Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VI: Gorton's Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think it was Boomer on NHL radio the other day who talked about this with Nash. Does he take a major haircut in pay to re-sign in NY? He enjoys living there. He likes the team. It is a good spot for him. Rangers are a playoff bound team year in and year out. Is it worth it at this point in his career to chase another paycheck when he is already on a playoff team, has his life set up and is finishing out a mammoth contract?

imo that has always been the more likely scenario than us trading him

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
For some reason, my gut is telling me that Nash would be fine taking a sizable paycut to stay. He seems like a guy who knows that he's nearing the end of his career and won't make a ton of money on his next deal.

I would be okay taking him for another year or two, depending on how prospects develop and whatnot. $3.5M or less. And then he can sign a one-day deal in Columbus and retire a Blue Jacket, as nature intended.

I don't know. Just my gut feeling. I think he is a decent and smart enough guy to realize these things and not be greedy.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
For some reason, my gut is telling me that Nash would be fine taking a sizable paycut to stay. He seems like a guy who knows that he's nearing the end of his career and won't make a ton of money on his next deal.

I would be okay taking him for another year or two, depending on how prospects develop and whatnot. $3.5M or less. And then he can sign a one-day deal in Columbus and retire a Blue Jacket, as nature intended.

I don't know. Just my gut feeling. I think he is a decent and smart enough guy to realize these things and not be greedy.

Agreed, plus he's a great vet to have on a team full of younger guys

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hasn't he said he's retiring for a year?

Can't find anything on a google search. Then again, I think the player I researched might have been Cramarossa and not White.

Chiasson is the guy the Rangers should look to sign. Guy has been played I think too much out of the role that suits him, which means a good season may be in store in the same way that Pouliot had a good year once put in the right role. 11 even strength goals last year would have tied him with Vesey on the Rangers. He's 26 and will come cheap.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
haircut or not, do we really want rick nash lumbering around the ice for another year or 2 after this one ?

too many people here are sentimental or looking for reasons to keep him around besides minor things like oh, i dont know.... scoring ? good with the young guys ? cant we have a younger more productive guy be a good role model too ?

at 34 yrs old, i dont want rick nash taking minutes from any of our young core forwards.

its been a good run rick, see ya. :nod:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
haircut or not, do we really want rick nash lumbering around the ice for another year or 2 after this one ?

too many people here are sentimental or looking for reasons to keep him around besides minor things like oh, i dont know.... scoring ? good with the young guys ? cant we have a younger more productive guy be a good role model too ?

at 34 yrs old, i dont want rick nash taking minutes from any of our young core forwards.

Yes because a majority of rational posters realize the value he can provide to a team rather than spewing puffed up fallacies every time his name is mentioned.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Yes because a majority of rational posters realize the value he can provide to a team rather than spewing puffed up fallacies every time his name is mentioned.

hes provided enough "Value" already thank you.

:laugh:

this is a young mans game.

34 is too old for whatever hell want. 5 mil ? pass.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

So what contract are you giving him and how are we fitting him under the cap?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think that would be reasonable. He's already made a lot of money, so I think in the high 3s is realistic

Right. Especially if he wants to stick around. I could see a team throwing a Marleau contract at him, so the question is whether or not he chases that money.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If Nash is staying the most I'd give him is $3.25M.... He's a role player, not even a complimentary player at this point. Guys who are healthy for 60 games a year and only put up 35-40 points are worth no more than $4M... factor in that hes 34... yeah no

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would Nash go and play for Torts? I believe that when I see it, think he want the straight shooter like a Babcock or someone like that.

I always thought Nash would be a guy that didn't age well, but who knows, think that he looked good last season from an aging POV, but I still like to take it max 2-3 years at the time with someone like him.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Nash's next contract is $6M AAV minimum. He's not vintage Nash anymore but he's still a 60 point player if he stays healthy and doesn't have the consistency and momentum taken out form under him. He still has speed, size, and goal scoring. He's defensively responsible, PKs, a threat shorthanded, useful on the PP. Not even a complimentary player anymore? C'mon. Nash has a superior PPG than Kreider in the last few years so everyone on our team is basically not even complimentary at this point. Fold the franchise. He's been in our top 6 for the last 3 years and used on the PP. The only thing against Nash is his age and his 20 game injury in the last few years that's rendered him inconsistent and half healthy. If he's fully healthy and not playing through injuries next year and plays 75 games, he puts up 60 points with a lot of those points being goals. When he has been fully healthy, he's shown on a lot of nights that he's easily the best forward on the ice for us. Backes can get 6X6 from Boston last year. Two years later with the average mid to high end contract going up, he's going to get his 6M at 4-5 years. How many teams would die for a power forward that scores goals and defends?

Eriksson is at $6X6, Brandon Sutter at $4.375X5, Derek Dorsett at $2.65X4, Marleau at $6.25X3, Thoronton at $8M, Brouwer at $4.5MX4, Hagelin at $4X4, Soderberg at $4.75M X4, Colborne at $2.5MX2 and y'all want Nash for $3.XM? The latent Nash hate is still strong.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Unless something changes dramatically Nash will need to be released for us to keep upcoming pricey RFA's and UFA's such as Hayes, Miller, Skjei, and McDonagh.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Unless something changes dramatically Nash will need to be released for us to keep upcoming pricey RFA's and UFA's such as Hayes, Miller, Skjei, and McDonagh.

In all likelihood, yes.

But hey, a lot can change a year from now, and the situation may not call for all those extensions.

NHL is weird like that sometimes. :duuno:

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

But you have no problem signing a 44 year old Jagr for even less production.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If Nash is staying the most I'd give him is $3.25M.... He's a role player, not even a complimentary player at this point. Guys who are healthy for 60 games a year and only put up 35-40 points are worth no more than $4M... factor in that hes 34... yeah no

Ignoring what you would pay him, I think his market value is $4.5M
Using Filipula, Bonino, Hornqvist, & Anisimov as comparables.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would consult Patrick Marleau's contract before speculating on what Rick Nash will be worth next year. I don't think a one year deal for $3.25MM will cut it.

Let's see how this year goes first.

There are people in Nash's age group who have signed Marleau deals and there are people who have signed for less. I would consult with all examples before coming to a conclusion.

It's up to Nash.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nash's next contract is $6M AAV minimum. He's not vintage Nash anymore but he's still a 60 point player if he stays healthy and doesn't have the consistency and momentum taken out form under him. He still has speed, size, and goal scoring. He's defensively responsible, PKs, a threat shorthanded, useful on the PP. Not even a complimentary player anymore? C'mon. Nash has a superior PPG than Kreider in the last few years so everyone on our team is basically not even complimentary at this point. Fold the franchise. He's been in our top 6 for the last 3 years and used on the PP. The only thing against Nash is his age and his 20 game injury in the last few years that's rendered him inconsistent and half healthy. If he's fully healthy and not playing through injuries next year and plays 75 games, he puts up 60 points with a lot of those points being goals. When he has been fully healthy, he's shown on a lot of nights that he's easily the best forward on the ice for us. Backes can get 6X6 from Boston last year. Two years later with the average mid to high end contract going up, he's going to get his 6M at 4-5 years. How many teams would die for a power forward that scores goals and defends?

Eriksson is at $6X6, Brandon Sutter at $4.375X5, Derek Dorsett at $2.65X4, Marleau at $6.25X3, Thoronton at $8M, Brouwer at $4.5MX4, Hagelin at $4X4, Soderberg at $4.75M X4, Colborne at $2.5MX2 and y'all want Nash for $3.XM? The latent Nash hate is still strong.

Nash has hit the 60 point mark for us exactly once in 5 years. Three of those years (including the last two) he failed to hit even 40 points. He's not a 60 point player and anyone who thinks he's going to return to being a 60 point player at 34/35 years old is smoking too much of something-- though in moderation IMO that's not necessarily a bad thing.

He's been bad value for his contract with us. There have been injuries--not necessarily his fault but apart from 2014-15 his offensive production has been pretty disappointing and that's the main reason we went out and got him in the first place.

Would I re-sign him?--probably not. If I did he'd get limited term (no more than two years and maybe one) and depending on how he does this year no more than $3.5 and very possibly less if he had another underwhelming season as far as goal and point production. There are things he still does pretty well but I wouldn't make a major investment into an aging player who's never lived up to his hype with us.

Sometimes you have to turn the page. See Girardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad