Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
That minor trade I mentioned is still up in the air. But since “we’re still in it” I guess we will wait until we lose a couple bad ones. But we played a fun game today. HHOFer beat out the prized Price badly. Oh and MS18 looked potent. Toronto needs some stability. Let’s hope some idiot there sees it that way too

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I remember when Nash was rumored to be going to LA a couple deadline's ago I wanted Zykov. I recall being surprised he was basically given away by the Kings, considering he was one of their better forward prospects at the time

I'd do a straight prospect swap for him, but I don't know if we have anyone that fits the bill Carolina would want.

Aside from that, any team looking at Hayes must have been happy with his performance last night. I still get the feeling he'll be gone sooner than later. Which is unfortunate but whatever

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers should re-sign Hayes. Give him 7 years and $6M.

Re-sign Zuccarello too. 8 years and $24M. Front load the contract so he gets $20M in the first 5 years.

Re-sign Kreider this July 1. Same contract as Hayes.

The Rangers don’t need Chytil and Andersson. Gorton can use them as chips. Trade one of them and the Rangers 1st in June to rent Panarin. The Rangers sign Panarin to an 8 year extension. He will be on active roster at the trading deadline so he can get 8 years. $85M.

Trade whichever player is left from Andersson and Chytil for immediate help.

The Rangers will have Zibanejad, Hayes and Howden in the middle.

The cap is supposed to go up to $84M-$85M this summer if the players go with the full 5%.

Quinn keeps comparing Lundqvist to Brady. Hank has another good 6 more years left.

Trade Shestyorkin. The Rangers don’t need him with Lundqvist playing until he is 45. They also have that great 2nd round pick goalie from Sweden. They don’t need Igor.

Forget about the rebuilding.

Quinn says the Rangers are building and growing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I remember when Nash was rumored to be going to LA a couple deadline's ago I wanted Zykov. I recall being surprised he was basically given away by the Kings, considering he was one of their better forward prospects at the time

I'd do a straight prospect swap for him, but I don't know if we have anyone that fits the bill Carolina would want.

Aside from that, any team looking at Hayes must have been happy with his performance last night. I still get the feeling he'll be gone sooner than later. Which is unfortunate but whatever

Zucc for Zykov and Fox.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

Re-sign Zuccarello too. 8 years and $24M. Front load the contract so he gets $20M in the first 5 years.

The Rangers don’t need Chytil and Andersson. Gorton can use them as chips. Trade one of them and the Rangers 1st in June to rent Panarin. The Rangers sign Panarin to an 8 year extension. He will be on active roster at the trading deadline so he can get 8 years. $85M.

The cap is supposed to go up to $84M-$85M this summer if the players go with the full 5%.

Quinn keeps comparing Lundqvist to Brady. Hank has another good 6 more years left.

Trade Shestyorkin. The Rangers don’t need him with Lundqvist playing until he is 45. They also have that great 2nd round pick goalie from Sweden. They don’t need Igor.

In regards to us playing better,

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

:eyeroll:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Imagine getting that bent out of shape about a 4-game winning streak in the beginning of November. Sheesh.

Reactions: RGY

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Not to mention 2 of the were shootout wins and one was against a team on the second night of a back to back
They’re still slotted for the 7th spot in the lottery and haven’t even hit the most difficult parts of their schedule. Zucc is easily a goner at the deadline, and Hayes probably is too if Gorton can get some team to pay out the nose.

Newflash: if the kids sucked ass this year, that means this rebuild was probably dead in the water from the beginning. Having Howden, Chytil, Buch, Mika, ADA, Pionk, Kravtsov, K’Andre, Shesty, etc. all doing really well this year is a great sign for them moving forward.

They still don’t have the talent to sustain this winning over the course of the season and will end up being a lottery team. However, seeing them buy in and work their asses off under Quinn is how you maintain that winning culture and sustain continued success. You can’t find a game from the last two seasons where the team worked as hard as they did last night.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
They’re still slotted for the 7th spot in the lottery and haven’t even hit the most difficult parts of their schedule. Zucc is easily a goner at the deadline, and Hayes probably is too if Gorton can get some team to pay out the nose.

Newflash: if the kids sucked ass this year, that means this rebuild was probably dead in the water from the beginning. Having Howden, Chytil, Buch, Mika, ADA, Pionk, Kravtsov, K’Andre, Shesty, etc. all doing really well this year is a great sign for them moving forward.

They still don’t have the talent to sustain this winning over the course of the season and will end up being a lottery team. However, seeing them buy in and work their asses off under Quinn is how you maintain that winning culture and sustain continued success. You can’t find a game from the last two seasons where the team worked as hard as they did last night.
While they might of clipped a year or two off of getting to the playoffs, it seems like they’ve also clipped of the barron and totally hopeless part of rebuilds off too, as a fan it’s much easier to be on board with it and want to still watch every game

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
For a couple games, why not.

Names - Zib - Zucc
Kreider - Hayes - Vesey
Chytil - Howden - Buch
Spooner - Lias - Fast
Cloud

Skjei - ADA
Staal - Pionk
Smith - Shatty
McQuiaid

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think that's something we can't discount --- the team is getting good play from some young players. It's not like the team is being carried by Shattenkirk, Zucc and guys who probably aren't long-term mainstays like Spooner.

We all love potential, but at some point it's nice to see that potential manifest itself in reality.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

Are you ok? Blink twice if you need help.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Kinda fun watching RB flip the switch into FULL opposite for a long post.

It’s like Bern only the trades could probably occur in reality.

Reactions: SA16

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think that's something we can't discount --- the team is getting good play from some young players. It's not like the team is being carried by Shattenkirk, Zucc and guys who probably aren't long-term mainstays like Spooner.

We all love potential, but at some point it's nice to see that potential manifest itself in reality.
And this manifestation in reality is what will separate this rebuild from being successful in theory to actually yielding positive, tangible results. Hell, they haven’t even added two of their most skilled prospects yet from the last draft and are developing some nice niche role players in Hartford.

The kids are hungry and want to win hockey games. I genuinely don’t understand how that can be viewed in any form of a negative light.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

While I agree with much of that, there still seems to be some talent gaps between all of that and what the Cup winners usually have, and without them drafting super early I'm not sure where that gap is closed.

To put it another way, if this current pool/youth already had some top potential players, like two potential cream of the crop skaters, I think all that would be far more encouraging.

As is, if this pool is only going to turn out players who at their peak are, to use past Rangers, Dubinsky, Ansimov, Callahan, Staal, Del Zotto, Stepan it is still going to leave them pretty much where they were with those players no matter how hard they work.

If that comes to pass they are going to likely repeat history, add a Panarin which is basically more or less a Gaborik, then maybe eventually trade some of those players for a Nash. Add in UFAs who are supposed to put them over the top. Rent/Buy/Repeat.

Seeing the current youth progress is great, the team overall working for it I agree that helps the culture, but without the couple top end talents I think they'll always, in the playoffs, run into some team who works just as hard but has more of that game breaking ability.

Maybe I am underestimating the ceiling of the current pool, maybe they get lucky in the lottery or just in the draft in general, maybe they have better scouting then others, maybe a lesser talented group can beat a more talented but lesser hard working group, Maybe I am overestimating the impact the leagues best players have in the playoffs? I don't know but I am concerned about this whole rebuild kind of just turning out to end up more or less a good team that has a punchers chance at a Cup rather than one going in as one of the favorites.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Welcome to the Dark Side.

6709-1024.jpg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
While I agree with much of that, there still seems to be some talent gaps between all of that and what the Cup winners usually have, and without them drafting super early I'm not sure where that gap is closed.

To put it another way, if this current pool/youth already had some top potential players, like two potential cream of the crop skaters, I think all that would be far more encouraging.

As is, if this pool is only going to turn out players who at their peak are, to use past Rangers, Dubinsky, Ansimov, Callahan, Staal, Del Zotto, Stepan it is still going to leave them pretty much where they were with those players no matter how hard they work.

If that comes to pass they are going to likely repeat history, add a Panarin which is basically more or less a Gaborik, then maybe eventually trade some of those players for a Nash. Add in UFAs who are supposed to put them over the top. Rent/Buy/Repeat.

Seeing the current youth progress is great, the team overall working for it I agree that helps the culture, but without the couple top end talents I think they'll always, in the playoffs, run into some team who works just as hard but has more of that game breaking ability.

Maybe I am underestimating the ceiling of the current pool, maybe they get lucky in the lottery or just in the draft in general, maybe they have better scouting then others, maybe a lesser talented group can beat a more talented but lesser hard working group, Maybe I am overestimating the impact the leagues best players have in the playoffs? I don't know but I am concerned about this whole rebuild kind of just turning out to end up more or less a good team that has a punchers chance at a Cup rather than one going in as one of the favorites.

Here's the funny thing. The Rangers were 3 games away from a cup, and a handful of games away from 3 appearances in the final.

Listening to some people on here, they may have even been a different coach away from a cup or two.

I think we tend to look back on the last decade like it was a good regular season team that didn't make it out of the second round.

I don't think it was as far off from a different outcome as we sometimes make it out to be.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Here's the funny thing. The Rangers were 3 games away from a cup, and a handful of games away from 3 appearances in the final.

Listening to some people on here, they may have even been a different coach away from a cup or two.

I think we tend to look back on the last decade like it was a good regular season team that didn't make it out of the second round.

I don't think it was as far off from a different outcome as we sometimes make it out to be.
The way a few people around here talk about that Rangers run you’d think they were the Blues or the Wild

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The way a few people around here talk about that Rangers run you’d think they were the Blues or the Wild

I always joke about how I feel the GDTs have become like that.

If I wasn't following the game, and went exclusively off the commentary on the GDT, I'd think the Rangers were losing 7-1 and getting blitzed right out of the league.

There was at least one time I was on the train, not watching the game and assumed we were getting destroyed. I went over to NHL.com and saw we were up 2-1.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Honestly I think those runs were more of the variety which always came up short due to the roster of the other team who eliminated them just overwhelming the Rangers roster where even Lundqvist could not mitigate the difference in skater quality.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

God this is so over the top and excessive. Stop with the crying already. The team won some games, grow up. They arent abandoning the rebuild. They will trade off their assets. Hayes is playing well, tallying three points last night increasing his trade value. Nothing has changed. Stop acting like a loser wanting your team to lose. Tanking for a draft pick on purpose is flat out embarrassing and shameful. If the team happens to land there then so be it.

Quinn’s job is to build a culture, a culture towards winning by developing the young players he has. Teaching them. He is doing a fantastic job. This team competes every night. In the last several years under AV, his teams would not have taken advantage of a team on back-to-backs like Quinn’s did last night in the 3rd period. They took the game to them skating hard and wearing them down. That is good coaching.

This team will finish wherever they are supposed to and will have that 1st round pick in addition to maybe 1-2 more depending on what happens via trades and with Tampa. Maybe 1-3 more. That would be 7-9 1st round picks from 2017-219 drafts. Even if they are not lottery picks, if you cannot find great talent out of that many 1st round picks then you can only fault upper management and the scouting department because they failed significantly.

Oh and for the last time, signing Panarin will absolutely not hurt this rebuild. Give it a rest

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC

I think as the salary cap league matures, there will be some different ways to win cups. Players are now getting bigger numbers in their second contracts before they are truly ready to be leaders for their teams. Yeah, they may put up a lot of points, but it takes a few "kicks at the can" (Sorry, couldn't help myself) before a team is ready to win. Look at Washington, how may times did they fail before they won their cup. Do you (not you in particular) think that Toronto is going to get that many chances with the impending Salary Cap crunch, what about Winnipeg? It looks like they are going to have last year and this year before having to reset a bit.

Maybe the way going forward is going to he 12 deep up front and 6 deep on the back end and go more balanced than top heavy.

But what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad