Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
bern would do it:
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Kreider - Edstrom - Zibanejad OR Kreider - Zibanejad - Otthmann/Berard
Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko
Vesey/Goodrow - Edstrom/Rempe - Rempe/Brodz

Wennberg last resort F

the above D is all we can do for now

Thank you.
apparently my memory here was ballpark close
pt is, Rempe helps us win, and has further potential to be developed into full measure player -- maybe not at higher talent levels, but most of what is needed across the board
no reason, e.g., this guy can't help Kreider get a bit of a rest and screen front of net on PP

Fair pt, yes, but ignores that there were counterbalances to those actions.
Opp players got their bell wrung for period +.
and/or
Their instigators were also thrown out
which helped guys like bread

correction 1:
Brodz is 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 x Leshitshow

correction 2:
chemistry is important
he is obv not top shelf, agreed, but I would not hold him back wherever he works in a given combo, regardless of which # line that is
I don’t know where you ever got the idea Mika was a a born right wing. He’s not. And with his ticket, he won’t ever be with this team.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
lol that may have been true for that game.

Rempes top speed is below average.

View attachment 851720

Players on the Rangers who have hit a higher top gear this year

-Kreider
-Zibanejad
-Roslovic
-Lafreniere
-Trocheck
-Panarin
-Cuylle
-Wennberg
-Brodzinski
-Wheeler
-Pitlick
-Edstrom
-Goodrow
-Miller
-Schneider
-Gus

It's also just straight up not true. Rempe is 19/26 on the team in fastest speed among players who played 10+ games. The only forwards he has been faster than are Kaapo Kakko and Nick Bonino.
Give Rempe 80 games like the rest in a larger sample size and he certainly surpasses them, when you compare apples to apples within the same game he will typically be near the top. For instance in how few games Rempe has played (and few minutes) he already has more total Speed Burts over 20 mph than Kaapo Kakko, Adam Fox, this season.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I’m actually on the move on from Kakko bandwagon. Either except who he is a 3rd liner or give him a chance to be more than that on another team. Kid is not going to have a chance to hit his ceiling here, and at this point not sure what his ceiling is anymore .
Unless he asks out behind the scenes, I'm keeping him around. Since 20 & 93 have seemingly the same results regardless of 3rd amigo, that's where I'd keep him for ALL of next season. Gives him the best chance to approach his ceiling, and us a chance to see more clearly what that ceiling could be.

Let a kid take a spot on that 3rd line wing. Two kids, if you start out Cuylle on the 4th. Not an indictment of Will, just "so much F talent that a tough young guy most teams would kill to have on their 3rd line is the highlight of our top tier 4th line."

Absolute Fantasy Land:
Bread Line, Kakko with the bois, Berard - Chytil - Othmann, Cuylle - Not Goodrow - Vesey

Possibly take a big swing at the TDL.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Give Rempe 80 games like the rest in a larger sample size and he certainly surpass them, when you compare apples to apples within the same game he will typically be near the top. For instance in how few games Rempe has played (and few minutes) he already has more total Speed Burts over 20 mph than Kaapo Kakko, Adam Fox, this season.

No he won't.

He literally cannot go any faster than he already has. Thats his top gear, he isn't going to be faster than Kreider, Schneider, Miller or Roslovic.

Or Zibanejad, Lafreniere or Chytil for that matter.

Anyway his top gear isn't really the problem. His turns can be timed with a sun dial.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
No he won't.

He literally cannot go any faster than he already has. Thats his top gear, he isn't going to be faster than Kreider, Schneider, Miller or Roslovic.

Or Zibanejad or Chytil for that matter.

Anyway his top gear isn't really the problem. His turns can be timed with a sun dial.
A guy playing 5 min per night for a handful of games has less opportunities to go on a full steam ahead sprint, those analytics are their top speed burst ever reached in the season. Obviously when you have more opportunities to have your top burst you will have better odds. It's hard to believe a guy who's near the in individual games would be near the bottom after 80 games to amass his fastest sprint.

It definitely goes against the notion that he is slow, he is fast and fast enough to keep up and nail guys on the forecheck. Unlike someone like Lucic who was truly lugging around at the tail end of his career.

When people talk slow though they're typically referring to what I'm referring to, a better term would be he has poor edges/poor agility. Which I agree, though with his massive frame that he hasn't filled out yet; it's to be expected. I'm sure that is the number one thing that he's going to be working on this offseason. It can certainly be improved

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Kakko in the same boat as Lindgren for me. Neither have justified their RFA raises so they are in the shop window for me
It will be very difficult to replace a responsible 40pt RW for whatever his next salary is.

It will be pretty easy to replace a responsible 15pt LD for less than Lindgren's next deal. A lot of room to improve upon him for the same or more.

Different boats for me.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It will be very difficult to replace a responsible 40pt RW for whatever his next salary is.

It will be pretty easy to replace a responsible 15pt LD for less than Lindgren's next deal. A lot of room to improve upon him for the same or more.

Different boats for me.
I view it completely opposite to you. It’s easier to replace Kakko’s minutes than Lindgren’s minutes. Getting a Fox a legit first pairing partner needs to be the top priority this offseason. You can get a bottom six wing

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I view it completely opposite to you. It’s easier to replace Kakko’s minutes than Lindgren’s minutes. Getting a Fox a legit first pairing partner needs to be the top priority this offseason. You can get a bottom six wing
and yet as soon as kakko went down we struggled, and then when he came back we started winning a lot more.
Kakko does a lot of things that cause wins. He doesn’t always get points for them.
20-93-24 dominated puck possession when he was on the line this year.
do I think he’s currently worth 8m? Absolutely not, but if we offered him an 5x5, I think he takes it, and we have a defensively responsible middle 6 in his prime who can pop off for minimum 40 pts a year, with a higher ceiling.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
and yet as soon as kakko went down we struggled, and then when he came back we started winning a lot more.
Kakko does a lot of things that cause wins. He doesn’t always get points for them.
20-93-24 dominated puck possession when he was on the line this year.
do I think he’s currently worth 8m? Absolutely not, but if we offered him an 5x5, I think he takes it, and we have a defensively responsible middle 6 in his prime who can pop off for minimum 40 pts a year, with a higher ceiling.
That’s fine but again it depends on how big of a raise that he wants. This team needs to be very careful with the cap. You can’t go crazy to keep him either. No one is saying he is bad. The team has to make tough economic decisions though. We can say 20-93-24 has been a good line; but we’ve also avoided putting it back together. Got to be a reason for that too.

I’m just kind of in the boat that then need to get a legit 1 LHD at (mostly) all costs this offseason.

Reactions: UnparalledPark

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Rempes usefulness is significantly outweighed by his deficiencies.
He’s not good enough to not get pinned in the defensive zone, where his one good trait is entirely neutralized. Hes still not winning enough puck battles, he makes terrible passes, and can’t really stick handle the level he needs to.
He’s gotten this far on pure size, he needs to improve in everything else now.
Tanner Glass stuck around the league for about a decade solely because he was likeable and I'm sure he's not the only one. Rempe currently has value to this franchise if for nothing else than providing everyone with a kick in the ass when they're sleepwalking. For right now, for a guy playing 5 minutes a night (if he can make it to that mark), he does exactly what he needs to do and is asked of him. Cave in a few faces, get in the other team's head a little, let them know NYR have a maniac they can send out if anyone wants to a little froggy. He's been getting plenty of tips since arriving in NY, I'm excited to see how he looks next season after marinating in everything during the summer.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Tanner Glass was on the ice when the Sens tied a game then won in the playoffs . They had no business winning that series but icing a tough guy has it’s consequences
Hopefully we've moved past the days of teacher's pet getting special treatment. Plus Lavi doesn't have a hardon for Rempe like AV did with Glass. Glass didn't have any business being on the ice - full stop. Rempe's got time to mold his NHL game and already provides something demonstrable. I don't think Lavi is stupid enough to trot Rempe out in the dying minutes of a must-win playoff game. Trotting him out there in the opening 5-10 minutes of a 0-0 playoff game, let him go nuts. Maybe that'll be the reminder for NYR of where they are and that it's not illegal to play with the same intensity.

Reactions: bernmeister

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Lindgren's minutes are more in need of being replaced, which is baked into to what I said.

You can get "a Roslovic," I guess. I'll gladly take Kakko's potential (however arguable) for similar money.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hopefully we've moved past the days of teacher's pet getting special treatment. Plus Lavi doesn't have a hardon for Rempe like AV did with Glass. Glass didn't have any business being on the ice - full stop. Rempe's got time to mold his NHL game and already provides something demonstrable. I don't think Lavi is stupid enough to trot Rempe out in the dying minutes of a must-win playoff game. Trotting him out there in the opening 5-10 minutes of a 0-0 playoff game, let him go nuts. Maybe that'll be the reminder for NYR of where they are and that it's not illegal to play with the same intensity.
The pet I'm worried about wears #8

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Rempes usefulness is significantly outweighed by his deficiencies.
He’s not good enough to not get pinned in the defensive zone, where his one good trait is entirely neutralized. Hes still not winning enough puck battles, he makes terrible passes, and can’t really stick handle the level he needs to.
He’s gotten this far on pure size, he needs to improve in everything else now.
Disagreed. If he was merely getting by on pure size there would be more behemoths roaming the NHL. I don’t think you are wrong about what he needs to work on, but IMO he is not nearly as bad at most of those things as you are saying.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
This team broke their record for most wins in a season, and are on the verge of winning the president’s trophy but you would not think it from reading this forum.

Everyone is more hyped about a 6’7” 4th liner who will likely be the 13th forward for the playoffs. Then you have a guy who has a chance to hit 40+ plus goals again , is a home grown drafted Ranger and people are like meh…..he needs to be better.
Why can’t we can be both hyped about a big infectiously positive long shot making it AND want more from proven players who are, in contrast, not showing the intensity we might want? What’s wrong with that? I love Kreider, I still think he needs to score more goals at 5v5. I think that’s a reasonable want.

And I’m very positive about this team as a whole. I think our chances are about as good as ANY team’s to win it all this year. That’s about all a reasonable fan could want.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad