Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Every time we get the casual fans back they find a way to lose them again. It’s honestly a joke that the NBA and NFL is going on and the NHL is dragging their feet.

Not necessarily true. That's a saying people repeat, but the fact of the matter is that the NHL's value has grown game multiple folds over, and did so with a straight line trajectory with lockout bumps. I do think the world has changed considerably in how they will leverage infrastructure going forward. The NHL will never compete with the NFL in terms of viewership, but when you're a multibillion dollar industry unto yourself and the dollars have steadily gone up, you're doing something right. And we know about those real estate deals don't we now?

I do think that there is significantly more dollars to be made, and the league is lacking a bit when it comes to new monetization streams. Innovation moving at the pace of large industry might as be called a welfare state imo. Like there shouldn't be content gaps. A guy in his basement is crushing a couple of national institutions from his basement (straight kudos son). You see some signs, but it's not enough... and guess what you have precedents in the BAM model, and other leagues who have capitalized on platforms with a greater globalized reach. Emulating ESPN isn't going to work. Sportsnet made their changes, I think a lot of their talent is great when they can free form and just have a chat. TSN is smartening up their content.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
my point is that you are trying to make a false narrative about how the rangers put the A on zibanejad and kreider who were alternate captains but didn't put one on trouba who was NOT is a sign that he's gonna be the captain. the fact that he was the guy that filled in when others were hurt, means he is likely the next in line to be named alternate captain but he was never an alternate captain

Yes he was an alternate captain.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The problem the NHL has is they have a hard time turning casual fans into true fans outside of Canada. My suggestion would be a play in or an expanded playoffs to create more buzz in cities that rarely have many playoff appearances for starters.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Every time we get the casual fans back they find a way to lose them again. It’s honestly a joke that the NBA and NFL is going on and the NHL is dragging their feet.
The NHL has hitched their wagon to the wrong horses for decades. They let Jeremy Jacob's kill momentum and positivity in the name marginal profits. They let Gary Bettman rapidly expand for $20-$45m per in expansion fees. This single handedly drove salaries through the roof when dime a dozen centers and d men were desperately in need to fill hundreds of new roster spots. They let the small market teams drive the car. Lockout after lockout to fracture the union and hamstring the big market teams. Its a watered down product that is finally on the cusp of righting all of those old wrongs, realizing the goals they identified 25 years ago.

The league finally has enough skill and talent to keep 32 teams aloft. They have big market teams carrying the weight, and capped out. They are hemorrhaging talent to inept drafters, keeping cheap owners afraid of investment in the game. The TV deal they always wanted is sitting there. They finally settled a contract without disruption. All they have to do is play one more season. $650 million from Seattle, going to the owners alone. A big TV deal. Just ignore the handful of small market owners that would rather risk all of that to shave percentage points off of player salaries. They are holding the other 24 owners hostage and all of the players. Give in, or we all lose massively.

This is so on brand for the NHL. Fumble in the 1 yard line. Stitch together a 50 game season and you secure hundreds of millions of dollars per team. Or cut of your nose to spite your face. Its typical.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I imagine it must seem that way if you don't understand the economics involved, or any of the other issues.
I understand the economics of the NFL because that is where my profession is.

a lot of higher ups in the NFL think the NHL is b teir when it comes to sports entertainment.

You are making that statement off of what you the public knows. But behind close doors the NHL is nothing compared to the NFL. And it’s the sad truth.

I don’t think the NHL will ever be anywhere close to what the NFL is. Best sport worst league

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
NHL had no problem attracting fans after the 1980 Miracle on Ice or when the Rangers won the Cup in 1994. Marketing, marketing, marketing.

They also are terrible promoting their players on a national level outside of Crosby, Ovechkin, and maybe McDavid. A terrible David Pastirnak Dunkin Donuts and that awful should never be seen again Ryan Whitney-Paul Bissonette vodka commercial are not the answer to marketing.

Don't discount diversity. Scott Gomez who is a very funny guy (and has some adult humor check out his wacky IG) was a star for about a decade the league never took advantage of. Jarome Iginla should have been promoted more. This next generation: Austin Matthews being part Latino, Quinton Byfield, Nick Suzuki, etc. If K'Andre Miller reaches his full potential he has the 'It Factor" and should be on billboards along with LaFreniere everywhere and anywhere.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I imagine it must seem that way if you don't understand the economics involved, or any of the other issues.

He’s right. the NHL is terribly marketed. NBC has managed to prop up the English Premier League to a point where prime games do better numbers than the NHL.

Locking this year out or dragging this out long may provide smaller short term losses for owners but it’s terrible long term. Which has always been the issue. Maybe they’ll bring back the Versus network to save them.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I understand the economics of the NFL because that is where my profession is.

a lot of higher ups in the NFL think the NHL is b teir when it comes to sports entertainment.

You are making that statement off of what you the public knows. But behind close doors the NHL is nothing compared to the NFL. And it’s the sad truth.

I don’t think the NHL will ever be anywhere close to what the NFL is. Best sport worst league

I'm not suggesting it is or will be. That's the point. You're the one who compared the NHL to the NBA and the NFL without actually considering the challenges that the NHL faces.

The NFL didn't have to deal with having 7 teams in Canada. The NFL has huge TV contracts that can support the league without fans. The NFL has large, outdoor stadiums where a reduced number of fans can be socially distanced with much less risk. The NBA is indoors, but they have better TV contracts as well. Hockey isn't as popular in the US as football and basketball. That's just the reality of the situation.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
The NHL is similar to EA Sports. Loyal fans that have no alternative in the face of stagnant product and rising costs. They are trying to get blood from rocks and it will blow up in their faces. I live in NC and games are too expensive. Going to MSG for a game would probably make me vomit up my intestines.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
The NHL is similar to EA Sports. Loyal fans that have no alternative in the face of stagnant product and rising costs. They are trying to get blood from rocks and it will blow up in their faces. I live in NC and games are too expensive. Going to MSG for a game would probably make me vomit up my intestines.

As a cord cutter living in NY, it's still impossible for me to watch Rangers games (legally) without subscribing to cable or some bundle of packages that I wont watch.

That about sums up the NHL's ability to market this game.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
As a cord cutter living in NY, it's still impossible for me to watch Rangers games (legally) without subscribing to cable or some bundle of packages that I wont watch.

That about sums up the NHL's ability to market this game.

That is also the case for the MLB and NBA is it not?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
That is also the case for the MLB and NBA is it not?

NFL hasn't had blackouts since 2015.
NBA has blackouts...but games are available immediately after the game is finished...not after 48hours like the NHL.
MLB has blackouts...but games are available 90 minutes after the game is finished...not after 48hours like the NHL.

Deleted member 23124

The problem the NHL has is they have a hard time turning casual fans into true fans outside of Canada. My suggestion would be a play in or an expanded playoffs to create more buzz in cities that rarely have many playoff appearances for starters.
This does nothing for the lack of interest during the regular season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
NFL hasn't had blackouts since 2015.
NBA has blackouts...but games are available immediately after the game is finished...not after 48hours like the NHL.
MLB has blackouts...but games are available 90 minutes after the game is finished...not after 48hours like the NHL.

NFL games are on local television which is why I did not mention the NFL.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This does nothing for the lack of interest during the regular season.

It takes time, you need people to wanna be there, playoffs is the best way to create that atmosphere and you hope it carries into the following season as something they are interested in. Nobody wants to support a team who never or rarely makes the playoffs outside of a hockey market.

Deleted member 23124

It takes time, you need people to wanna be there, playoffs is the best way to create that atmosphere and you hope it carries into the following season as something they are interested in. Nobody wants to support a team who never or rarely makes the playoffs outside of a hockey market.
That's been their strategy for years....still has not converted the "casual" fan. A lot of cities have problems even if they make the playoffs.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's been their strategy for years....still has not converted the "casual" fan. A lot of cities have problems even if they make the playoffs.

IMO one of the issues that's easy to fix is to have 1 platform available for fans around the world where they can watch more than just old games.

EZ1POp1WoAMlgbY

NFL has Gamepass, which offers 20+ different documentaries. From "A Football Life" to "America's Game", there's so much to watch about the history of the league, former greats of the game. When I first started watching football, I consumed all that like crazy. I knew who Joe Montana was, and Mike Singletary, Vince Lombardi, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders and so many more, all from watching. As a new fan, that really got me into the game.

NHL has something called NHL.TV, but all it has is old games. Re-watching old games alone isn't going to draw in new crowds. The game needs to be accessible to a larger audience if you are going to grow your game. I have thought about this several times and it's so easy to come up with concepts. Even individual teams are doing it. The Sabres had an episode about Mogilny defecting from the USSR a few years ago for instance. MSg had the MSG Beginnings episodes a few years ago. The possiblities are endless and it's not as if it hasn't been done before, it just needs to be streamlined and centralaized

Some examples they could go with:
  • A hockey life: Episodes on the life of players. Start with Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux etc
  • In the rafters: Episodes about players who had their number retired
  • Defunct: Episodes on defunct NHL teams
  • Escape: Episodes on players who defected from RUS, CZE etc
  • A day with the Cup: Follow the players as they have their day with the Stanley Cup For club and country: Episodes about the Olympics, WJC, WC, WCH
  • Draft day: No explanation needed
  • Rulebook: Focus on rules that changed over the years. Trapezoid etc
  • NHL Rivalries: Bruins vs Canadiens, Rangers vs Devils, Flames vs Jets. Dive into what fuels these rivalries
  • Inside the arena: 32 arenas in the NHL. Go into the locker rooms, press box
  • Coach's challenge: Episodes around coaches and their path to the NHL
  • A numbers game: Ask players the story behind their jersey number
  • For the record: Each episode can focus on a record that has been in the books for decades
  • In the system: Focus on minor league affiliates

I doubt they will do this any time soon. It takes a while to get this type of content up and running but honestly, the NHL isn't even trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad