Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If I told anyone here in 2018 that we’d have a 24 year old right shot dman that can put up 50 plus points everyone would be screaming to lock him up and consider him a franchise core piece for the next 7 or 8 years.

now all of a sudden it’s let’s trade him we’ve got a 19 year old Swede coming in 2 or 3 years might be good. It’s insanity

Agreed. Its insane

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don’t think trading one of them would be specifically to appease Lundqvist rather then the Rangers identifying their guy for the future and trading the other while they’re around the age where goalies actually get good value in a trade

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don’t think trading one of them would be specifically to appease Lundqvist rather then the Rangers identifying their guy for the future and trading the other while they’re around the age where goalies actually get good value in a trade

I dont think you can make that assertion based on Igor's AHL numbers.

Meaning hes got to have at the minimum the same number of games played in the NHL as Georgie

I'm not trading him unless I get a hella offer.

The emotional BS attached to Hank has to go. Trading him doesn't tarnish anything hes accomplished here.

It just signifies it's time to move on.

We cannot allow the player to make that determination as it's always a year or two too late.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I dont think you can make that assertion based on Igor's AHL numbers.

Meaning hes got to have at the minimum the same number of games played in the NHL as Georgie

I'm not trading him unless I get a hella offer.

The emotional BS attached to Hank has to go. Trading him doesn't tarnish anything hes accomplished here.

It just signifies it's time to move on.

We cannot allow the player to make that determination as it's always a year or two too late.
Well, all of that is a nice idea and all, but he’s got a NMC, so it’s really up to him

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Another thought.

If Strome would accept a 4 year, $16 million dollar extension this summer. I'd lock him in. He isn't the best at one thing but does many things well. He's playing all situations and is a PPG player thus far. You could do worse for $4 million a year for a right handed 45-50 point player that can play in all situations.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Still standing by my theory that we could see a Ray Bourque situation with Hank. He waives for a contending team in need of more reliable goaltending and the Rangers eat half his contract to facilitate the favor. Sharks seem to make the most sense for all parties if they're intent on trying to right the ship this season.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Still standing by my theory that we could see a Ray Bourque situation with Hank. He waives for a contending team in need of more reliable goaltending and the Rangers eat half his contract to facilitate the favor. Sharks seem to make the most sense for all parties if they're intent on trying to right the ship this season.

He would have to want to move and I dont see that. If it were done right Georgiev would get 70 percent of the starts from here til deadline and then ask him again. It would be awful to trade Georgiev for one year of Hank

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He would have to want to move and I dont see that. If it were done right Georgiev would get 70 percent of the starts from here til deadline and then ask him again. It would be awful to trade Georgiev for one year of Hank

He said he wanted to ride out the rebuild, but a lot can change. To that point, a lot has changed already. Hank is playing well despite his stat line, but he's not the guy he used to be. Hank must now that he's likely not going to play into his 40's, so it comes down to whether or not he wants to take a shot at a cup or not. He's not going to get that here no matter what happens. Not as a player anyway.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Georgiev and Shestyorkin don't have enough value to be main pieces of a trade and they still need to see how Igor handles the NHL. Love his attitude from that interview. Meeting him back at The Draft party in June although he doesn't speak much English (at least not publicly) he seems like a pretty easy going thoughtful guy so how he's handling this situation now is very mature.

He will get his chance this year at some point.

Honestly ride with the Georgiev/Shestyorkin tandem for the next 3-4 years. Contractually it makes sense to use the money elsewhere. If anything, the only way I'd even think about pulling the trigger is if they can get a first from Seattle or some team who pulls a Minnesota/Florida and overthinks the expansion draft process.

And who knows how Huska progresses. He's holding his own in Hartford.

Basically look every player gets a reduced role at some point and it's time for Lundqvist to realize that. If he really wants to keep playing 50+ games a year, maybe he does go to Seattle as a UFA and they use him as an attraction to sell tickets and build up a fanbase.

Reactions: Cag29

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The thought of trading Georgiev is unappealing to me. On the other hand it’s hard for me to imagine them trading Henrik.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
this is the one that’s a real problem. You can’t trade Georgiev to accommodate a 38 year old goalie playing poorly with 1 year to go. Just would be really bad player management. Shesterkin is going to be on this team next season. But moving Georgiev who’s establishing himself as a really good goalie would be so stupid. Hanks gotta call it a career. Otherwise you’re going to see Shesterkin back in Russia next season and we burn a year. Would be a really bad look. I just don’t know what we do here.
Hank needs to waive for a trade or retire.
He’s been great but it’s The NYRangers
Not the NYLundquists

Cag29

Jul 18, 2018
I think k2 will erupt in the 2nd half of the year. He is still figuring it out and is pretty close - but has the skillset to be OMFG sooner than later
Plus you can see it in little bursts ie the Breakaway at the end of his shift and his poise on the PP. I really feel he will be special. Remember he’s only 18. That’s unreal. When he’s 20-21 it’s going to be holy crap.

Cag29

Jul 18, 2018
The thought of trading Georgiev is unappealing to me. On the other hand it’s hard for me to imagine them trading Henrik.
Giacomin was traded. We will get over it.
Hanks 30 will be retired. He’s awesome. A HOF er. But if he really wants to help us waive for San Jose go play with your buddy Karlsson.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If I told anyone here in 2018 that we’d have a 24 year old right shot dman that can put up 50 plus points everyone would be screaming to lock him up and consider him a franchise core piece for the next 7 or 8 years.

now all of a sudden it’s let’s trade him we’ve got a 19 year old Swede coming in 2 or 3 years might be good. It’s insanity

Couldn’t agree more!

Reminds me a lot of the Zucc situation to be honest. We didn’t realize what we had and nearly lost him for nothing after the KHL debacle. Stralman was another one.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Giacomin was traded. We will get over it.
Hanks 30 will be retired. He’s awesome. A HOF er. But if he really wants to help us waive for San Jose go play with your buddy Karlsson.

I get what you mean, but really, it’s very wishful thinking to think that there is a market for Hank. There probably hasn’t been for years. If he was a UFA and would sign for 1.5m sure, he would get a contract.

What it boils down to now is that if we retain 50% and take back a 5m contract, maybe there are ONE organization that would trade for him, but even that is very unlikely.

Teams aren’t taking on bad contracts. Toronto gave up a 1st to trade Marleau. We are in all likelyhood looking at the same with Hank.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The few Hank trades I could envision

1) Lundqvist to Columbus for Dubinsky/Savard
2) Lundqvist (Retained) to TML for Andersen (Buyout candidate)
3) Lundqvist to the Red Wings for anything in particular

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Another thought.

If Strome would accept a 4 year, $16 million dollar extension this summer. I'd lock him in. He isn't the best at one thing but does many things well. He's playing all situations and is a PPG player thus far. You could do worse for $4 million a year for a right handed 45-50 point player that can play in all situations.
I will be very surprised if Strome can keep up at anything close to his current clip for very long. If he does, it is probably because of his wingers and despite any real ability to do so otherwise. If it was a mistake to extend Namestnikov at 4 million, it certainly is as well for Strome. Move the rights for best futures available and call it a win, unless he somehow is ok with playing for a cap-friendly deal next year. I can't see him finding another gear at this stage, and he shouldn't be paid for his linemates' success.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
While I do agree that a few people in particular have been flat out disrespectful, I don't know that it is necessarily wrong to hope for that outcome. Retiring sooner than later would allow Staal to retain some dignity in my opinion. It isn't like he would be the first guy ever to get a few games into the season and realize "I really don't have it anymore" and proceed to retire.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Marc Staal. Given everything he has gone through in his career and still managed to keep coming back, it is beyond impressive. But at this point in his career, not only is he not making a positive impact on the ice, he is making a massively negative impact on the ice.

Completely agree on all points.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree- and I think the likely outcome is a trade for one of the three goaltenders. The only question is which one.

Even though it’s the most cold hearted Lundqvist should be the answer even if the Rangers “lose” the trade. Eat his salary, low picks back etc - as an organization the Rangers have to find the best situation for the King, anything short of giving up our prospects in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad