Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
You gotta know your audience and have some emotional intelligence and your rep and how it impacts your interactions. The guy DOES have a lot of baggage going back to his days in juniors. This isn't my opinion but to steal a line from Larry, it is a fact. He has a shorter leash than others. Igor probably said some not so nice words to the ref after the goalie interference shenanigans that were worse than DeAngelo but he doesn't have the baggage and rep.

DeAngelo is a guy with low emotional intelligence. Here's an example: I've mentioned before I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I often quote lines from various series but it's not going to make sense or fly here or in my Zoom meetings. So I can either stop doing it, or realize my audience and chill. And my team doesn't know the difference between the Enterprise-A or Enterprise-D and doesn't care that Spock was Captain in that universe for X years between movies but that's my jam on my own time on different forums if I choose to do it.

DeAngelo's outspokenness and his history are going to cost him millions of dollars and to be an angry version of Marc-Andre Bergeron who was a second tier offensive DMan that moved around a lot.

Believe what you want to believe but don't let it simmer on the ice and have tantrums when you're a marked man. Dude is a very talented hockey player and an eligible bachelor. Worry about using your talent to win hockey games and become a legend in NY. You're a millionaire Tony, have some fun and meet some beautiful women too.

It's not too late but all signs are pointing to him being shipped out at the trade deadline.

Low emotional intelligence and Star Trek...Got it! :skeptic:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If the end game is to move him for value, stop acting like he’s radioactive.

Again, it seems everything Quinn does is an amateurish attempt to highlight his negatives while minimizing his substantial positives.

note. He’s NOT a Norris type 2 way defender we get it.

but he isn’t Marc staal either.

Reactions: pld459666

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If the end game is to move him for value, stop acting like he’s radioactive.

Again, it seems everything Quinn does is an amateurish attempt to highlight his negatives while minimizing his substantial positives.

His value isnt near what it was last season, there are a lot of teams that won't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
and ive never seen a fanbase who wanted to get rid of a 60pt dman so quickly while constantly whining that we never have a good offensive dman

Here here!

The guy is also a sparkplug. Can't coach that fire. Either you have that competitive edge or you don't. Take him out, and the team becomes one step closer to the vanilla sandwich!

Last edited:
Reactions: cheech70

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
ADA wasn’t made an example, at least it wasn’t the prime motivation IMO. He is benched because of ADA’s own specific issues.

Edit: and stepping back is right. At this point decisions are / will be made with the whole season long picture in mind

and what issue is that with ADA? Being an outspoken conservative? Which from all accounts has no issues within the locker room and well liked?

his tweeting is a made up issue from the cancel culture club.

quinn has no vision for the future. If he did JJ wouldnt be kn the top pair, KK wouldnt constantly be demoted and Gauthier wouldnt be demoted.

Quinn, who i still wanted as coach before the year, is running this team like an idiot. If i were gorts i would give him 10 games to get his crap together with how to grow these young players. Bc he sure as hell isnt doing that right now.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’ve never seen a 60+ Pt d man have as little league wide value as ADA. We need to position this move as an Irish Promotion so that his value doesn’t continue to trend down
I can’t comment on his value league wide but it’s reminds me a lot of Gostisbehere and the convos surrounding him a few years back

Hopefully for us Tony doesn’t fall off a cliff like Ghost has

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
and what issue is that with ADA? Being an outspoken conservative? Which from all accounts has no issues within the locker room and well liked?

his tweeting is a made up issue from the cancel culture club.

quinn has no vision for the future. If he did JJ wouldnt be kn the top pair, KK wouldnt constantly be demoted and Gauthier wouldnt be demoted.

Quinn, who i still wanted as coach before the year, is running this team like an idiot. If i were gorts i would give him 10 games to get his crap together with how to grow these young players. Bc he sure as hell isnt doing that right now.

Huh? Looks like you read what you want to read. Trust me when I say I have absolutely no problem with ADA’s Twitter and it wasn’t what I was referring to.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
please explain this loss in value

after 1 game

Its his off ice distraction plus his obvious inability to learn from his mistakes that have made his trade value plummet. Him getting schooled by Aho or most recently Barzal isnt something that is a rarity, its common place for him. He's running out of teams that will put up with that package.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Singling out a guy for taking an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the third period down 4-0 is a cop out. I know Tony is emotional but that’s part of what makes him a useful player. How about focusing on what got the game 4-0 in the first place. But I guess that would force the coach to look in the mirror.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Our supposed calm and level headed coach throws things into a blender when they don’t work immediately

Gauthier was one of our best players Thursday imo

This I absolutely agree. PDG didn’t show anything to be ahead of Gauthier or vice versa.

I think at times Quinn gets more bashing then he deserves, but the constant line up decisions baffle me. I mean the third line on Thursday wasn’t great but it definitely wasn’t terrible. I would have left the lines the same for a couple of games

Reactions: kovazub94

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Singling out a guy for taking an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the third period down 4-0 is a cop out. I know Tony is emotional but that’s part of what makes him a useful player. How about focusing on what got the game 4-0 in the first place. But I guess that would force the coach to look in the mirror.
Exactly. How about sitting Keandre OR Jack Johnson? Ada deserves criticism but I wish Quinn showed the same emotion towards the refs, at least to spark the team.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Can't wait until they move Tony. Hope they can get some value for him. I'm really tired of the over the top love and hate every day here. Yes he's a 60 pt guy last year. On the other hand he sucks on D. Give me the Fox type guy any time. Then again there's the over reaction to everything he does and says. I don't really care if it doesn't affect the team.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Quinn's grabbing at straws---he was most likely as shocked as we were when the team came out looking like the team that played in the bubble.

Now nervous the first issue is find someone or some reason for this--ADA bad attitude shaming the door he's the issue--come on...

Goat played very well but he gets moved down because Quinn needs another reason other then ADA---so shake up the lines--one of Quinn's personal favorites.

I'm not killing Quinn as some as he coached well the past 2 years but I see and I'm sure many others something is missing with him firing up the team--it gets worst after long lay-offs.

Don't bench ADA bench Johnson he played like crap at a minus 3 setting a bad tone for the team.

Tonight's big if the team comes out flat again Quinn maybe in trouble real fast.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
What exactly is muh passion muh fire worth if all you do is put your team down another 2 minutes (with penalty #7!!!!!! of the night) and then don't do anything tangible with it? No hit, no chirping, no big plays. Just slam the door and bitch like a f***ing baby. That's not inspiring. It's pathetic.

The overreaction to DeAngelo is insane. DQ only fed the haters with the stupidity of singling out DeAngelo when the whole team was garbage. Now the haters are jumping at the opportunity to bury him. Society is pathetic right now.
DeAngelo is a f***ing moron and his on ice behavior gets him into trouble a lot. It's a legit problem. He needs to stop it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’m not saying this in defense of Quinn, cause I’m really not a fan but we have no f***ing idea why he’s demoting Tony. Everyone’s speculating the penalty. But we have no idea.

I have plenty of gripes with Quinn about lineups and if he’s only benching him for his play alone, then it’s dumb. But we really don’t know.

Reactions: Smart Alek

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m not saying this in defense of Quinn, cause I’m really not a fan but we have no f***ing idea why he’s demoting Tony. Everyone’s speculating the penalty. But we have no idea.

I have plenty of gripes with Quinn about lineups and if he’s only benching him for his play alone, then it’s dumb. But we really don’t know.

"Tony just took an undisciplined penalty," Quinn said. "He and I have had a conversation. We've just going to make sure that that doesn't happen. We took too many penalties last night; we took too many penalties last year. We've got to nip it in the bud right now."

Straight from the horses mouth.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What exactly is muh passion muh fire worth if all you do is put your team down another 2 minutes (with penalty #7!!!!!! of the night) and then don't do anything tangible with it? No hit, no chirping, no big plays. Just slam the door and bitch like a f***ing baby. That's not inspiring. It's pathetic.

DeAngelo is a f***ing moron and his on ice behavior gets him into trouble a lot. It's a legit problem. He needs to stop it.

Key: “on ice”. Seems both sides of ADA argument are now missing it. Has nothing to do with his off-ice persona or Quinn’s favoritisms.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
https://nypost.com/2021/01/16/tony-deangelo-alexis-lafreniere-in-middle-of-rangers-shakeup/

"DeAngelo was temporarily demoted — he cannot officially be assigned to the taxi squad without clearing waivers, which might be a 50-50 proposition at this point given the off-ice baggage he’s toting — because of bad behavior, not because he was one of a cast of thousands to play badly."

So this is an interesting paragraph (I feel like Batman in the Batcave analyzing this). What does it really mean and why should it be posted here?

Because it's management leaking this to Larry as a subtle message to the DeAngelo camp. Are they actually going to waive him? No he's a valuable asset.

However he's clearly not in good graces of management and the coaching staff and he will be shopped as soon as this April for lefty help or a number two center.

I expect him and Hajek as part of a package soon.

whoa, everybody have a bowl of sugar and calm down. Nobody played well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad