Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VI: Gorton's Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
We're in on and recruiting more players than we know. Pionk in particular was a high-profile free agent and I don't recall anything linking us to him prior to his signing. And again Georgiev was a guy I don't think anyone was aware was considering signing in North America, and then one day out of nowhere we sign him.

I think we just operate more under the radar. Maybe the Leafs want to advertise the fact that they're scouting and recruiting everywhere. I don't know. We always play it close to the vest.

We also get our fair share of mid-tier guys. Pedrie and Nell, for example, are unheralded signings that actually have the potential to become something substantially more down the road.

Toronto operates in a far more aggressive media environment than the Rangers. Gorton and AV may have already been there. We'll never know.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
In my mind, absolutely nothing wrong with Nash on a 2-3 year deal for 3-3.5 mil. (Assuming pending RFA money works out). That's good value for the player he is and will be over the term. Yeah he might get 4.5-5 mil somewhere else but I have a hunch he likes NY, good team with a chance, has been good with his money, is comfortable here, young family settled, and sees more opportunity for life after hockey here. Book it.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Rangers in on Zapirov. 13th forward? Seems too skilled for that. Maybe can fit in multiple places depending how camp goes with some people.

Like...if Rangers don't sign a 3C and Andersson doesn't stick...Miller to C and Zapirov on his wing?

Just something to think about.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Rangers in on Zapirov. 13th forward? Seems too skilled for that. Maybe can fit in multiple places depending how camp goes with some people.

Like...if Rangers don't sign a 3C and Andersson doesn't stick...Miller to C and Zapirov on his wing?

Hope he brings Mozaykin with him. Mike Keenan put in a good word for us about Beargloves. Can he help us again?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Going off stats alone it looks like he was a late bloomer. Didn't start putting good numbers up until he was in his mid 20s.

Would be kind of fun if we could afford both Russians. It would kind of be like bringing in the Swedes in 1978-79.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Going off stats alone it looks like he was a late bloomer. Didn't start putting good numbers up until he was in his mid 20s.

He is also listed as 163lbs....

hockeydb says 163 but eliteprospects (european run and more richer data and updates) says 192

anyway, i created a thread on this, mods close if you like
saw the originals elsewhere on my phone, when home used laptop to create a ricjer thread, but of course by then i was way behind you guys ..

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

If he comes it would be the likeliest scenario.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah thought so too. He is a good D, can become a top 4 maybe. But not Panarin II.

We actually got Bereglazov thanks to Mike Keenan who tipped us of him. We wasn't mentioned as a strong candidate for Zaitsev and Panarin, but who would have helped us a lot.

Just saying, you can always improve. Dolan spent 80m on salaries in 2003, the cap is still under that. We should have an unlimited budget when it comes to all areas of management of this team.

According to Gordie Clark, it was Mike Pelino, rather than Keenan, who put Beargloves on our radar.

Also, we might not have been a strong candidate for Zaitsev when he signed in 2016, but we also were the team that had him in camp in 2012. I don't think it'd be fair to say the Rangers didn't have him on their radar. These things don't always work out perfectly.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
According to Gordie Clark, it was Mike Pelino, rather than Keenan, who put Beargloves on our radar.

Also, we might not have been a strong candidate for Zaitsev when he signed in 2016, but we also were the team that had him in camp in 2012. I don't think it'd be fair to say the Rangers didn't have him on their radar. These things don't always work out perfectly.

Yes, I believe we actually had Zaitsev in camp twice if I'm not mistaken. Sustr, too, among many other guys that have become NHL players.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not going to debate cherry picked stats or play the blame AV game. I'm not bashing Nash. I'm not saying Nash is a bad player. I'm just not going to pretend Nash is comparable to the other 3 players you named at this point in time. Zooks is probably comparable to many great players in terms of 5 on 5 first assists but that does not make him a comparable player. Players are judged on their whole games not cherry picked aspects of their games.

I tend to not think of scoring goals as cherry picking, but ok

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Keith got 47 points on a 15-16 team which was not very good while not getting 1PP time half of the season and playing 19:57 a game. Shattenki50rk should play big minutes, big powerplay minutes and should be on a better team (hopefully). On the other hand, Yandle had 60% offensive zone starts, weaker quality of competition. To be honest, I am expecting 50+ from Shattenkirk.

Agreed....50 points at minimum should be expected from Shatty and likely more.

Considering he'll be THE QB on the PP and playing a ton of minutes even strength combined with our teams tremendous offensive depth, I'd think something in the range of a 14-17 goals and 37-41 type season should be in the cards for #22 and that really is not all that far fetched whatsoever.

The guy is in the prime of his career. If the over/under for Shatty is 50 points which is very reasonable even if last year was his first time in his 7 year career he ever surpassed the "magical" 50 point mark which for Dmen is like a forward hitting the 70 point mark as he garnered 56 combined points with the Blues and Caps, I'd bet a significant amount of cashish he's going to go over that 50 plus # this season.... injuries obviously withstanding.

Fantastic job by GMJG to address our major weakeness over the offeseason as we've gone from one of the bottom tier back ends in the league to now, at least on paper, to being potentially one of the top 5 back ends in the entire league.

Here's to hoping fellas "on paper" ends up being reality.....:nod:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'd be happy to re-sign Nash for 2 years at 4M.

Agreed as well as a 2 x 4m would be outstanding for us to bring him back as that would be pretty much THE perfect # considering his age and his productivity these days.

Problem is even if Nasher and his wife are both now in love with NYC and love the Ranger organization, I don't think we'll get him for that # as I'd bet a large part of my hefty mortgage his "hometown" Leafs will do whatever it takes to sign him.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went over 5m x 3...possibly even 5.25 or so to bring him back to his hometown roots as that likely would get it done!. I think we should all be prepared to say bye bye to good old Ricky boy after this season. Hopefully the hockey gods will permit Nash to not have every goalie we face this season not morph into Dominck Hasek when he shoots pucks on net vs them....lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not going to debate cherry picked stats or play the blame AV game. I'm not bashing Nash. I'm not saying Nash is a bad player. I'm just not going to pretend Nash is comparable to the other 3 players you named at this point in time. Zooks is probably comparable to many great players in terms of 5 on 5 first assists but that does not make him a comparable player. Players are judged on their whole games not cherry picked aspects of their games.

5-on-5 is anything but a cherry-picked stat. That is the majority of minutes players are on the ice

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Thanks for the info on Mike Pelino Tawnos! That makes much more sense. I heard someone mentioning Keenan and thought that was a little odd. That we are first on Pelinos speed dial seems much more natural.

Appreciated!

I wonder if there is a finders fee on these things?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Thanks for the info on Mike Pelino Tawnos! That makes much more sense. I heard someone mentioning Keenan and thought that was a little odd. That we are first on Pelinos speed dial seems much more natural.

Appreciated!

I wonder if there is a finders fee on these things?

Keenan coached him for two seasons too

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The four-way competition in training camp between Holden, ADA, Bereglazov and Pionk will be intense

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet

How? He was ****canned after like 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad