Status
Not open for further replies.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
A reporter putting "upset" in quotes can mean an entire spectrum of things.

No... no it can't.

A reporter putting things in quotes means that they are quoting someone. So Staal used the word "upset" to describe his feelings about being scratched.

Words and punctuation have meaning.

You and me using "upset" in quotes has an entirely different meaning than a reporter putting it in quotes.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What does this have to do with anything? Is he somehow less bad because he sustained extremely unfortunate injuries? Does he deserve less criticism for his severe deficiencies? I sympathize with the fact that he's dealing with life altering injuries but it doesn't change how his effectiveness should be viewed.

I mean, attacking Staal's character and humanity is one thing and I probably don't get to see them; but things that are directly related to his on ice play are fair game. He's an athlete, it's part of that life.

I don't disagree. It was no different for Girardi, Drury, etc.

Staal is in a whole different league when it comes to attacking him as a person and the fact that it is being taken it to a whole different level is what I have an issue with. I don't really think it is debatable that Marc Staal is no longer an NHL player and even though I think it is a foolish exercise, people are welcome beat that drum all day as long as it is relevant to the topic.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
No... no it can't.

A reporter putting things in quotes means that they are quoting someone. So Staal used the word "upset" to describe his feelings about being scratched.

You and me using "upset" in quotes has an entirely different meaning than a reporter putting it in quotes.

I would like the entire interview laid out to understand how he responded with "upset". I'd also like to understand the tone in which it was said and his body language. There is more to communication than just placing a word used in a question and answer session. I think that's what he means

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
No... no it can't.

he may have used the word 'upset' but with no further context that can mean different things...is he upset with himself for not playing better? is he upset with david quinn for not showing him the respect he feels he has earned? or does it just mean that he's giving a generic sports answer?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No... no it can't.

That's not really true, though; not in the age of Twitter. No one is following a style guide on Twitter. It should mean it's a direct quote, but it can just as easily be used to emphasize a word in a full quotation or something else completely. I see it all the time. That's why so often reporters have to provide clarification to previous tweets when using the platform.

Also, without any other information on what preceded or followed the comment, it's majorly lacking in context. Which, again...Twitter.

Reactions: MikaIsGod

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Its funny, I don’t remember Staal signing himself to that contract and also writing the checks.

While I agree Staal should be scratched and continue to be scratched, the nasty and distasteful disrespect of a longtime homegrown Ranger is out of control. Makes me think some of you just became Rangers fans 5 years ago. Because if you had been watching this team for even just the past 25 years, you would have a strong loyalty and appreciation for what Staal meant to this organization from the first game he played.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
staal saying he was upset is the biggest nothing quote. of course he was upset...is he supposed to say he is happy to not play? that doesn't mean he doesn't understand why it was done

i mean yeah he should be upset if he was fine with it it’d be super weird. He’s a pro

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Staal was a rock before the eye injury, unfortunately hasn't been good since. I'd love if they would offer him an office job and he retired but he is under contract and probably still feels he can play so its tough

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Jesus some of y'all really don't understand the word upset lol

A reporter asks him were you upset or down or whatever about being benched and he says yeah it sucks because it does, that is just a general human thing. What did you want him to say "Nah I don't care, thanks for all the money" and laugh?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Staal has been a great NYR contributor throughout much of his career. No doubt. Injuries and Father Time have relegated him to the press box now. Which is tough for everyone, especially him. The last few years have as we all know not been pretty. He tries admirely, but it is just not there. His contract was one year too long. It will bite us a bit coming up. But that is the process (Lundqvists contract will likely do the same), such is life in a salary cap world.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Honestly I think Staal was good before the injury, but he never really surpassed Mediocre status after it, and yet we gave him a contract like he was the old Marc Staal again, which he never was.

Even though he had ostensibly recovered by the end of 2014-2015, he really wasn't playing at the kind of level to justify that extension. We had just traded for Keith Yandle, and had Yandle and McDonagh already on the left hand side.

Hindsight is 20-20 but what a bad decision.

Deleted member 23124

Staal was a rock before the eye injury, unfortunately hasn't been good since. I'd love if they would offer him an office job and he retired but he is under contract and probably still feels he can play so its tough
The concussion from his brother doesn't help matters either.

Reactions: leetch99

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I don't disagree. It was no different for Girardi, Drury, etc.

Staal is in a whole different league when it comes to attacking him as a person and the fact that it is being taken it to a whole different level is what I have an issue with. I don't really think it is debatable that Marc Staal is no longer an NHL player and even though I think it is a foolish exercise, people are welcome beat that drum all day as long as it is relevant to the topic.
Honestly glad those posts don't actually get to Staal in some way because it's pretty messed up.

Is he a NHL dman anymore? No.

Should he get blasted for that? No.

Is he the one being put in the starting lineup time after time? No.

I wish people would stop pointing at Staal and saying "lawlzzz Stall suxxxxs" and actually have a discussion of somewhat value without attacking the player or even saying hyperbolic phrases like dumpster fire.

What is so hard with saying he is no longer a NHL Dman and should not be playing? And that the coaching staff and the organization should be held accountable.

So how easy that was? No hyperbole and no attacking words. Just honest blunt words.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Having Girardi come back the other night was a good reminder of how hard the salary cap is on aging players. Girardi and Staal and Lundqvist were warriors for this team. All of them sacrificed their bodies and put everything on the line for the team for a long time. And it's beyond a shame that the Salary Cap has essentially made it impossible for these guys to finish their careers with the level of respect they deserve from the fans.

In any case, it's a miracle that Marc Staal ever came back from that eye injury.

All that being said, he no longer can handle the puck when it's in his feet anymore. He's recognition and/or his body has slowed to the point where he can make 10 great plays in a game but it'll be offset by 5 things he fumbled/handled poorly or missed.

He's for sure a 6-7 d-man at this point of his career. He needs to be sheltered. And it just sucks. He totally deserves to go out better than this. If he were emotionally ready for it, he could announce he was going to retire after this season is over. Then, everyone will treat him like a hero all year long. One going away party after another.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
David Quinn’s painful Rangers decisions are far from over
The more points Tony DeAngelo and Ryan Strome put on the board, the more likely the two pending restricted free agents with salary arbitration rights will price themselves out of New York next season.
The Rangers, no different from approximately two-thirds of the teams in the NHL, are going to be up against it next season, especially if the salary cap increase is limited to the same 2.5 percent it was last summer.

DeAngelo, who maintains only a casual acquaintance with the defensive zone while being a dynamic attacker, has recorded eight points (4-4) in 10 games. If the 24-year-old finished with a 60-point season, which should be well within reach if No. 77 maintains his spot on the first power-play unit, he is likely looking at a two-year deal in the range of $4 million to $4.5 million per, given available comparables at capfriendly.com. Would the Rangers pay that?

Have Gorton done it again?

King of Bridge-Deals!

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I love that Vancouver fans are talking about Alex Edler like he is a Norris Candidate this season.

These guys are the worst ever when playing on a bad team and the best in the league when they play for a good team.

Winnipeg fans hated Myers and his metrics was horrible. Now Myers and Edler has tremendous metrics this year and they are the best pairing in Hockey because their metrics are “amazing”? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad