Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VIII: Autumn in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
saying our draft class stunk is like saying water is wet. but a little premature to call the 2015 draft the deepest anything considering how few guys after our first pick have not even played a single game in the nhl...nothing unusual about that only 2 years after the draft, but lets wait for some of the players to actually make the nhl, no less have success before declaring the class great

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
People also need to learn to separate "draft turned out bad" with "NYR drafted badly", they don't have to be the same.

Drafting after the 1st round is a crap shoot, when you have only late picks like NYR for 5 years then drafts will look bad in hindsight, doesn't mean they picked badly.. (we did pick really bad in 2014 though)

Reactions: kovazub94

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
So? Yeah, it's turning into a disaster in hindsight, but on draft day it was far from a disaster. Can't evaluate how well a team drafted in hindsight, gotta evaluate how they did on draft day.

I disagree - I HATED this draft while it was happening. Hated the return we got for both Talbot and Hags, hated that we didn't take Sprong, hated that we traded down and missed out on both Bracco and Kylington (not that Kylington looks like he's going to turn into much, but at the time I was shaking my head at how badly we drafted). The lone bright spot for me was Saarela and we traded him.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I disagree - I HATED this draft while it was happening. Hated the return we got for both Talbot and Hags, hated that we didn't take Sprong, hated that we traded down and missed out on both Bracco and Kylington (not that Kylington looks like he's going to turn into much, but at the time I was shaking my head at how badly we drafted). The lone bright spot for me was Saarela and we traded him.

I never said it was a perfect draft, i wanted those players too... But Saarela, Kovács, Morrison and Huska were all good picks, i'd add Bernhardt into that group aswell, he had the stats to back up being picked where he was.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Seem like (unfathomable) Desjardins plus somebody up front they are likely eying on the waiver wire tomorrow will get contracts. I cannot see it any other way.
Why wouldn't they just call up Puempel or Nieves or Lettieri?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So yeah, Puljujarvi sent down to the AHL, so can't wait for all of the Zucc to Edmonton for Puljujarvi proposals we'll see this season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If Vatrano hits waivers you take him all day. Doubt he would fall to us though

If Vatrano hits waivers, the Boston Bruins organization should be disbanded and their GM should be arrested.

He's better than like 7 of their forwards.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Vatrano is the ultimate 4A player... just way way too good for the AHL, but can't carve a role in the NHL.

His shot can beat AHL goalies clean, but it's that of a 4th liner at the NHL.

He doesn't play a 4th line game. You're talking about a Plus version of Nigel Dawes here, and Nigel played well with the Rangers.

He has 18 goals in 83 NHL games getting an average of about 12:30 a game I don't think his offense has been the issue

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
He has 18 goals in 83 NHL games getting an average of about 12:30 a game I don't think his offense has been the issue
His shooting isn’t the issue. Vision and passing are his biggest barrier. If he could develop that he would be on that second line in Boston.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Seem like (unfathomable) Desjardins plus somebody up front they are likely eying on the waiver wire tomorrow will get contracts. I cannot see it any other way.

Yeah, also, there just seem to be a complete hang-up on the market. Vegas doing nothing so far. No other deals.

I think Carey was OK, but I mean like we should definitely be able to dig up another player or two who would be happy to play for us and have more ability or at least add more depth.

I would be surprised if Gorton didn't have a few leads lined up that he is pushing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nieves post-game was already at the XL Center. After finishing a workout, he was chatting with the Rangers new Director of Player Development, ex-Pack Jed Ortmeyer, and Rangers’ Special Advisor, Brian Leetch.

Had a chance to chat with Ortmeyer during the pre-game. The Rangers reached out to him for the position.

“Dru (GM, Chris Drury) and I had the same agent, so that’s where it started and I got a nice call from Adam Graves as well. It’s always nice to be wanted.”

With a truncated pre-season evaluation process time has shrunk.

“You try to see how some chemistry might form, how guys handle different situations and who handles them well. We get a pretty good baseline from out of the main camp and some are more advanced because we have seen them since Traverse City.”

Ortmeyer is working with the rest of the executive team in the big job of overhauling the team. “That’s the plan, and we’re just starting.”

http://www.howlings.net/2017/10/01/cantlon-wolf-pack-shutout-in-pre-season-opener/

Nice quote from Ortmeyer. The Rangers will need to keep and add picks. Draft well. Scout. Draft. Develop. They can't rely on college free agents. They have a major job ahead of them.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Honestly with all available to us information Day going back to be #1 defenseman at Windsor is / as should have been expected. He's never been counted on as that so it should be a good challenge and experience for Day.

Carlos Ranger

Zucc-a-Rella
Apr 9, 2007
NJ
Drafting after the 1st round is a crap shoot, when you have only late picks like NYR for 5 years then drafts will look bad in hindsight, doesn't mean they picked badly.. (we did pick really bad in 2014 though)
Doesn't matter. If they turn a 4th round pick into a franchise goaltender and nobody else from that draft year even goes pro, that's a homerun draft.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Doesn't matter. If they turn a 4th round pick into a franchise goaltender and nobody else from that draft year even goes pro, that's a homerun draft.

Agreed. Looking back on Lundqvist's draft year, the Rangers took a bunch of garbage before they took Hank in the 7th round.

There is so much luck and the developmental up's and down's of the picks to take into account, that I'd say if you can look back on a draft year and say you got one key player out of it, it should be seen as a success.

Shestyorkin looks right now to be Hank's successor. All going well, he should be the team's netminder for years. That's a pretty key piece to pick up with a 4th round pick.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So yeah, Puljujarvi sent down to the AHL, so can't wait for all of the Zucc to Edmonton for Puljujarvi proposals we'll see this season.

I decided to take a trip over to the Edmonton board to see what they were saying about Puljujärvi’s demotion, and half of the posters are saying they should trade him before his value drops any lower

Kid needs work, but man are oilers fans crazy

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Great stuff RB.

I must admit that I am a bit surprised with how Orts put it, if it can be taken as a vision for which direction the team is going.

This is kind of how I could see the roster sort out in the coming years:
Andersson (18 y/o)-Zib (24)-Buch (22)
Kreider (26)-Chytil (18)-Zucc (30)
Miller (24)-Hayes (25)-Vesey (24)
X-X-Fast (25)
McD (28)-Shatty (28)
Skjei (23)-Pionk (23)
Smith (28)-DeAngelo (21)

We often see teams like Winnipeg and the likes plan ahead with similar line-ups and claim how their lineup is set and they have no room for improvements etc. But those teams (i) are not good on the ice, they don't have a platform in place, and (ii) the speculation is often based to a large extent on wishful thinking. If you have a group of good looking young players outside the NHL -- they rarely transform to the NHL like expected. BUT, I would definitely argue that Andersson, Chytil, Pionk and DeAngelo differs from that rule. I have no doubt that Andersson can become a decent top 9 player starting next season. Very low risk. Chytil is so close already, he is also becoming a good top 9 player. Sure, one of Pionk and DeAngelo could struggle, or both, you never know, but we also have Graves and Bereglazov in the system, and LD's are the easiest players to find, and Smith could slide over to the right.

My point is just, who are we overhauling? We are rebuilding our farm, sure, I am sure that JG is looking to add what might be lacking from a cup winner potential re the NHL roster, we want more picks etc. But to me an overhaul means moving a number of NHL players. Not sure who that would be though (Zucc? McD? Shatty/Smith? Kreider?).

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

You're missing my point, my point is that you shouldn't evaluate how well the team drafted by looking at how many players turned out good 5 years later.

In 2014 we drafted really badly, but we did find a great pick with Shestyorkin, so in hindsight it looks fine (good even) because we're likely getting a starting goalie, that doesn't change the fact that we drafted badly that year.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
A team needs to hit on their first round picks. They are not going to be perfect. If a team can select 4 out of 5 NHL players with their first rounders over 5 years and they can select 3-5 more players from the other rounds who play in the NHL,that's fine. Everyone is complaining about the Rangers drafts. They had no #1 picks or even #2nd round picks in nearly every draft from 2013-2016. The 2nd rounds picks. 1/3 play in the NHL. The Rangers had two #1 picks in June. No 2nd or 3rd. Gorton tried to acquire the 4th pick from Edmonton in 2016. He tried to acquire the 7th pick from Arizona in 2016. Gorton was able to acquire 7th pick from Arizona in 2017. Jesse Puljujarvi went 4th. He was supposed to go to Columbus at #3. Puljujarvi was sent to the AHL yesterday. If Columbus had taken Puljujarvi at #3,would the Rangers and Edmonton made the trade? Who did the Rangers want? Tkachuk? Gorton started the transformation in 2016 with signing Buchnevich after 3 years in Russia. Traded Brassard for Zibanejad. Signed Vesey. The Rangers keep saying they have high hopes for Vesey and want him to take the next step. That's not going to happen playing on the 4th line with Deshairnars and Carey. No power play at all. The Rangers have too many wingers. Not enough ice time to satisfy everyone. The Rangers signed their college free agent in May. I like Pionk. He would have made the team if it wasn't for ADA. I like ADA too. Stepan and Raanta for 7th pick overall in Andersson and ADA. Used the first round pick on Chytil. Gorton needs to build on that. Management wants to turn over the roster & organization but it requires patience. Hopefully,Gorton will continue to add young skill players to the organization. The Rangers acquire another #1 pick for the June draft. So many major contracts coming up in the next two summers. Buyout Staal. The Rangers figure out which players they want to keep. The cap should go up. Keep building the team and when Shestyorkin comes over(establishes himself),the Rangers group will be ready to compete for the Cup again.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I decided to take a trip over to the Edmonton board to see what they were saying about Puljujärvi’s demotion, and half of the posters are saying they should trade him before his value drops any lower

Kid needs work, but man are oilers fans crazy
No, they aren't. And pot, meet kettle. A lot of organizations make moves their fans disagree with. Didn't philly just send down Sanheim? Their fans weren't happy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad