Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Fast and Buch need to switch positions. I don't know what Buch did to Quinn, or what he didn't do in practice as far as effort is concerned. Buch is a skill guy, who needs to play with skill players.

Fast is a fourth line player. This is infuriating and is hurting Kreider and Zib 5v5 offensive production.

Fast had a goal against the Preds from Chytil's good vision in tight. Since then he's had all secondary assists. It's a straight up tank move to kill our top line production.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Exactly...so you agree that this team is not suddenly better then a bottom five team because they have been competitive so far.
No. I agree that a 2-4-1 record is misleading because it's only been 7 games. I agree with @Inferno that a bounce here or there is the difference, in a sample this small, between 2-4-1 and 3-4 or 4-3. On the flipside, one or two more bad games from Hank, and maybe this team doesn't have a win.

I don't believe you can claim a team "is what their record says they are" after 7 games.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
But if they feel like they can get more out of the kids at the NHL level, then why not? Take Howden for instance

Howden has had a decent start to the season, in the grand scheme of things I still would have had him in the AHL to start the year instead of having him pegged as the 4th line center on the NHL team.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Oh no the team hasn't started off playing as poorly as people hoped. What a shame.

They’re essentially 3 games under .500 without a win in regulation.

This team was expected to suck and so far, they’ve sucked. I don’t know what people were expecting.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They should send Chytil and Howden to the AHL.

I have agreed with that since before the season started and still do to a point. However since Howden has run with it to a point I don't think they should discourage that.

I don't think they should have started either in the NHL, nor Georgiev.

Now that they have, Howden at least seems to look about ready although I am a bit concerned that 5on5 (no idea if empty netters apply) he has been on ice for 6 goals against and 3 for.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
If Chytil gets sent down Howden must stay especially if the organization sees Lias, Filip and Brett as centers. He will not get enough playing time in the AHL as a center with Lias and Filip ahead of him.

I think Howden is NHL ready and has been getting good ice time so far (14:40 average ice time per game). He's also a beast on faceoffs and has generally been sound defensively outside of that one bad play where he screened Hank.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I don't think RB is saying the players shouldn't try and win. I think what he is saying is that Gorton has the ability to almost take that opportunity out of their hands by making the right personnel moves.

Your post, and others posters, imply Gorton should have unloaded more at the draft. I'm just not sure the moves were there. People also thought McDonagh should have been moved in the summer too. Gorton crushed it with the Nash trade.

Maybe the fans can just look at the lack of trades as a sign that interest isn't there yet. Maybe fans shouldn't panic because they took 4 games to OT and dared to gain points.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Why should Howden be sent down? I don't have any problem with the roster composition since opening night. If Chytil continues to struggle, send him down. If a 20 year old comes up to replace him so be it. Enough with the Paul Carey's of the world.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He has not been used as a 4th line center

At the start of the season he was being used as the 4th line center.

The choice was to use him there and try Chytil higher up, or use Chytil as the 4th line center, or send one or the other down, or send both down.

I would have sent both down and allowed all three, including Lias, be the top 3 centers in the AHL.

I would have likely kept up Fogarty or Holland to be the NHL center behind Zbad, Hayes and be mixed in with Spooner, Name and even McLeod as the centers.

I have been trying to find the post I made right before they announced their final roster that stated that but the search function on this site is apparently beyond my abilities.

I found it

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ng-camp-thread.2540931/page-22#post-150008799

At this point I do not think Howden should be sent down, but I also may be one of the few who sees his play as pretty good and not stellar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->