Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lol, I know you are just throwing ideas out, but I do find it funny that you went from talking about the value of cap space to this 2 minutes later.
It magnifies my point. Cap space = 1st rounder. That's how valuable it is.

EVEN THEN, people would value the cap space MORE THAN the 1st rounder.

In our case, we would leverage cap space that might not be used, for value; a 1st rounder. but its mostly garbage hypotheticals

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Hypothetically speaking..

If the numbers could work and we wouldn't lose any long-term talent...

Would you take on Lucic for a 1st?
Unless we can flip Lucic with that same 1st to some other team for nothing, no...

We're beyond the stage where we need to accumulate young assets & picks at the cost of a roster spot/cap space. It's time to let the kids we've drafted get experience and consolidate talent as needed.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Because Gorton doesn't have to trade him. If the offered trade doesn't help us, Gorton will just tell Tony to stay home and buy him out in the summer.
There is some question as to whether he can just tell him to "stay home". I don't think it's as easy as that.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Because Gorton doesn't have to trade him. If the offered trade doesn't help us, Gorton will just tell Tony to stay home and buy him out in the summer.

This should be stickied at the top of the page with big bold annoying red letters so people stop asking the same question.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
It magnifies my point. Cap space = 1st rounder. That's how valuable it is.

EVEN THEN, people would value the cap space MORE THAN the 1st rounder.

In our case, we would leverage cap space that might not be used, for value; a 1st rounder. but its mostly garbage hypotheticals

On one hand you are discussing a team giving us a first rounder for a guy with the cap hit. And on the other you are discussing a team giving us a first rounder to take a guy with a cap hit. Not quite the same scenario.

Ultimately, ADA won't get traded unless we get something we consider an asset. But it won't be something premium.

And trust me, I value the cap space. Which is why in no way in hell would I take Lucic with a 1st rounder attached.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Any trade for Tony probably would require Tony doing an apology or mea culpa and agreeing to do some anger management course or something. I doubt any team is going to just take him with all that baggage without some sort of hedge. And it appears Tony still thinks he’s right...maybe I’m reading this wrong?
So that’s another hurdle and negotiation to do. No wonder it’s taking time.

Reactions: Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Look at what bad bottom 6 players on big medium long term contracts are doing the Vancouver. They couldn't keep Toffoli who pushed them up against the wall with a corn dog taped to his belt buckle with 8 goals in 5 games. They had to "choose" Virtanen over Toffoli and now Virtanen who was always going to be their own gamble/reclamation hasn't worked out so far as the 12th/13th F. Even with $10M coming off buyouts and performance overages in the next 2 years, we need every cent to keep Buchnevich and our own players and not have to gamble or trade away any assets. We can't retain on Tony by more than $500K or take back any contract. This is not a play to move Tony for a similar cap hit. This is a play to offload as much of the $4.8M as possible now that Fox/KAM/Lindgren/Hajek are ready with Nils and more kids coming and Trouba finally looking decent.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Look at what bad bottom 6 players on big medium long term contracts are doing the Vancouver. They couldn't keep Toffoli who pushed them up against the wall with a corn dog taped to his belt buckle with 8 goals in 5 games. They had to "choose" Virtanen over Toffoli and now Virtanen who was always going to be their own gamble/reclamation hasn't worked out so far as the 12th/13th F. Even with $10M coming off buyouts and performance overages in the next 2 years, we need every cent to keep Buchnevich and our own players and not have to gamble or trade away any assets. We can't retain on Tony by more than $500K or take back any contract. This is not a play to move Tony for a similar cap hit. This is a play to offload as much of the $4.8M as possible now that Fox/KAM/Lindgren/Hajek are ready with Nils and more kids coming and Trouba finally looking decent.
Yep. It’s very complicated and a lot of things are going to have to fall into place before anything happens. Cap. Compensation. Optics. Gorton probably wants Drury to take over as GM *right now*. That said, if it does happen, it’s probably a late Friday news dump deal.

Reactions: Tob

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
he's all but gone.

Calgary should take ADA and run. They wont get anything close to that value as a player. He could slot in as their 3rd pair RD and help the PP immediately... If he becomes that dynamic presence he was in 2019, they will quickly forget Bennett.

I'm guessing the hold up, is the off-setting draft picks? Imagine Gorton could fenagle a 1st. I'd be thrilled with a 2nd.

My guess is:

Rangers: Bennett, Ryan, 2nd

Flames: ADA, 3rd

Rangers have two 3rd's and replace the 2nd from the Staal trade. Maybe slight retention on one side or the other to even out the cap one way or the other. I'd have to look at cap friendly for that. I know Calgary is against the cap and the Rangers aren't far off. Ryan is gone at the end of the year so Rangers essentially get Bennett and the 2nd. Three months ago, I'd have been pissed, but at this point I'll gladly take it.

Reactions: egelband

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yep. Unless Tony had some crazy language written into his contract, all the Rangers are obligated to do is pay him.
I don't believe that is true. They aren't obligated to play him. They can scratch him. They can put him on the taxi squad or in the AHL. I do not believe they can tell him to "stay home" and I believe there was a player a couple years ago who filed a grievance for something like that. I'm trying to remember who it was.

If they want to terminate his contract for breach they can try and do that.

If they want to suspend him for violation of his contract they can do that (according to the rules of the CBA).

If they want to scratch him or taxi squad him they can do that.

But if I remember the prior grievance correctly, not allowing a player to practice/train at team facilities was an issue. One of the national guys, Bobby Mac, Dreger, Friedman.. even mentioned this w/ regard to TDA. For now it's not an issue because all parties are trying to get a deal done.

But yeah, zero chance the NHLPA will sit by with that. They might lose the fight, but they'd fight, and most likely the Commish would step in for a resolution (loan to Europe or something) until the end of the year when a buyout could happen.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Lol what’s Tony gonna do, show up at MSG?

They’ve already told him to stay home, it’s really that easy

Yea, I mean as long as his paycheck keeps showing up then I'm not sure ADA has a leg to stand on. What's he going to do? Further aggravate the organization so they have ammo to potentially try to terminate his contract?

He can't force his way into the lineup. They could just as easily send him as far down as possible depending whose still playing these days with CoVid.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don't believe that is true. They aren't obligated to play him. They can scratch him. They can put him on the taxi squad or in the AHL. I do not believe they can tell him to "stay home" and I believe there was a player a couple years ago who filed a grievance for something like that. I'm trying to remember who it was.

If they want to suspend him for violation of his contract they can do that (according to the rules of the CBA).

But if I remember the prior grievance correctly, not allowing a player to practice/train at team facilities was an issue. One of the national guys, Bobby Mac, Dreger, Friedman.. even mentioned this w/ regard to TDA. For now it's not an issue because all parties are trying to get a deal done.

But yeah, zero chance the NHLPA will sit by with that. They might lose the fight, but they'd fight, and most likely the Commish would step in for a resolution (loan to Europe or something) until the end of the year when a buyout could happen.

This was my take as well. He has a contract of employment with the team. It hasn’t been terminated. He can be press boxed in definitely or sent to the taxi squad, but I do not believe he can be disallowed to practice and such. Whether that’s with taxi squad, AHL, etc. doesn’t matter, but I don’t think they can just tell him he can’t come. I imagine they want him away from the team and all aspects of the organization at this point and that will drive a little more urgency with trying to move him.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
My guess is:

Rangers: Bennett, Ryan, 2nd

Flames: ADA, 3rd

Rangers have two 3rd's and replace the 2nd from the Staal trade. Maybe slight retention on one side or the other to even out the cap one way or the other. I'd have to look at cap friendly for that. I know Calgary is against the cap and the Rangers aren't far off. Ryan is gone at the end of the year so Rangers essentially get Bennett and the 2nd. Three months ago, I'd have been pissed, but at this point I'll gladly take it.

which is why I think Calgary should take it
Tony was top 5 in D points ... Bennett a former top pick but more if a Grinder now.

I’d still be happy w Bennett given the circumstances now

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

This is fair enough. I don’t know the case law.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wait, what?

Maybe I'm getting the cart before the horse but I watched the game last night on NHL66 and there was a DeAngelo account going on how the Rangers were sure to get spanked by the Caps. Apparently there is also a suspected twitter account that has also popped up again. FWIW after the DeAngelo NHL 66 account had made a couple appearances a DeUnemployed account popped up too which I thought was cute.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

That may be true, but what's the end game? Go to the minors instead? Go ride the bus and live in a studio apartment where the organization doesn't want you? There's nothing to stop them from scratching you there either. Try to force the organizations hand and where maybe they decide to try and terminate you potentially costing you millions? I would think the smartest play is to lay low, get paid, and have your agent try to work things out with the organization to get you moved. I don't see how ADA improves his situation at all by trying to force his way into practice facilities.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
This was my take as well. He has a contract of employment with the team. It hasn’t been terminated. He can be press boxed in definitely or sent to the taxi squad, but I do not believe he can be disallowed to practice and such. Whether that’s with taxi squad, AHL, etc. doesn’t matter, but I don’t think they can just tell him he can’t come. I imagine they want him away from the team and all aspects of the organization at this point and that will drive a little more urgency with trying to move him.

So you force the Rangers hand and they buy you out.

You just potentially cost yourself millions of dollars that you may never get back.

Contractually you may have a point, but is it worth poking the bear? ADA has nearly 10 million coming to him... want to take 1/3 of that? He'll very possibly find himself on a 1 year 1 million dollar contract playing for the Sens or something.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So you force the Rangers hand and they buy you out.

You just potentially cost yourself millions of dollars that you may never get back.

Contractually you may have a point, but is it worth poking the bear? ADA has nearly 10 million coming to him... want to take 1/3 of that? He'll very possibly find himself on a 1 year 1 million dollar contract playing for the Sens or something.

You get paid when you get bought out. He’d actually be making money on top of his money. Unless I’m wrong the buyout cap hit is a penalty for buying the player out. They still get their contracted sum.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad