Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVII - Holding a Lead for Dummies (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Idk he could easily just have red on his hand just bc he just played a hockey game wearing gloves. I know any time I step on the ice I could come off with a bruise or something anywhere on my body without me remembering how it happened. Could be as simple as dry skin in the winter being irritated by sweating in your gloves.
100% Hell, this knee injury that I just posted about having an appointment with the sports doctor tomorrow for; I didn’t even notice during the game. I played the rest of the game and was fine, the next morning I couldn’t walk and now they think it’s a torn MCL

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
There was no way this was going to stay quiet. If we know anything about it, GMs and the community of players are going to know more. Teams don’t want the headache, especially when the league is pushing for greater diversity and pushes towards acceptance and positivity.

The Rangers organization is taking volatility out of the locker room to try to regain some semblance of order and to protect their players. If even half of what’s been mentioned is true, and management was aware, it’s not a good look for the organization.

The NYR organization traded for TDA knowing his history. They worked with him through the various things that have gone on over the last year. There has to be a final straw.

Sure, it’s unfortunate to lose a offensive defenseman, but there’s a question of ethics here. And maybe his personal life is his personal life, but when it spills into the locker room and into violence, it’s a matter of keeping personnel safe.

They could have suspended him and loaned him to KHL or another league while looking to trade him, see Lias Andersson as an example.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Watch Devils claim him, they got the cap space and their Head coach is Ruff same guy under whom ADA had his breakout season. This is going to be horrendous for Rangers unless ADA sucks really bad for them.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's a point where there is some addition by subtraction. Just on the ice the way Tony had been playing I was kind of for benching him already. I recognize his offensive skills but his actual defensive play has been really bad and offensively he's been MIA.

Going forward---it would be nice to get a return for him. I'm kind of thinking that's been blown by now. But we don't really need him. Fox can run the power play. Nils Lundkvist is coming.....ditto Braden Schneider.

I'm doubtful another team is going to pick him up on waivers or trade for him right away. It's his shit stirring reputation, his cap hit and his iffy ability to actually defend. I'm thinking he's not going to be on taxi squad or Hartford either--he's going home to Philadelphia or wherever and just collecting his money for the rest of the year. Maybe the Seattle Kraken will take a chance on him.

Uncle Sid

Nov 30, 2007
New Jersey
DeAngelo, in my mind, was always the guy that was going to get moved. Seeing it go down this way, however, really sucks. To lose him for nothing would sting a bit and it really makes the Stepan trade seem that much worse.

I wonder what taking Tony out of the equation will do, if anything, for this team. Not saying he is the reason for all of the teams woes, but who knows what kind of effect his personality really had in the room.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tony DeAngelo is the first topic discussion on the new 31 Thoughts podcast.

Tony made a sarcastic remark to Georgiev after the play on Saturday night. Georgiev clocked Tony. The Rangers players broke up the fight. The Rangers told the Tony camp on Saturday night/early Sunday morning about going on waivers at noon on Sunday.

Nobody expects DeAngelo to play again for the Rangers. Elliotte Friedman was cautious about the other rumors about DeAngelo.

If Rangers can't trade Tony, the Rangers will send him home. 1/3 buyout is an option after this season.

There is more to this story. The truth will come out.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Tony DeAngelo is the first topic discussion on the new 31 Thoughts podcast.

Tony made a sarcastic remark to Georgiev after the play on Saturday night. Georgiev clocked Tony. The Rangers players broke up the fight. The Rangers told the Tony camp on Saturday night/early Sunday morning about going on waivers at noon on Sunday.

Nobody expects DeAngelo to play again for the Rangers. Elliotte Friedman was cautious about the other rumors about DeAngelo.

If Rangers can't trade Tony, the Rangers will send him home. 1/3 buyout is an option after this season.

There is more to this story. The truth will come out.
All I wanted for ADA this season was for him to play well enough to establish 1) last year was not a fluke 2) have him traded ASAP while his value is high
With Schneider/Lundkvist coming, it was super evident ADA was just keeping a spot warm for one of those two lads.
This has to be the worst case scenario now.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
All I wanted for ADA this season was for him to play well enough to establish 1) last year was not a fluke 2) have him traded ASAP while his value is high
With Schneider/Lundkvist coming, it was super evident ADA was just keeping a spot warm for one of those two lads.
This has to be the worst case scenario now.

Pretty much what I wanted. His days were numbered. I did not see the Rangers giving him another contract in two years. $4.8 mil per year is plenty for pretty much a one way defenseman though and with Lundkvist and Schneider (neither of whom are that far away from the NHL IMO) in the pipeline you have to make your ELC's work for you and I expect both Nils and Braden to be a lot better defensively.

Not sure Tony can get what Lias got for us now which was a late 2nd. Very good chance he doesn't get us anything really.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean, f*ck this kid if he cracked and acted like a shithead with the team.

What the actual f*ck is going on in that room?

we need a real vet in that room. Not Kreider or Troubda. Those two clearly couldn't control a room if their lives depended on it.
Yikes. Poor Laf, Kakko, Shesty & Miller. Jesus

Yeah, I am not sold on the one-size fit all approach the coach has. Even Bowman learned to acknowledge that he had to treat his players differently depending on what types they were. I get it in college hockey. Full roster turnover in 3-4 years right. A room full of kids. Clear rules, when you step through that door its our way or the highway. We won't sit down and talk to you, walk you through it, convince you to see it our way. Any misstep and you get an open sanction that everyone can see, its always the same for everyone. Etc etc etc. You won't have time to hold the hands of all kids. Probably, I get it more in that environment.

But this is pro-hockey. 31 going on 32 teams. Only 1 will win the cup. Nothing short of maximized dividend from the assets an organization can get their hands on will cut it.

Everyone went out of their way to praise how TDA handled himself off the ice last season. I think off-ice stuff got to TDA this season, I don't think he was in a good place. Its of course no excuse, but you know what, its tremendously human. Things that aren't real to 9 of 10 people will be real to 1 of 10 people. If you pick 100 people ask them all to look back 20 years, they can point at stretches were they were affected by stuff that after water under the bridge doesn't seem like a big thing. Its how we are programmed.

Tony was down. DQ went after him with a nuke for a tiny lapse. Ultimately you must have a coach that makes moves that pays off on the ice. There is no alternative scoreboard, OK we sucked on the ice but we will get another price because of whatever. In what ways are DQ's moves paying off on the ice? Our dressing room is a tremendous soap opera compared to any other room around the league. Top kids are bolting. A young top 3 player for us last season is now waived. There is more to money with Fast bolting, everyone with an in knows that (at least I do, it had nothing to do with money, he didn't like the direction the NYR took whatever that means, looked forward to a new start in Carolina). When we show up for the bubble we are easily the worst prepared team by a mile. We have 2 top 2 picks and they are definitely not looking good at all, lets be honest here. There are many posts about how we have the future in front of us, we have Kakko and Laf. Look we must be patient with them, this is a tough league for any kid and the fact that it takes time is not odd. But, things won't improve by themselves and so far things are not going well at all.

I especially don't like how little involved Kakko is. He has almost taken a step in the wrong direction this season. DQ is responsible for developing these kids, getting them into a spot to succeed. Kakko was more involved in a much more prominant role on the PP last season. Now he has taken a large step in the wrong direction, DQ keeps playing Howden more on the PP than Kakko. Strome. Soon the talk about how Kakko must realize that he won't be a scorer in the NHL will start, DQ will try to mold him into a checker. Or? Kakko scores 2 goals, and his role is just reduced.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
What is the most likely outcome here?
Is Brooks' scenario of contract termination too extreme?
I personally think, he just spends a month or so in Hartford getting 30 minutes a night and then comes back to the rangers. DQ needs him for the PP.

Nah, this is a pretty extreme step for the Rangers to take. He's not playing for the big club again, IMHO.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Terminating his contract is not too extreme, if it's in fact do-able and the multiple allegations and whatnot end up being true. His point production (both for and against) can roughly be replaced elsewhere in the lineup.

It's just a shame that no one would bite on Tony in a trade scenario, or a shame that Gorton & Co. held on for too high of a price that never surfaced.

Reactions: zephyr

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Watch Devils claim him, they got the cap space and their Head coach is Ruff same guy under whom ADA had his breakout season. This is going to be horrendous for Rangers unless ADA sucks really bad for them.

Nobody is bringing a head case into their dressingroom

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah, I am not sold on the one-size fit all approach the coach has. Even Bowman learned to acknowledge that he had to treat his players differently depending on what types they were. I get it in college hockey. Full roster turnover in 3-4 years right. A room full of kids. Clear rules, when you step through that door its our way or the highway. We won't sit down and talk to you, walk you through it, convince you to see it our way. Any misstep and you get an open sanction that everyone can see, its always the same for everyone. Etc etc etc. You won't have time to hold the hands of all kids. Probably, I get it more in that environment.

But this is pro-hockey. 31 going on 32 teams. Only 1 will win the cup. Nothing short of maximized dividend from the assets an organization can get their hands on will cut it.

Everyone went out of their way to praise how TDA handled himself off the ice last season. I think off-ice stuff got to TDA this season, I don't think he was in a good place. Its of course no excuse, but you know what, its tremendously human. Things that aren't real to 9 of 10 people will be real to 1 of 10 people. If you pick 100 people ask them all to look back 20 years, they can point at stretches were they were affected by stuff that after water under the bridge doesn't seem like a big thing. Its how we are programmed.

Tony was down. DQ went after him with a nuke for a tiny lapse. Ultimately you must have a coach that makes moves that pays off on the ice. There is no alternative scoreboard, OK we sucked on the ice but we will get another price because of whatever. In what ways are DQ's moves paying off on the ice? Our dressing room is a tremendous soap opera compared to any other room around the league. Top kids are bolting. A young top 3 player for us last season is now waived. There is more to money with Fast bolting, everyone with an in knows that (at least I do, it had nothing to do with money, he didn't like the direction the NYR took whatever that means, looked forward to a new start in Carolina). When we show up for the bubble we are easily the worst prepared team by a mile. We have 2 top 2 picks and they are definitely not looking good at all, lets be honest here. There are many posts about how we have the future in front of us, we have Kakko and Laf. Look we must be patient with them, this is a tough league for any kid and the fact that it takes time is not odd. But, things won't improve by themselves and so far things are not going well at all.

I especially don't like how little involved Kakko is. He has almost taken a step in the wrong direction this season. DQ is responsible for developing these kids, getting them into a spot to succeed. Kakko was more involved in a much more prominant role on the PP last season. Now he has taken a large step in the wrong direction, DQ keeps playing Howden more on the PP than Kakko. Strome. Soon the talk about how Kakko must realize that he won't be a scorer in the NHL will start, DQ will try to mold him into a checker. Or? Kakko scores 2 goals, and his role is just reduced.

Blaming the coach for Tony being a career asshole is pretty rich

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I honestly feel the team is better without Tony. Forget the antics, and the Philly in him, but just as an on-ice product, I think what we saw in game 2 is where this team can get to. But you are short one pair on D, and maybe 12-15 minutes up-front. Not a fan of the lack of match-ups and roles for 3 straight years, it makes me think of the product as being of an inferior quality compared to the rest of the league, but that's a step up for another day.

All in all, this is the type of move I can more than live with, and frankly I don't have a problem with it. Without getting into the weeds, Tony's got enough off of his new deal to be good for a generation with the right investments. He may not be getting into the private island money territory, but it is enough where I don't have to feel for the guy's career being a complete waste. Getting a 8% yield off of $1M is $80K/Year. Tony will be fine, and that's not considering the how you can throw up the x with higher risk investments.

As far as the locker room goes, I thought Kreider took a real step towards legitimizing the captaincy with his interview and play the other night. The team still lost the game, but my hopes are that they found themselves a bit in the process. Chris is a very intelligent guy, and it was good to hear him call a spade for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad