Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VI: Gorton's Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
ODC- Further to that, I've said this a few times before, imagine if JT Miller played for another team? It would be a wet dream for us to get him right now. Young 20's. Natural center. Scored what close to 60 last season. And so forth.

Oh yeah, my hopes are that JT is practicing faceoffs a lot... his weirdo overhand technique is going to lead to a sub 40% win rate in the dots.

None of the Rangers centers use their legs like a Bergeron... that guy (who's a natural lefty) gets really low, and leverages his legs to win draws... the Rangers need to improve that.

I'm going to guess about 9 goals, and 48 points.

Double digit goals and 50+ points would be gravy.

Yeah, and he's got what scouts call a smart shot... one that generates rebounds, and tip ins. I think him paired with Kreider in front of the net will do wonders for Kreider's stats... but Chris needs to take a page out of Holmstrom's book and continue to roll with the goalies line of vision.

Goalies hate having to face the RH shot from the point with traffic in front... blocker side.. they just need to get a piece of it.. and the stick is on that side... glove side... they need to catch it.. and you can't catch what you can't see.

Big reason why RH shooting defense provide more offense from the backend.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If the Rangers carry DeAngelo and Shattenkirk, on top of substituting Shattenkirk and Smith in place of Klein and Girardi that's a much better group. A teams defense doesn't need to put up 40 points a piece to help drive offense.

Moving the puck quickly and efficiently will lead to more offensive chances. Better lateral movement at the blue line will lead to more offensive chances. On top of that, Shattenkirk and DeAngelo are better offensive options than this team has had from the blue for many years

Even more so, the fact that McDonagh will have someone to pass the ****ing puck to during offensive zone is going to be ridiculously amazing

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
ODC- Further to that, I've said this a few times before, imagine if JT Miller played for another team? It would be a wet dream for us to get him right now. Young 20's. Natural center. Scored what close to 60 last season. And so forth.

Thing is that's not the case. LOL. They'd be REALLY ****ed then as they'd lose a lot from the wings, which I'm sure you'd agree, is among the team's greatest strengths.

Miller is a natural C that hasn't played center for more than short stints in 2-3 years. Not saying he couldn't but last season, I think between Nash and Grabner, it looked like two LWs on the rush and two RWs down-ice.

If they think he can do it, great. Just seems like a lot more to focus on, so I'd be happy/expectant of more like 35-40 than 55-60. And it's not saying he's not good, of which I've been guilty in the last 4 years in other words. I just think he's got a power game on wing.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Stafford signed by the Devils... one more guy gone from the UFA market.

Really isn't much out there

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Keith got 47 points on a 15-16 team which was not very good while not getting 1PP time half of the season and playing 19:57 a game. Shattenkirk should play big minutes, big powerplay minutes and should be on a better team (hopefully). On the other hand, Yandle had 60% offensive zone starts, weaker quality of competition. To be honest, I am expecting 50+ from Shattenkirk.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Less than 45 points would be extremely disappointing given the PP time Shattenkirk will get and the fact that other defensemen on this team will lose production because of changing roles (Skjei, McDonagh)

That said, the thing I am most interested to see this year is if the Corsi people are correct in saying replacing Girardi with Shatt on McDonagh's right side completely changes the flow of play on the ice when our top unit is out at even strength.

I am almost sure it will. I think we saw it after Rangers acquired Smith and played him in top4 instead of Staal, Holden. IMO, that change was pretty big.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Puempel is probably one of my biggest wildcards.

There's decent amount of talent there, but I'm jut not sure he knows how to put it all together on a consistent basis.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
https://theathletic.com/89160/2017/...r-rick-nash-and-a-one-day-return-to-columbus/

One further note before we proceed: Rick Nash has stated many, many times — most recently over a friendly coffee Thursday — that he loves New York City, loves living in trendy Tribeca, loves taking the subway to work, and loves playing in Madison Square Garden, the world’s most famous arena.

But there’s a feeling about Nash that won’t quite go away, and many people around Nash, the Blue Jackets and the NHL can feel it, too.

There is a disclaimer in the article stating that there is nothing in the works and Nash isn't going anywhere, but there's obviously a reason they put this piece out...

Nash could very well be gone middle of this season. High end winger for a high end center prospect, perhaps

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Nash seems the most obvious choice as trade bait. End of a contract. Player will have value for a playoff contender. Rangers can add a younger center. Rangers can maybe add a first rounder in a stacked draft class.

Any Armchair GM would look to deal him. Does the Org think the same way though?

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
https://theathletic.com/89160/2017/...r-rick-nash-and-a-one-day-return-to-columbus/

There is a disclaimer in the article stating that there is nothing in the works and Nash isn't going anywhere, but there's obviously a reason they put this piece out...

Nash could very well be gone middle of this season. High end winger for a high end center prospect, perhaps

Only way I see this happening is if both a) Nash has a resurgent season and b) the Rangers are out of the hunt come the trade deadline. If he isn't playing well, he won't net a high end center prospect, and if the Rangers are competing, they aren't going to deal him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Only way I see this happening is if both a) Nash has a resurgent season and b) the Rangers are out of the hunt come the trade deadline. If he isn't playing well, he won't net a high end center prospect, and if the Rangers are competing, they aren't going to deal him.

Bingo.

And if he isn't playing well, he's not getting a super-high return as a rental.

And if the Rangers aren't playing well, he's not the only one who is going.

I just struggle to see a scenario in which Nash gets moved prior to his contract running out.

Nash is not going to be the centerpiece he was brought in to be, or maybe once was. However, if he can stay healthy and give them 25-30 goals and 45-50 points, the Rangers are going to take it. They really don't have any other choice at this point.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
yeah no way we move him if we have a strong season and were in the hunt.

hell walk for nothing before we move him in the middle of a cup chase.

if were good and he's good, he's here.

thing is, i just dont believe he's got another big season in him. his skills have declined, his speed isnt what it was and his hands/shot are really lacking. i expect him to be something like 17/23 for 40

if so, he's value is marginal and won't fetch the return that would warrant a move.

if were good and he's bad, he's here.

unfortunately, hes here for this season but this is his last here for sure.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Sounds more like they're thinking he'll sign with CBus after his contract is up, not that he'll be traded

Certainly won't trade him to a division rival...

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Assuming Shatty is healthy and plays 1st or 2nd pair minutes and is nowhere near Staal, he should easily get 50 points.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Bingo.

And if he isn't playing well, he's not getting a super-high return as a rental.

And if the Rangers aren't playing well, he's not the only one who is going.

I just struggle to see a scenario in which Nash gets moved prior to his contract running out.

Nash is not going to be the centerpiece he was brought in to be, or maybe once was. However, if he can stay healthy and give them 25-30 goals and 45-50 points, the Rangers are going to take it. They really don't have any other choice at this point.

Rick's going to show up this year.

Before the trade from CLB, there were a couple if GM's that questioned the effect of complacency and a decade of losing would treat Rick.

In hockey circles, it was well known that he's a guy that only shows up less than half the time... There was a team that wasn't on Rick's list that was willing to pony up more than what the Rangers paid, while other GM's questioned Rick's motor without a Hitchcock lighting a fire under his ass.

But... since this is a contract year... and it may be the last big payday for Rick... I'm expecting a game in and game out effort.

So to your point, Rangers will most likely self-rent the player and trade his negotiating rights.

Brady Skjei, Miller contracts will probably force the Rangers to not bring him back.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Assuming Shatty is healthy and plays 1st or 2nd pair minutes and is nowhere near Staal, he should easily get 50 points.

Agreed. Especially if he's paired with McDonagh full time and AV doesn't screw up the pairings.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
If there is ever a time to pawn off a big ticket pre-UFA, and you plan on making the playoffs, it's mid-season. Nash is a go-to guy, waiting until the deadline doesn't allow time to re-bound if it backfires, unless we count on one or two guys scoring like crazy over a sustained period (Grabner '17).

I think the dramatically more mobile D will make for a Grabner-situation... imagine Fast gets 15-20? Or Buchnevich has an early career season with 40?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
nash is 33. thats old. he's well beyond his prime and trending down

hell have a hot streak this season for sure, but his play will mostly be average for a 3rd line type or way below average for the contract he has.

this is a cap league. value is based upon production per dollar.

anyone expecting a big season from 61 is gonna be disappointed.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think it was Boomer on NHL radio the other day who talked about this with Nash. Does he take a major haircut in pay to re-sign in NY? He enjoys living there. He likes the team. It is a good spot for him. Rangers are a playoff bound team year in and year out. Is it worth it at this point in his career to chase another paycheck when he is already on a playoff team, has his life set up and is finishing out a mammoth contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad