Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Tankers love the idea to move Zucc early next window or the draft, because they don`t care to end in the bottom of the table end of next season for a future pick. And I believe it`s the right thing to do and build a new team in the early draft. But if u are a tanker why not move value players in Zib as well with his concussion history at a very early age - it`s just a risk to have him here with his injury history.

Reactions: Off Sides

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/rangers-owner-reveals-what-he-wants-in-the-next-coach/

Brooks speaks with Dolan - a lot of nuggets in there.

Says they didn’t have good leadership last season, which reads to me as the big impact of losing Stepan.

Says the C put too much pressure on McD, and took him out of his comfort zone.

Says AVs post philly rant confirmed for them that he isn’t a guy that can “build a team”, only someone who can get the best out of a prebuilt unit.

Says they can “sneak into the 7th or 8th seed” next year while going through the retool...I’m sure Hank loves hearing that.

Says the FO has ID’d “leaders that may become available” and will target them this summer.
Interesting to see Dolan confirms it's important for the next coach to utilize analytics in their decision making

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
And the bit about getting that one great player, and them having identified some who might be available - intriguing and exciting.

Gorton is going to be very busy leading up to and on draft day. Don’t tell he doesn’t see Zuccarello as a trade chip to get what Dolan is describing there.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
The quotes sound good... if they come to fruition, even better. I'm excited, but still not changing my expectations of the re-build yet.
One thing I will say about Dolan, for better or worse he gives a crap about winning, his biggest problem is he builds these inner circles of trust and lets them run it into the ground (just look at the Knicks) but dollar for dollar he will spend like no other, a lot of other fans of other teams cannot say that.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Tankers love the idea to move Zucc early next window or the draft, because they don`t care to end in the bottom of the table end of next season for a future pick. And I believe it`s the right thing to do and build a new team in the early draft. But if u are a tanker why not move value players in Zib as well with his concussion history at a very early age - it`s just a risk to have him here with his injury history.
I think Zib is part of the future as opposed to a transition piece.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I feel like I may be in this group u refer to as “tankers”

I’ll say from side I want to suck next year as well UNLESS we can get “elite” talent in this draft.

If we pick 11 and have to wait 5 years for him to pan out so we know what we have, what’s the rush? Gorts wants to do it the right way. I’m glad he does. Shortcuts DO NOT WORK

Reactions: Ori

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The Kings have 11 players left from their Cup winning team 4 years ago. They need to break up that team. Doughty will get a huge long term contract offer to stay in LA this summer. They already have $72M committed for next season. LA scored three goals in a sweep to an expansion team.

The Ducks have so much money tied up in three aging forwards. Getzlaf,Perry and Kesler. Anaheim is basically stuck with the same team which loses every year. They can't break up the team and lose with different players.

The Caps are the same thing. Carlson is going to get a massive contract this summer. The Caps are screwed both ways. Pay him or lose him. He will get 7 years as a free agent. Crazy money. The Caps can't replace him. They gave a 31 year old TJ Oshie 8 years. Good luck to them.

Gorton made the right decision to begin the process of rebuilding. Avoid those long term contracts to players in their late twenties to mid thirties. Break it down and start fresh.
Oshie will be an amnesty buyout after the next lockout.

Reactions: TheTakedown

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
To me, the best landing place for Zucc may be Florida. Barring an act of God, they will pick around 15th and that’s a fair target. Perhaps the Rangers sweeten the pot a little by swapping one of their late firsts for Florida’s early second. That will allow them to stay in the first round. Florida needs to add secondary scoring to replace some of the guys they gave to Vegas last year.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
All of those quotes sounds like exactly what most of us thought about AV during his tenure here..

Out of touch with his players, calling out individuals too much

Not delegating responsibilities to the rest of the staff. His way or the highway. His shitty defensive scheme or nothing. Sounds like Ruff was not deferred to at all with ideas on how to fix what was and has been a broken defense for years. It was just exploited even more with rookies playing. Different defense coach, same results

A coach who couldnt make adjustments. Too stubborn. A guy who cant develop young talent and needs the foundation put in place before he takes over.

Good find an intelligent human being to be the coach, it would be w breath of fresh air.

Also not sure who that important player is out there that he is referring to...screams Tavares...

And lastly I like the part about competing. Do not tank. Do not be a weasel organization like Pittsburgh was. Have some pride and do it legitimately. Do not taint future success.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I have a firm belief Zucc will be moved at the draft, just not sure to what team.
One of the Canes, Oilers, Panthers, or Stars. Maybe Kings
Canes offense and they want to start winning soon they said.
Oilers need depth badly. I think their 1st is too high and they probably won’t move it for Zucc but Chiarelli is Chiarelli so who knows
Panthers were looking into Patches at the deadline but apparently the price was too high. They need scoring depth but may prefer to just draft a dman/trade their 1st for one
Stars need offensive depth to make the next step
Kings need depth scoring badly, they won’t rebuild next year although they may prefer to keep their 1st/prospects. I don’t think any team with guys like Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Quick will try and rebuild. Maybe retool to get younger which is why it’s a maybe
I’d be happy with a mid 1st for Zucc but we can certainly get more
My guess is he ends up in Dallas

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
To me, the best landing place for Zucc may be Florida. Barring an act of God, they will pick around 15th and that’s a fair target. Perhaps the Rangers sweeten the pot a little by swapping one of their late firsts for Florida’s early second. That will allow them to stay in the first round. Florida needs to add secondary scoring to replace some of the guys they gave to Vegas last year.

Is there any legitimate speculation or signaling from the organization that MZA might get traded, or are we just trying to draw logical conclusions here? I think MZA needs to stay. He's a fan favorite for one, but he's also a veteran leader, well liked by everyone, and also still the team's top scorer. I understand the desire to sell high but is a mid first round pick really selling high? I'm not that sure.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, it`s a risk that Henrik will have another season in the bottom half of the table when you remove a 53-60 pts. player for a future. Zucc is a professional player, but I doubt he will sign another discount contract for a franchise when he is UFA.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Henrik said it first and then Gorton reiterated it and now Dolan chimes in and pretty much I'm hearing the same message. 1) The Rangers are going to be younger 2) they're new coaching staff will be a younger one too--not an established NHL coach but a guy who's had success and knows how to work with younger players--it was almost like he was talking about Keefe 3) that they're going to try to bring in some big name--a leader (Kovalchuk? Tavares? Karlsson?) and maybe a couple other vets because 4) they intend to compete for a playoff spot next year.

So it's not going to be just a bunch of kids---it's going to be a much different team than what we saw after the deadline--they intend to be much better than that. They don't intend to be a bottom feeder.

So the Rangers have pretty good goaltending. Henrik's not quite the goalie he was 10 years ago but he's still very, very good. Georgiev looks legit too.

Our defense is a mess--though we have a lot of good young players and prospects--many more than we had before the deadline and some---maybe not all should turn into good NHL players. There's no one really elite though. No one that I would call a legit 1st pairing NHL player. Shatty and Skjei are really second pairing guys. Hajek and Pionk and maybe even Lindgren, Rykov or DeAngelo---2nd pairing is their upside. The Rangers can cobble together an acceptable D next year I think but to become a contender they are going to need to find a legit No. 1D and hopefully a partner for him that's almost as good. Of what we have now that partner to the legit #1D could possibly be Skjei or maybe even Hajek. They have the most upside.

There is no one elite in our forward group either. Maybe Chytil can become a legit 1st liner--maybe Zibanejad or Kreider could take another step. Maybe Buch will come back a little bigger and stronger and more determined. It's possible that any one of them could hit 60 points next year--which is pretty much a lower end 1st liner for a playoff team. We've had deeper depth at forward which has helped mitigate the lack of legit 1st line production but there's lots of room for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad