Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I get that but. I’m not handing him a fat contract when his replacement is 1 year away.

you don’t hold on to every single asset. You have to give to get. And most importantly be realistic about the players value.

hf is far from realistic with ADA value
I get that and respect that. But if we didn't have Trouba, Fox, and Lundkvist in the prospect pool, would we even be having a conversation about trading him? Trouba isn't going anywhere, Fox, while not as good offensively is significantly better defensively, and Lundkvist looks like he can be a really good offensive defenseman in his own right at a much cheaper price for a good amount of time.

Maybe teams emphasize his defensive deficiencies more than we do, which would unquestionably impact his value, but you cannot argue he is blossoming as one of the best offensive defensemen in the game, and that has to amount for something.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
- Rubs forehead-

It becomes really difficult to disentangle people who think trading ADA is the right move because of who he is as a player/fit/trade chip and those who want to trade him because of who he is as a person.

I heard fewer complaints about Dany Heatley who quite literally killed a guy than ADA for supporting the wrong candidate.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You can say ADA has defensive flaws but he’s an offensive stud. You can fix up that defense easier than you can find the amount of offense he generates from the blueline.

I think Tony at this point in his career is what Tony is--a top notched offensive defenseman whose defending is average at best--maybe a little below. But part of this is also the logjam at RD that is coming very soon. The Rangers are not moving on from Trouba--again he is the matchup guy and the main penalty killing RD and three smallish puck moving defensemen are not going to cut it. The Rangers also (and I agree) like Fox more than Tony and he is a better all situations defenseman with an excellent offensive knack.....and Lundkvist is the real deal. I'd rank him over Miller and I'd easily rank him over Kravtsov and his ELC will help us find a pathway through the three upcoming years of flat cap. Tony's earned a big contract but we're better off going with the cheaper player and Lundkvist is more like Fox in that he's good both defensively and offensively.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That is where I am too, Rangers are likely dealing a player who would be best kept even short term because his trade value does not equate to what he does for the Rangers. Yet I am not just arriving at that conclusion, the Rangers never liked ADA, no matter what he did on ice he was a goner.

I think ultimately the Rangers don't want to commit to him long term for a variety of reasons. They like him but they're not sold on him as a big piece of the lineup for years to come. I think they look at Fox as that guy.

So when you're at that point the question is when do you use this player to fill holes in other parts of your lineup

Fox doesn't have the same ceiling offensively, I don't think.

maybe but again I think people are ignoring the fact that Fox was on pace for 50 points as a rookie without much time on the first power play and he did it with better overall defense than DeAngelo and at an age where DeAngelo was still in the AHL

that's pretty damn remarkable.

I think Fox has just as much offensive upside but I think the way he does it is different than DeAngelo

I like Tda but he really doesn't have a spot with this team long term unless we finagle our way outta Trouba. It makes sense to get rid of him.

Even then it'd make for a weird lineup on the right.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Somehow people manage to kill ever ounce of fun about speculating about trades. Happens every time. Starts out fun then you just want it to stop lol

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think ultimately the Rangers don't want to commit to him long term for a variety of reasons. They like him but they're not sold on him as a big piece of the lineup for years to come. I think they look at Fox as that guy.

So when you're at that point the question is when do you use this player to fill holes in other parts of your lineup

maybe but again I think people are ignoring the fact that Fox was on pace for 50 points as a rookie without much time on the first power play and he did it with better overall defense than DeAngelo and at an age where DeAngelo was still in the AHL

that's pretty damn remarkable.

I think Fox has just as much offensive upside but I think the way he does it is different than DeAngelo

Even then it'd make for a weird lineup on the right.

Yeah Fox is somewhat younger than Tony and going by his first year is a quicker study than Tony. It's like Adam's already got the league figured out and how he can apply his game to it. The big wonder going in was whether the defensive part of his game would hold up not whether he had the offensive skills and as the season progressed Adam got better and better at defending. It's taken Tony a few years to get to where he is and Adam's defense is better than Tony's already.

The one caveat going forward into next year is I don't know if Adam is going to be quite as effective as Tony was the past year on the power play. I think the point position on the power play might be quite as good---though a lot depends on who you have to work with--and Kreider screening goalies and Panarin's puck distribution and finishing ability and Zibanejad's slap shot are still going to be there and Fox is really good offensively even if he's not quite where Tony is--or there yet. But if Monahan is coming the other way that probably means we're going to have an even better 2nd unit powerplay.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Somehow people manage to kill ever ounce of fun about speculating about trades. Happens every time. Starts out fun then you just want it to stop lol

It's not fun for me, one year deals are exciting to me. No fuss no muss, keep the options and cap space open.

Next trade deadline and off-season have all the fun anyone wants, at that point it would be difficult for the Rangers to mess up short of putting Sather back in charge of self renting and signing UFAs.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The one caveat going forward into next year is I don't know if Adam is going to be quite as effective as Tony was the past year on the power play. I think the point position on the power play might be quite as good---though a lot depends on who you have to work with--and Kreider screening goalies and Panarin's puck distribution and finishing ability and Zibanejad's slap shot are still going to be there and Fox is really good offensively even if he's not quite where Tony is--or there yet. But if Monahan is coming the other way that probably means we're going to have an even better 2nd unit powerplay.

I mean, if I recall Fox ran an absolutely excellent power play in college. He didn't get as much of a chance here and I think a few games while DeAngelo was out isn't quite enough to judge him on, so I'm kind of in wait in see on that as well.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Fox doesn't have the same ceiling offensively, I don't think.

Fox just put up 42 points in 70 games as a 21 year old rookie. At the same age, ADA had 8 points in 32 games.

Fox is the more complete player. Even if he never puts up as many points as ADA, he has already surpassed him on the depth chart. ADA isn't going to move to the left side, and the Rangers aren't going to keep all of Trouba, Fox and ADA on the right side. The writing in on the wall. It's just a matter of when and for what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad