skjei with very good players and a right side behind Trouba and Pionk, that quite possibly might even already be complete with TDA.

My point is just, we are giving up a lot to get him. We have to give him a massive contract. BUT — it would quite possibly mean that we more or less could close the books on our blueline the coming 3-5 years. That would be a gigantic advantage. Shesty is coming over to replace Hank. No need to pick high goalies, let Benny work magic. Can focus on finding the forwards. Sure draft Ds for upgrades and trade assets and future needs, but we could primarily focus on forwards.
Bear gloves is done with NYR and vice versa

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Trade;
Statsny @50% retained,
Enstrom @50% retained,
Brett Howden, and
Tampa’s 1st
for
Jacob Trouba
Stastny wouldn’t agree to a one year deal especially with us, he’d want term and more money than that
Jets also say no to that
I’m not a big fan of Trouba, he seems to think he’s some elite dman and will command way too much money

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Was it a joke when San Jose was exempt in 1992?
Was it a joke when Nashville was exempt in 1999?
Was it a joke when Nashville and Atlanta were exempt in 2000?

New teams being exempt from expansion drafts is normal.
Its not my money and they're not my players but I can imagine the argument revolving around whether or not Vegas got a cut of Seattle's franchise fee.

And the exemption isn't based on being the previous "new" team. If Seattle starts in 2020, that's 3 seasons under Vegas' belt. If they get a cut, their team should be exposed.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

Trade;
Statsny @50% retained,
Enstrom @50% retained,
Brett Howden, and
Tampa’s 1st
for
Jacob Trouba

this is ridiculous. Your analysis is impeccable. I think you're the best poster on this entire board - but what is the point of this? Sign two players to trade them? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad