Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What’s Vegas offering for Tony that’s the real question
I would like to know this as well.

And I would still want Monahan. But I dont think you get Monahan without having DeAngelo in that deal.

But man if you could manage to walk away with Monahan and Glass/Krebs... that would be something

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Playing devil's advocate for a second, let's even assume that Monahan is leaching off Johnny Hockey and would do the same here with one of our wingers.

The question might become, from a straight production standpoint, would I rather have someone leaching 20 goals and 70 points off our wingers for $5 million, or leaching 35 goals and 80 points off our wingers for $6 million?

So @aufheben made the same point more eloquently than I did from earlier but why can’t there be an option C where the team gives up pretty valuable assets for a guy who’s good with whoever he plays with?

Reactions: Off Sides

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
You might be able to get the 2C with some upside, but like ADA, he's probably going to have some flaws as well --- he benefits from linemates, or he has not put it all together yet, or his floor is higher and his ceiling is lower, or he's more boom or bust, or he cleans up on the powerplay, or someone doesn't like his advanced stats.

Point being, he could be a good player --- but I think there's a high proability he still generates unease.

You can say ADA has defensive flaws but he’s an offensive stud. You can fix up that defense easier than you can find the amount of offense he generates from the blueline.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I respect the perspective you are trying to lay down for fans with this one. What you said about TDA not holding as much value in GMs mind, even NYR, as much as what fans perceive really hit a mark.

I will say this though. I personally hold DeAngelo in higher regard than say Barrie, Shattenkirk, or even Hamilton. DeAngelo is a stud with just below average defensive worts. He drives the play from zone to zone and manages to find loose pucks down low accordingly. It bothers me enough that he is more in the mold of a younger Yandle with muscle and grit, or a poor Brent Burns and we could miss out on a golden player who is on the cusp of showing us what exactly he will be the next 5 or 6 years.

I don't see him as a complementary offensive feeder. He is too assertive for that and showed a few times he can make plays in traffic and turn what looks like a zone reversal into an odd-man rush in our favor then set himself up in the process to nail a rebound.

I'll puke if a Monahan level player is the return.
Wasn't TDA the target of the current GM when they made the Stepan deal (besides the salary dump)?
Hasn't TDA developed and produced since that time??
Besides putting up points, doesn't TDA stand up for teammates and is well liked in the dressing room???

He's played for peanuts until now and now that he's an RFA, he's asking to get paid, nothing wrong there, as far as I'm concerned!
I really like what I see and hear from Lundqvist, but to say he's ready and able to step in, if TDA leaves is ludicrous. Ludicrous because we don't know how he and his game will adapt to the NHL yet. In my opinion, the wise thing to do is sign him to a 2 year extension and see how things shake out with our RD, including Lundqvist, after he comes over next year...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We’re at the point of comparing ADA to Leetch now. Holy mackerel.

Are you serious? Since Leetch means that we've been looking for a top offensive defenseman since Leetch retired. I never said he was as good as Leetch, but Leetch was the last top offensive defenseman we had that played like a top offensive defenseman. What a silly post.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I respect the perspective you are trying to lay down for fans with this one. What you said about TDA not holding as much value in GMs mind, even NYR, as much as what fans perceive really hit a mark.

I will say this though. I personally hold DeAngelo in higher regard than say Barrie, Shattenkirk, or even Hamilton. DeAngelo is a stud with just below average defensive worts. He drives the play from zone to zone and manages to find loose pucks down low accordingly. It bothers me enough that he is more in the mold of a younger Yandle with muscle and grit, or a poor Brent Burns and we could miss out on a golden player who is on the cusp of showing us what exactly he will be the next 5 or 6 years.

I don't see him as a complementary offensive feeder. He is too assertive for that and showed a few times he can make plays in traffic and turn what looks like a zone reversal into an odd-man rush in our favor then set himself up in the process to nail a rebound.

I'll puke if a Monahan level player is the return.
I agree with everything except maybe the last sentence. Monahan is a pretty good player. Would like maybe a little more grit in the Top Six though, ideally.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Playing devil's advocate for a second, let's even assume that Monahan is leaching off Johnny Hockey and would do the same here with one of our wingers.

The question might become, from a straight production standpoint, would I rather have someone leaching 20 goals and 70 points off our wingers for $5 million, or leaching 35 goals and 80 points off our wingers for $6 million?
What makes you think he's going to score 35 goals and 80 points? He's done that once in his career while being on Gaudreau's line for the longest time. And there are other options than those 2.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
ADA has to be the most overrated Ranger in a long time.

He’s a good player but damn. People act like he’s the second coming of Leetch. (He is not)
Leetch was good because he was good both offensively and defensively. ADA is an extremely talented offensive defenseman, and given the right partner, his defensive deficiencies can be minimized. Having a high scoring defenseman is one of the best things you can do for your team, assuming his defense isn't a detriment. Some might argue ADA's defense is detrimental, which is fair, but no one can deny his offensive capabilities.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I like Tda but he really doesn't have a spot with this team long term unless we finagle our way outta Trouba. It makes sense to get rid of him.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Leetch was good because he was good both offensively and defensively. ADA is an extremely talented offensive defenseman, and given the right partner, his defensive deficiencies can be minimized. Having a high scoring defenseman is one of the best things you can do for your team, assuming his defense isn't a detriment. Some might argue ADA's defense is detrimental, which is fair, but no one can deny his offensive capabilities.
I get that but. I’m not handing him a fat contract when his replacement is 1 year away.

you don’t hold on to every single asset. You have to give to get. And most importantly be realistic about the players value.

hf is far from realistic with ADA value

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
ADA has to be the most overrated Ranger in a long time.

He’s a good player but damn. People act like he’s the second coming of Leetch. (He is not)
No one believes that, What I and others believe is he's an elite, in fact one of the 2 or 3 best offensive defenseman in the NHL, which he is and if it's true that he's not valued as highly around the league as he should be, well it seems pretty dumb to trade him away. But it's seemingly going to happen so we better make it worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->