Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It is more of a risk than trading for an established 2c but my vote is to try to make a deal with Vegas for glass or krebs over any of the other options mentioned. Gives you cheap 2/3 c options with chytil and both are potential 1c. Perfect world glass/krebs becomes a 1c down the road when Mika is starting to decline and they flip

It might not be better for this year but that sounds a heck of a lot better than trading for a 2c that might be a 3c later if chytil develops.

Reactions: mas0764

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is correct. To the best of my knowledge we're not looking at a deal coming down in the next 15 minutes.

I would say whether it's Calgary, Vegas or some other team, and whether it's two days from now or a year from now, you're probably getting a player who isn't going to be universally accepted as the better player in the deal by Rangers fans.

You might get offense, but have concerns about overall play and consistency, or you might get less offense and more consistency, or you might get a guy whom the Rangers feel meshes with the team rather than serves as a line-driving player, you may get someone who could be a line driver but comes with an injury history or other question marks.

The point being that it's going to be very hard to find the unicorn - AKA a 21-23 year old center who is already playing on the second line, at a really good price, with first line upside, and no red flags.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love another Gomez for McD or Brassard for Zibanejad trade --- we're about due for one. But those are hard to find. And even then, because things turned out so well, we almost tend to overlook that those deals came with their share of question marks as well. They've just been lost to time.

I've been kinda against trading DeAngelo unless they get a real good return but it does seem obvious they prefer Fox over him and are in on Lundkvist being waiting in the wings, plus have a desire to upgrade other areas of the lineup

I guess I'd hope that even if we're not getting the unicorn in return, that a deal for someone like a C or a LD isn't a situation where the Rangers have to be the ones adding pieces because of an overall low opinion on DeAngelo

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
That's a tough swing for ADA and not one that I think is likely to come around.

Obviously you can point to a guy like Zibanejad, but that's probably the exception and there were a lot of people who didn't see him as a first line center. Hell, a lot of people weren't even sure he was center until about a year ago.
I think ADAs worth now is a good deal greater than Brassard’s when he got us Zib. But I’m not relying on that as precedent.

A 24-year-old PPQB in top five D scoring league-wide, just coming off an ELC *should* be worth a young 2C with upside. Both are valuable positional commodities. That would be an even swap.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
So, somebody reported today on the Athletic that Eichel could be had right now for Eichel and a sweetener. Is there anything to it? Did anybody else happen to see it?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
It is more of a risk than trading for an established 2c but my vote is to try to make a deal with Vegas for glass or krebs over any of the other options mentioned. Gives you cheap 2/3 c options with chytil and both are potential 1c. Perfect world glass/krebs becomes a 1c down the road when Mika is starting to decline and they flip

It might not be better for this year but that sounds a heck of a lot better than trading for a 2c that might be a 3c later if chytil develops.

Are Glass/ Krebs on the table?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So, somebody reported today on the Athletic that Eichel could be had right now for Eichel and a sweetener. Is there anything to it? Did anybody else happen to see it?

you mean laf and a sweetener.
I think the problem is in that scenario you're giving up Laf.

Reactions: RiffyNYR61

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Eichel is not getting traded until next off-season at the earliest, and the Rangers aren't trading Laf for someone who is on a 10 million doll dear right now.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I think you might want to start bracing yourself now.
I've been preparing for most of this year. Putting aside definitions or labels like 3rd pair, the writing has been on the wall. Deangelo is the odd man out.

Trouba is staying, and it's a guarentee in 2 weeks. Fox is malpractice to move. They want to bring in Lundkvist at some point. Tony is in line for $5m+ and no more than 20 minutes a night. There are massive holes in the lineup. It's a cap league. Do I have to go on?

Not saying it won't hurt. But this wasn't going to last much longer.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It was Duhatschek. Pretty clear he's spitballing.

Duhatschek notebook: A look at the defenceman market, Jack Eichel's best fit

:At this time of year, I always like to make a distinction between trades that could happen and trades that should happen. Publicly, the Buffalo Sabres have made it pretty clear that, at the moment, they are not interested in trading Jack Eichel to the New York Rangers, even though that’s a delicious scenario to ponder. If the Rangers offered the first overall pick and the chance to draft Alexis Lafreniere and threw in a sweetener, could that contribute to an organizational change of heart? Maybe it should."

Reactions: Anthony5967

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
re: Monahan being carried by Gaudreau:

Sean Monahan, C
Calgary Flames
2017-20 | 5v5

With
TOI With
TOI Away
CF% With
Monahan CF% Without
CF% Without Monahan
GF% With
Monahan GF% Without
GF% Without Monahan
Johnny Gaudreau​
2817:22​
310:12​
53.54​
46.30​
50.00​
55.31​
46.34​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Stay the f*** away from this guy.

Curious what Strome's numbers are away from Panarin.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah he's saying he thinks the Rangers should trade for Eichel at some point and maybe the #1 overall could be a starting point for it
much about nothing really

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think ADAs worth now is a good deal greater than Brassard’s when he got us Zib. But I’m not relying on that as precedent.

A 24-year-old PPQB in top five D scoring league-wide, just coming off an ELC *should* be worth a young 2C with upside. Both are valuable positional commodities. That would be an even swap.

You might be able to get the 2C with some upside, but like ADA, he's probably going to have some flaws as well --- he benefits from linemates, or he has not put it all together yet, or his floor is higher and his ceiling is lower, or he's more boom or bust, or he cleans up on the powerplay, or someone doesn't like his advanced stats.

Point being, he could be a good player --- but I think there's a high proability he still generates unease.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
This is correct. To the best of my knowledge we're not looking at a deal coming down in the next 15 minutes.

I would say whether it's Calgary, Vegas or some other team, and whether it's two days from now or a year from now, you're probably getting a player who isn't going to be universally accepted as the better player in the deal by Rangers fans.

You might get offense, but have concerns about overall play and consistency, or you might get less offense and more consistency, or you might get a guy whom the Rangers feel meshes with the team rather than serves as a line-driving player, you may get someone who could be a line driver but comes with an injury history or other question marks.

The point being that it's going to be very hard to find the unicorn - AKA a 21-23 year old center who is already playing on the second line, at a really good price, with first line upside, and no red flags.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love another Gomez for McD or Brassard for Zibanejad trade --- we're about due for one. But those are hard to find. And even then, because things turned out so well, we almost tend to overlook that those deals came with their share of question marks as well. They've just been lost to time.

I respect the perspective you are trying to lay down for fans with this one. What you said about TDA not holding as much value in GMs mind, even NYR, as much as what fans perceive really hit a mark.

I will say this though. I personally hold DeAngelo in higher regard than say Barrie, Shattenkirk, or even Hamilton. DeAngelo is a stud with just below average defensive worts. He drives the play from zone to zone and manages to find loose pucks down low accordingly. It bothers me enough that he is more in the mold of a younger Yandle with muscle and grit, or a poor Brent Burns and we could miss out on a golden player who is on the cusp of showing us what exactly he will be the next 5 or 6 years.

I don't see him as a complementary offensive feeder. He is too assertive for that and showed a few times he can make plays in traffic and turn what looks like a zone reversal into an odd-man rush in our favor then set himself up in the process to nail a rebound.

I'll puke if a Monahan level player is the return.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I know you're right. I'm preemptively upset and irrational as such.
That is where I am too, Rangers are likely dealing a player who would be best kept even short term because his trade value does not equate to what he does for the Rangers. Yet I am not just arriving at that conclusion, the Rangers never liked ADA, no matter what he did on ice he was a goner.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hopefully Tony’s new contract won’t be our problem

If it goes all the way through arbitration it's either a one or two year contract and I think the Rangers might be fine with that. Another option is to work out another deal longer term (though I don't think that is what's going to happen). I think the Rangers will either go with the 1-2 years or they'll trade Tony. For now they're dotting their i's and crossing their t's. They have to make a qualifying offer to have some control over what finally happens.

Reactions: bobbop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad