Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Regarding the idea of trading for McDonagh from the previous thread:

Perhaps if the Rangers were a few years into their window already and wanted to pull all of their levers and push all of their chips in for a solid defenseman then OK, there could be a discussion there. But as it currently stands, if the Rangers go after McDonagh now, it would be pulling a lever a few years too early. It wouldn't really align with their window.

The goal should be trying to correspond as many players' age-ranges together to hit a balanced chemistry. They have an opportunity now to really start fresh and maximize their team roster to hit a healthy admixture of young players, young vets and some bonafide vets, while everyone is pretty much healthy. McDonagh now veers off that goal. In a few years from now, is McDonagh even healthy enough to play a full season? How reliable will he be to eat playoff minutes night in and night out? And on top of that, we're trading assets to acquire him when he marries us to a painful cap hit?

Reactions: kovazub94

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Forget McDonagh. I’m not 100% in favor of doing it, but a Tampa fan just posted their needs in return for Sergachev as follows: RD prospect + young forward. Hmm...

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Forget McDonagh. I’m not 100% in favor of doing it, but a Tampa fan just posted their needs in return for Sergachev as follows: RD prospect + young forward. Hmm...
Yeah Tony fits their needs like a glove, it’s a shame he was an asshole while there and they hate him

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
if Tampa is willing to retain some salary on Tyler Johnson I would be interested. Would be an upgrade on Strome imo, his point totals haven't been great past few seasons but on a new team I think he puts more points.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
if Tampa is willing to retain some salary on Tyler Johnson I would be interested. Would be an upgrade on Strome imo, his point totals haven't been great past few seasons but on a new team I think he puts more points.
Tyler Johnson is a slight upgrade from Strome while at the same time being older with his play trending downward. He isnt a key cog there anymore. Gourde has surpassed him on the depth chart. Cirelli is obviously ahead of him. And then there is Point and Stamkos. Johnson is not the same promising player he was back in 2015.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Can Hedman come with McD as well? I'll admit, I have found myself wistful for McD seeing him win the whole thing and play a huge part, and maybe if we were a bit further along a couple of years, I might be even more wistful. But that ship has sailed.

But speaking of former Rangers, would anyone entertain Stepan back when he is a UFA on a cheap deal as a 3/4 C?

Reactions: RGY

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No deals with Tampa please. Just because people are available doesn’t mean the Rangers should get them

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
If Stepan was better at face-offs, I wouldn't mind him coming back here as #3/4c, in a few years, but he'd have to be paid like that.

But there will probably be better options.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
To be fair pretty much everyone on that list would fill a need here. Whether its 3C, 4th line, PK, LD.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad