Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I'm gonna need @BBKers to explan the Lias call up to me. Mcquaid is going on waivers and Howden isn't playing tomorrow, but eitherway how will there be enough ice time to go around without a trade?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Elliotte Friedman said he thinks there are teams trying to acquire Hayes right now. 31 Thoughts podcast.

Which teams?

The Avs? Zibanejad is perfect for them. Fills their need at center behind MacKinnon. Hayes? Sakic is trading his first for Hayes? He is a little conservative for that.

Winnipeg? Cheveldayoff moves like a glacier. He traded a 1st to rent Stastny last year. Does he trade another 1st for another rental?

Bruins? That is a one line team and Sweeney needs to do something. Sweeney regretted trading the first to the Rangers in the Nash deal.

Sharks?

They don’t own their next two 1st rounders thanks to the Kane and Karlsson trades.

2021 1st for Hayes.

Dallas? They need help at center. Hayes is an upgrade over Spezza who has played well for the Stars so far. Nill is not a big rental guy.

Carolina? They are saving their assets for Nylander.

A playoff team looking at renting Hayes.

The sooner this happens the better.

The Avs and Bruins make a ton of sense. Both have a need for the player, a full compliment of draft picks and several excellent prospects.

Been reading up on the Jets and I don't think Chevaldayoff is in any rush to make a trade and even less inclined to include a first draft pick. Just don't see that happening unless they are willing to swap multiple prospects. Mason Appleton, a RW, looks like an interesting prospect.

The Sharks are interesting. Would likely have to be a hockey trade. One player who intrigues me is Jeremy Roy, a 21 year old RHD who missed a lot of time over the past two years with a knee injury. He seems to be doing quite well in the AHL right now. A 2021 first draft pick will not be the primary piece if this deal goes down.

What about a hockey trade with Columbus, they could use another center.

Gorton needs to win this trade. This is his best option to really move the rebuild forward this season. The fact that there is competition is a good thing. Friedman is helping the cause along. Thanks Elliotte.

And remember what I told you about Thanksgiving.

Reactions: kovazub94

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Waiving McQuaid would be a hard fail. At the were least they have to get a 4th back. The only possible reason for that trade was to gain a better pick during the season.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Anderson getting called up probably has more to do with the team coming down to 10 capable forwards every game.

You need 12. The Rangers aren't dressing 12 of their best. With Anderson, you are getting closer to 12.

Not saying you are gunning for it this year, but if you look at how the defense is pairing up... eventually you will see a more even distribution of talent among the forwards.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

The Avs and Bruins make a ton of sense. Both have a need for the player, a full compliment of draft picks and several excellent prospects.

Been reading up on the Jets and I don't think Chevaldayoff is in any rush to make a trade and even less inclined to include a first draft pick. Just don't see that happening unless they are willing to swap multiple prospects. Mason Appleton, a RW, looks like an interesting prospect.

The Sharks are interesting. Would likely have to be a hockey trade. One player who intrigues me is Jeremy Roy, a 21 year old RHD who missed a lot of time over the past two years with a knee injury. He seems to be doing quite well in the AHL right now. A 2021 first draft pick will not be the primary piece if this deal goes down.

Gorton needs to win this trade. This is his best option to really move the rebuild forward this season. The fact that there is competition is a good thing. Friedman is helping the cause along. Thanks Elliotte.

I'm big fan of Roy... always injured however.... he's missed large chunks in juniors too.

Plays a hardnosed game, positionally sound. I'm not sure if Roy's body is going to hold up to that type of game. If it's the Sharks, I'd go for Dylan Gambrell. Straight up even.

IMO that's a very good prospect, one that was drafted late, but played very well. Saw him during the NCAA championship run. He's at worst, Bryan Rust as a center.

Low center of gravity, good playmaker, but very reliable 3-Zone player. Not sure if the wheels translate to decent offensive output, but he's a good prospect.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm big fan of Roy... always injured however.... he's missed large chunks in juniors too.

Plays a hardnosed game, positionally sound. I'm not sure if Roy's body is going to hold up to that type of game. If it's the Sharks, I'd go for Dylan Gambrell. Straight up even.

IMO that's a very good prospect, one that was drafted late, but played very well. Saw him during the NCAA championship run. He's at worst, Bryan Rust as a center.

Low center of gravity, good playmaker, but very reliable 3-Zone player. Not sure if the wheels translate to decent offensive output, but he's a good prospect.
One of Montgomery’s boys that torched it at U Denver. He strikes me as a similar player to Howden, maybe with less of a two-way game and better playmaking skills. He’s had a really solid start in the AHL.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I’d like the local Staten Island kid Leblanc from the Sharks.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
What did you tell him about Thanksgiving?
:popcorn:

It's a magic mark in Hockey. Usually a max of 2 teams out of the playoffs on this date, make the playoffs. It's also when the trade season opens among GMs when they evaluate their rosters for their gaps and goals.

However, this year it started at game 10 or so for some teams. Several teams already had must win games. Keep an eye on STL. Coaching change will be their first move if their homestand goes south.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Give me Greer and Colorado's 1st for Hayes and I'll be stoked.
Really, why Greer? I know he has the Quinn connection from BU, but I'm still not a fan of his committing and then the subpar Q performance. The connections are definitely there, but I'd really hope for a better piece back for Hayes. I'd even opt for a lesser pick to get a better player back.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Lettieri is probably going down.

Disappointed in his inability to translate more offense at the NHL level.

Wasn’t expecting anything amazing, but was hoping he could be a guy to find a role on the fourth.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Really, why Greer? I know he has the Quinn connection from BU, but I'm still not a fan of his committing and then the subpar Q performance. The connections are definitely there, but I'd really hope for a better piece back for Hayes. I'd even opt for a lesser pick to get a better player back.

I think he's a little like Howden. Not in terms of his skill set, but how he's sort of flying under the radar as a projectable prospect. I think he projects favorably as a 3rd line forward who can chip in 15 goals and 35 points while bringing a physical presence. If he can take another step forward, I think he could be a very good complimentary player on a scoring line. Sort of a Troy Brouwer type. He's not a "sexy" prospect, but you generally don't get those kind of players for rentals. The draft pick is the part that could turn into the impact asset.

As far as him leaving BU for the Q? It happens. Bellows did the same thing when he didn't like the fit at BC. JT Miller backed out of his NoDak commitment after the Rangers wanted him to go to Plymouth. Sometimes kids just don't find they're comfortable or happy and decide to exercise another option.

If you can get a guy who has a good chance of being an NHLer along with a lottery ticket in a 1st rounder then I think it's a win. I don't think the scouting report on Hayes is as favorable as a lot of this board is hoping. I'll be surprised if he gets more than a 1st and a B prospect unless he comes with an extension.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm gonna need @BBKers to explan the Lias call up to me. Mcquaid is going on waivers and Howden isn't playing tomorrow, but eitherway how will there be enough ice time to go around without a trade?

This would work for me:

Zib 18
Kreider 17
Zucc 17
Hayes 16
Buch 16
Fast 15
Howden 15
Chytil 14
Namestnikov 14
Andersson 14
Vesey 12