Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Have you seen his production over the last two seasons?

Of course.

Answer me this, watch Minny play in the POs. The way Eric Staal looks — would you want him to be your 4th line center in the POs? Would you take him to center your 4th line for 800k per?

He is clearly one of the worst players on the ice, in all series. I am fully aware that he scored 42 goals this season, but watch him play.

I am not saying that Eric Staal sucks in all areas of hockey, he is clutch and still very good in some areas. But he isn’t capable of staying with the pace the way the game is played right now at center, not even remotely. JMHO, anyone is free to disagree. But I would definitely advice anyone to actually watch how he looks in the POs right now.

And it was the same last year. He has 3 pts in his last 9 games despite a ton of ice time.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Every now and then the topic of Eric Staal comes up. Oohh why couldn't we do more with him? Why didn't we keep him? But like watch Minny in the POs. Eric Staal is a burden for his team, way to slow to skate against better teams when the games look like they do during the POs. Sure he is clutch, but I don't think he cut it at center at the highest level. Last year he was 0+1 in 5 games in the POs and this year he has better numbers with 1+1 in 4 games. But he is just not good at all.

This year in 4 games he has a CF% of 42% which is tremendously bad for a team that has trailed as much as they have. Last year he was bottom 5 on Minny.

Thank god we didn't keep him. Slow centers just don't work well in this league right now.
Minnesota is a 37% CF team in the series, so Staal is actually way better than anyone else on his team. Don't see how that is an indictment on his play. CF rel of +7.89%.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Why we didn't sign Eric Staal is fairly obvious, and has nothing to do with his performance right now. (He has been exceptional)

For every Eric Staal renaissance past age 31, there are a dozen Brad Richards' and Scott Gomezs who are just never the same again. The Rangers made the right move from the standpoint of probability.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
No I don't want Eric Staal to be my 4th line center I want him to be my 1st or 2nd line center.

Also sick use of CF% man. Staal has the 3rd best CF60, 2nd best CA60, and best CF% of any forward on the Wild in the playoffs. Just the whole team is outmatched. But yea. He's the problem. Right. Stop being biased everyone knows you don't like Eric Staal.

Reactions: Inferno and Phoicon

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No I don't want Eric Staal to be my 4th line center I want him to be my 1st or 2nd line center.

Also sick use of CF% man. Staal has the 3rd best CF60, 2nd best CA60, and best CF% of any forward on the Wild in the playoffs. Just the whole team is outmatched. But yea. He's the problem. Right. Stop being biased everyone knows you don't like Eric Staal.

Hahahahahahaha

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Another expansion draft is coming soon. Seattle’s building should be ready for 2020-21. They might get their team later this year. The NHL CBA expires after 21-22. Both sides have an opt out after 19-20. They have to give notice by September 2019 which isn’t that far away. Elliotte Friedman attended an NHLPA agents meeting in Toronto a few weeks ago. An agent told him they don’t believe the owners will exercise their opt out. Both sides will have to figure out a new CBA in the near future. The NHL doesn’t want to have a work stoppage at the same time Seattle has paid $650M for a team. The NHLPA will have 100 SPC’s,60 NHL players and a good number of AHL players with the two expansion teams.

Daly said the same expansion draft rules for Seattle. 7 forwards,3 D and 1 goaltender or 8 skaters and 1 goaltender. First and second year professionals are exempt. NMC players have to be protected. The Rangers don’t have many contracts in 20-21. Zibanejad. Lundqvist. Staal. Shattenkirk. Smith. Lundqvist and Staal have a NMC. Will Staal be on the team or will he be bought out by then?

Their young players would be exempt if the draft is held in June 2020.

Chytil,Andersson,Howden,Hajek, Lindgren,etc will be exempt. They would be two year pros.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why we didn't sign Eric Staal is fairly obvious, and has nothing to do with his performance right now. (He has been exceptional)

For every Eric Staal renaissance past age 31, there are a dozen Brad Richards' and Scott Gomezs who are just never the same again. The Rangers made the right move from the standpoint of probability.

I would like to say that it’s absolutely impossible to say that Eric Staal has not been horrible in the POs for Minny.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Chytil,Andersson,Howden,Hajek, Lindgren,etc will be exempt. They would be two year pros.

Casey Mittelstadt isn't exempt for the expansion draft though hahahaha. I still don't understand why Buffalo decided to handle that situation this way

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I figured they probably wouldn't, but in a weird way, it makes sense for them.

Shaw is worth 2M at most, and is getting paid double his worth until 2022.

They have 2 of the WORST contracts in the NHL with Price and Weber taking up 1/4 of their cap. They really can't afford to pay double what Shaw is worth, especially if they want another big contract with Tavares.

They need to get rid of Shaw while he is still a useful player

after crunching the numbers, that scenario I laid out leaves us with ~4M with no cap increase and before signing Kovalchuk.

Gotta think the cap will go up, but we can trade spooner and/or namestnikov and sign a cheaper FA or something to make the money work.

If we get lucky and land a top 3 pick, maybe they're fighting for a spot that makes another contract expendable.

Lots of options, lots of ways this can go
I’m ready for a deal!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wait really? I have never heard of that particular rule
They had to do that to close the most obvious cap circumvention loophole.

Edit: this is regarding trading someone to a team, and then having that same trade trade the same player back with retention

Last edited:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I feel like the whole Evander Kane scenario is us complaining about how the women we take home from the bar tend to be more trouble than their worth, and then going up to the girl with the "crazy" look in her eyes.

Yes, that first night might be pretty fun. And then the sun comes up...
I've dated girls that essentially just mastered being sexy at the right times. Something to be said about knowing how to shake and coupling that was impeccable timing. I remember my senior year of undergrad my mom was in town for some work and she came out to dinner with me and my at-the-time fling; when the at-the-time went to the bathroom my mom legitimately said [in a laughing manner] "I know you're just having fun with this one"

Just like Evander Kane - others are envious of what they see on the surface, but crazy knows no bounds

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Chytil is a world class talent but it's a raw talent. I'd like him, to take simple assignments and build confidence while mistakes are covered. The RW next to Kreider and Zibanejad is just about the easiest place in the league to be. Let him start there while he hones the pro game. If it goes well, he centers next year.

Andersson is very much the opposite. Already polished player who just needs time to grow into himself. I think we should develop him similar to Horvat or Couturier. Let him center a lower line and teach him defense first. I'm not saying give him the hardest assignments, but let him rack up D-zone starts and give him a sense of responsibility and importance. Don't force him to go 200 feet until his skating improves. No expectations on his production.

Love both ideas. I’ve pushed the idea of Chytil with Kreider/Zibanejad and Andersson with Hayes/Spooner.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Another expansion draft is coming soon. Seattle’s building should be ready for 2020-21. They might get their team later this year. The NHL CBA expires after 21-22. Both sides have an opt out after 19-20. They have to give notice by September 2019 which isn’t that far away. Elliotte Friedman attended an NHLPA agents meeting in Toronto a few weeks ago. An agent told him they don’t believe the owners will exercise their opt out. Both sides will have to figure out a new CBA in the near future. The NHL doesn’t want to have a work stoppage at the same time Seattle has paid $650M for a team. The NHLPA will have 100 SPC’s,60 NHL players and a good number of AHL players with the two expansion teams.

Daly said the same expansion draft rules for Seattle. 7 forwards,3 D and 1 goaltender or 8 skaters and 1 goaltender. First and second year professionals are exempt. NMC players have to be protected. The Rangers don’t have many contracts in 20-21. Zibanejad. Lundqvist. Staal. Shattenkirk. Smith. Lundqvist and Staal have a NMC. Will Staal be on the team or will he be bought out by then?

What are the chances that the owners can negotiate to get 1 relief buyout per team? Would think that the major market teams would be pushing for that.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Kreider Zib Kovalchuk
JVR Chytil Zucc
Hayes Andersson Buch
Roussell Komarov Fast

That is a good playoff caliber forward group

Chytil still develops at Center but has great linemates that make production easy for any Center.

Andersson has Hayes as security and they can change between LW and Center as necessary. Also great for faceoffs because they have two guys that can take faceoffs when one gets kicked out - allows them to try and cheat more. Also those two big bodies, along with Hayes and Andersson both developing solid 2-way games, allows Buch to just play his game and be the wing facilitator. Hayes developing a better shot this past year helps too.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Best guess they trade MZA, and one of Spooner/Namestnikov and sign Kovalchuk. Maybe they move Vesey.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Fast
Kovalchuk-Chytil-Buchnevich
Spooner-Hayes-Andersson/Vesey
Andersson/Lettieri/Carey/Nieves/UFA vet

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He helped drag a **** team to the playoffs where they're getting beat up by a vastly better team.

I mean I don't know what else the guy can do.

Watch his play for Minny in the POs. He is struggling tremendously — and I am not exactly the only one commenting on that.

To what extent can a top center play the ‘my teammates suck’-card? 42% CF is horrible when trailing as much as they do. I don’t care if they put ECHLers on the ice with 5% CF when he isn’t on the ice. He plays with fairly good players but they are horrible, and he is the biggest reason for it when he is on the ice. Another big reason is Mikko Koivu who also is struggling a lot with the speed. Another slow center. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I’d be my right arm that nobody could watch any 5 random shifts by Eric Staal in the POs and then pass a lie detector test claiming that they would love to have him as a top 2 center on a team in the POs. I am sure I exaggerated a bit here and there, but take my word for it he is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad