Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Lindgren's minutes are more in need of being replaced, which is baked into to what I said.

You can get "a Roslovic," I guess. I'll gladly take Kakko's potential (however arguable) for similar money.
Right but Kakko may be a chip to get that Lindgren replacement player.

You don’t have to get a Roslovic in the summer. You give Othmann a shot and if he cannot do it, then you go find someone who can. Thats roster asset management

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t know where you ever got the idea Mika was a a born right wing. He’s not. And with his ticket, he won’t ever be with this team.
It is not an either-or binary exclusive situation.
He is righty shot, and could readily slide over to W.
So your posture he can't be a W is, IMO, wrong.

The ? is, where is he most productive, and that appears to be heavily influenced by who that other linemate is.

Remember, chemistry is a real thing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I view it completely opposite to you. It’s easier to replace Kakko’s minutes than Lindgren’s minutes. Getting a Fox a legit first pairing partner needs to be the top priority this offseason. You can get a bottom six wing
disagree
esp if we take into acct salary acceleration short term, and wear and tear impact on the asset

KK is a bull and a diamond in the rough

Lindgren, appreciate all he has done, but going forward, dat wuz den an dis is now. Giving him a deal = risk of Girardi II

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That’s fine but again it depends on how big of a raise that he wants. This team needs to be very careful with the cap. You can’t go crazy to keep him either. No one is saying he is bad. The team has to make tough economic decisions though. We can say 20-93-24 has been a good line; but we’ve also avoided putting it back together. Got to be a reason for that too.

I’m just kind of in the boat that then need to get a legit 1 LHD at (mostly) all costs this offseason.
6 yrs 4.5 per he might bite

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If we win the Cup I'll get an OJ Simpson Rangers jersey.
No dis on our friend @Kupo who is a Bills fan and they have mostly been a legit quality franchise all these years.
That said Orenthal was a sleaze

Remind me sometime in appropriate context, perhaps an OT thread, when I am not super busy, to alert that I wrote a movie script which is parallel + parody of OJ story in a French Lieutenant's Woman motif.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hopefully we've moved past the days of teacher's pet getting special treatment. Plus Lavi doesn't have a hardon for Rempe like AV did with Glass. Glass didn't have any business being on the ice - full stop. Rempe's got time to mold his NHL game and already provides something demonstrable. I don't think Lavi is stupid enough to trot Rempe out in the dying minutes of a must-win playoff game. Trotting him out there in the opening 5-10 minutes of a 0-0 playoff game, let him go nuts. Maybe that'll be the reminder for NYR of where they are and that it's not illegal to play with the same intensity.
Not prejudging
that said, giving mins to youth w/energy during last mins of p'o might not be worst thing if older vets are/are getting gassed.

The open mind...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Disagreed. If he was merely getting by on pure size there would be more behemoths roaming the NHL. I don’t think you are wrong about what he needs to work on, but IMO he is not nearly as bad at most of those things as you are saying.
Rempe does not have Mario Lemieux/J Jagr graceful skating moves,
but
he is not a blundering clod out there either

decent speed overall, effective straightaway burst
room to improve, yes, but not a liability vs. most of the league
acknowledging some elite skaters can undress almost anybody

Why can’t we can be both hyped about a big infectiously positive long shot making it AND want more from proven players who are, in contrast, not showing the intensity we might want? What’s wrong with that? I love Kreider, I still think he needs to score more goals at 5v5. I think that’s a reasonable want.

And I’m very positive about this team as a whole. I think our chances are about as good as ANY team’s to win it all this year. That’s about all a reasonable fan could want.
fully agree, except that in case of Kreider, some of it is funk by Zib on and off and absence of correct other linemate, whether that be a pivot or a RW

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

You don’t have to get a Roslovic in the summer. You give Othmann a shot and if he cannot do it, then you go find someone who can. Thats roster asset management
yeah, no
Agree apply Oth as soon as it makes sense, but my pt remains

dealing KK on a discount is bad roster mgt

IF Habs or other Canada based team overpays significantly, then sell very high on LaF

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Rempe does not have Mario Lemieux/J Jagr graceful skating moves,
but
he is not a blundering clod out there either

decent speed overall, effective straightaway burst
room to improve, yes, but not a liability vs. most of the league
acknowledging some elite skaters can undress almost anybody

fully agree, except that in case of Kreider, some of it is funk by Zib on and off and absence of correct other linemate, whether that be a pivot or a RW
Well, Kreider is certainly impacted by Mika’s play… and vice versa.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I think Othmann probably also goes for that LHD.

I’ve long wondered what packaging kakko, Othmann and Lindgren could return.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
yeah, no
Agree apply Oth as soon as it makes sense, but my pt remains

dealing KK on a discount is bad roster mgt

IF Habs or other Canada based team overpays significantly, then sell very high on LaF
I don’t think you are selling high on Lafreniere if you move him now. I think Lafreniere with an establish role and established linemates can get him to jump another level. To me selling high means you don’t think it gets better than this year. Also I’m not breaking up the top line. KK I don’t really WANT to trade, but recognize it might be economically prudent to do so. I think he is a nice chip and wouldn’t move him just to get rid.

I think Othmann probably also goes for that LHD.

I’ve long wondered what packaging kakko, Othmann and Lindgren could return.
I think if Othmann was going, he would have went for Guentzel.

Now, I think he stays to replace Kakko, and Lindgren gets a contract he won’t deserve. This obviously isn’t what I would do though

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don’t think you are selling high on Lafreniere if you move him now. I think Lafreniere with an establish role and established linemates can get him to jump another level. To me selling high means you don’t think it gets better than this year. Also I’m not breaking up the top line. KK I don’t really WANT to trade, but recognize it might be economically prudent to do so. I think he is a nice chip and wouldn’t move him just to get rid.

I think if Othmann was going, he would have went for Guentzel.

Now, I think he stays to replace Kakko, and Lindgren gets a contract he won’t deserve. This obviously isn’t what I would do though

I don’t.

They don’t give up top prospects for rentals. Things change when we’re talking about players with term.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.

I get the argument of trying to do a 2for1 end result to upgrade 1LD. I might disagree in this case, but you're not crazy.

I'm not trading one of the only RW in our entire system to upgrade a different position. Bump Kakko up, still give Otter a shot at 3RW. That's a lot of LW at RW. I'm still into it, though.

Free up Goodrow's money (even if it's a buyout), and we make almost the same amount of space without giving up Kakko. Put the 2025 1st on the table instead, and we're still talking about a real LD upgrade opportunity.

Hanifin at a little over what he got (because taxes) would have been doable in FA and cost nothing in trade. No longer possible, but that means Shea Theodore might not cost too much to acquire. Certainly shouldn't cost Kakko.

That's still roster asset management. We can talk about specific 1LD options before assuming KK is part of the deal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t.

They don’t give up top prospects for rentals. Things change when we’re talking about players with term.
Maybe they should have. The difference between Guenztel and Roslovic could easily decide the Metro. With our cap situation, do not think we could have gotten anyone term would have made as much sense as Guentzel either

I get the argument of trying to do a 2for1 end result to upgrade 1LD. I might disagree in this case, but you're not crazy.

I'm not trading one of the only RW in our entire system to upgrade a different position. Bump Kakko up, still give Otter a shot at 3RW. That's a lot of LW at RW. I'm still into it, though.

Free up Goodrow's money (even if it's a buyout), and we make almost the same amount of space without giving up Kakko. Put the 2025 1st on the table instead, and we're still talking about a real LD upgrade opportunity.

Hanifin at a little over what he got (because taxes) would have been doable in FA and cost nothing in trade. No longer possible, but that means Shea Theodore might not cost too much to acquire. Certainly shouldn't cost Kakko.

That's still roster asset management. We can talk about specific 1LD options before assuming KK is part of the deal.
I’ve been talking about Theodore since the Hanifin trade that’s the guy to get. I have no problem using Kakko as ammo to get Theodore.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Unless he asks out behind the scenes, I'm keeping him around. Since 20 & 93 have seemingly the same results regardless of 3rd amigo, that's where I'd keep him for ALL of next season. Gives him the best chance to approach his ceiling, and us a chance to see more clearly what that ceiling could be.

Let a kid take a spot on that 3rd line wing. Two kids, if you start out Cuylle on the 4th. Not an indictment of Will, just "so much F talent that a tough young guy most teams would kill to have on their 3rd line is the highlight of our top tier 4th line."

Absolute Fantasy Land:
Bread Line, Kakko with the bois, Berard - Chytil - Othmann, Cuylle - Not Goodrow - Vesey

Possibly take a big swing at the TDL.
Cuylle shouldn’t have his role diminished next year after the season he’s had.
If anything, he should be getting more min/opportunity……
Our PP is likely set for the next 2 seasons.
If Goodrow is traded/bought out there can be at least 1 open FWD spot for the PK.
I assume Krieder will remain a mainstay on it…..
Kakko should step up and fill that role if he’s here.
If chytil is healthy, it gives the team so many more possibilities next season.
They can run
Panarin-Tro-laf
Cuylle-Zibby-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Othmann/berard

All pretty evenly, at least for 15-20 games….
4th should be the shutdown/ matchup line…
Rempe/UFA-Edstrom-vesey
Ex Brod

The. 4th needs to give this team at least 10-12 min of trusted hockey a game.

Reactions: bhamill

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Maybe they should have. The difference between Guenztel and Roslovic could easily decide the Metro. With our cap situation, do not think we could have gotten anyone term would have made as much sense as Guentzel either

I’ve been talking about Theodore since the Hanifin trade that’s the guy to get. I have no problem using Kakko as ammo to get Theodore.
bold: prob there is yeah, quality immediate help looks/feels good, BUT
but then you shorten your window
that is the cost of win now, it is too high and we see it doesn't work

would love Theodore but almost any sale of KK now would be w/him undervalued
other currency has to be explored

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t think you are selling high on Lafreniere if you move him now. I think Lafreniere with an establish role and established linemates can get him to jump another level. To me selling high means you don’t think it gets better than this year. Also I’m not breaking up the top line. KK I don’t really WANT to trade, but recognize it might be economically prudent to do so. I think he is a nice chip and wouldn’t move him just to get rid. ....
Devil is in the details
IF we get Guhle AND Reinbacher AND win on coupla other pieces going both ways, that is enuf. Grab bird in the hand over 2 in the bush.
Sure LaF value likely goes up >> or maybe even >>>
BUT
so does value of target pieces we seek

Habs + Sens should have ost interest from a canada based team
then VAN/EDM/CGY with Leafs/Jets bringing up the rear

I want signif overpay in the currency I want.
I think one of them bites

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
No he won't.

He literally cannot go any faster than he already has. Thats his top gear, he isn't going to be faster than Kreider, Schneider, Miller or Roslovic.

Or Zibanejad, Lafreniere or Chytil for that matter.

Anyway his top gear isn't really the problem. His turns can be timed with a sun dial.
Aren’t you the same guy that said Panarin was washed and we should trade him for a bag of rice cakes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad