Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Wayne Simmonds could be that 4th line RW on the cheap. Mean guy to play against still can put up some pts. Might even still be a pp2 net front presence.
There are going to be a lot of options. And this with a flat cap that these free agents have to deal with. Colin Wilson could be another one on that list. Joakim Nordstrom. The list goes on and on.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I wouldn’t hate it if the Rangers went with a young but talented 3rd line and followed that up with a veteran hard nosed 4th line. I’m not a fan of Matt Martin specifically but we’ve all discussed Kyle Clifford or Ryan Reaves as viable 4th liners. Lemieux on one side with Howden in the middle and one of those guys on the opposite wing should be the makings of that type of 4th line assuming Howden takes a step forward which I think he will. One of the benefits of Lemieux is that he can play either wing. Clifford is a LW, Reaves is a RW.

All those guys you mentioned wont be the type of players that command 4th line money. We can draft and develop grit, or trade for it when they are on cheap deals but handing out 2 or 3 mill contracts for 4th liners for us doesn't make sense especially when we have guys like Kravtsov, Barron, and maybe Lias needing spots the following year. Just look at the guys we've added jn those moulds, Rupp, Boogard, Brashear, etc etc, we always get them when they've pretty much worn themselves out. I like that we got Lemieux, we could add grit but it should be young grit not over the hill looking for a payday grit. I honesty think this team is gonna let it build organically and then see what fits in a years time.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Once this team hits it's stride concerning forwards, the 4th line should end up playing like 8 mins a game, less if 5on5. Fill it with some combo of PKers, checkers, energy, do it on the cheap and spend cap space elsewhere.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Sorry I've been MIA but given the choice of just one, is the consensus here to trade TDA or Strome? Given the other will sign near $6m x 5

Personally would like to move on from both but that is probably a tall ask for Gorton in a flat cap

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'd have to say he's in the know quite a bit more than any of us.. Wouldn't you?

At the end of the day, tell me more about this magician of a GM.

$6,083,333 on Kevin Shattenkirk alone..

"A buyout would mean that the Rangers would be obliged to carry $12,994,444 of dead space this season ($6,083,333 on Kevin Shattenkirk, $1,111,111 on Dan Girardi, $300,000 on Ryan Spooner, plus $5,500,000 on Lundqvist) that would effectively reduce general manager Jeff Gorton’s working cap to $68,505,556"
I don't know how anyone could kill Gorton for the Shattenkirk signing. The best D on the UFA market came to him willing to take both an AAV and term discount off his best offer. FFS, Shattenkirk left over $20M on the table signing with us versus Buffalo.

It didn't work out, for various reasons, but hindsight is 20/20.

IMO, the Girardi, Staal, and Smith deals were far worse, and we all knew it the moment they were signed.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I'm fine with Matt Martin at $2M or under, and 3 years or under. Anything more is a hard pass from me.

However, I think Martin is being a little undersold here. He skates very well, and hits to hurt (cleanly). We don't have anyone who brings that physical element. It makes a difference, especially in the playoffs.

Also, don't underestimate Martin's ability to get his linemates (and teammates in general, for that matter) to play more of a hard-nosed game. We need more fight on our roster, period. Guys like Gauthier and Chytil play way too passive in puck battles. We need them to find some meanness.

Again, I'm not advocating for signing Martin at all costs, but $2M/3Y is a contract I can live with (that's also probably a discount over what he'll get as a UFA).

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
unless you've cleared cap space for fast first, we shouldn't be signing any 4th liner for more than $1 mil/year

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
unless you've cleared cap space for fast first, we shouldn't be signing any 4th liner for more than $1 mil/year
I don't necessarily disagree, but sometimes the player prices themselves out of consideration. Fast is a player that is probably going to get a $4x4 offer from someone. Does he want to come back to the comfort and safety of the Rangers (an organization he grew up in, is respected in, and is familiar with) for $3x3? I can't answer that, but given his durability and history of hard minutes, he may want to just take the money (and I wouldn't blame him), and deal with being in an unfamiliar, potentially less desirable location.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Been covering the team for 42 years yet needs to come to HF for material lol
Is this true? That he has been covering the Rangers since ‘78? I could swear he was covering the Devils in the 90s. I have no idea what he was doing before that, though.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Not sure why people are looking to go out to the UFA market for 4th liners of all things. The current depth chart seems rather full at the moment, no?

LW: Kreider, Panarin, LAF, Lemieux
C: Ziba, Strome, Chytil, Howden, Barron
RW: Buch, Kakko, Kravtsov, Gautier, possibly Fast

Aside from RW being a little thin (particularly if Krav stays in Russia the whole year and Fast doesn't re-sign), this looks pretty solid, even if we move on from Strome.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not sure why people are looking to go out to the UFA market for 4th liners of all things. The current depth chart seems rather full at the moment, no?

C: Ziba, Strome, Chytil, Howden, Barron
RW: Buch, Kakko, Kravtsov, Gautier, possibly Fast

Aside from RW being a little thin (particularly if Krav stays in Russia the whole year and Fast doesn't re-sign), this looks pretty solid, even if we move on from Strome.
Agreed. I’d be standing pat and waiting to see what shakes out thanks to the flat cap. I wouldn’t mind signing one gritty-but-effective vet for cheap. Also listening to calls from GMs interested in Georgiev, Buch and Strome and to a lesser degree ADA. I’d be checking in regularly with the agents for our FAs. I would hope we don’t need to buy out anyone. If Georgiev can’t be moved for a second or better, I suppose I’d hold him and beg Henrik to retire. But ideally we get something nice for G, he gets his chance to start, and Henrik can finish out his deal as mentor/backup.

Last edited:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Anyone who has paid attention to what Dallas is doing in the playoffs has a much greater appreciation of what a quality fourth line can do.

I definitely see the value in a good fourth line--I just don't see any reason to go out and spend on one right now. Ideally, the team will draft/develop its own fourth line. Frankly, a fourth line of Lemieux/Howden/Fast would be one of the best 4ths we've had in years (prob the best since the Brian Boyle years).

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sorry I've been MIA but given the choice of just one, is the consensus here to trade TDA or Strome? Given the other will sign near $6m x 5

Personally would like to move on from both but that is probably a tall ask for Gorton in a flat cap

wait who’s getting 6m x 5? We already overpaid last off-season for trouba. I wouldn’t give strome more than 4-4.25 annually. Ada little hard to figure but hopefully nothing more than 5/5.25

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
C: Ziba, Strome/trade?, Chytil, Howden
RW: Buch, Kakko, Kravtsov/?, Gautier
Spare: C. Wilson maybe?
I reckon one of Strome or Buch is moved this “summer” and a gritty vet (on a cap-friendly deal) is the replacement.
Just my guess.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
There are going to be a lot of options. And this with a flat cap that these free agents have to deal with. Colin Wilson could be another one on that list. Joakim Nordstrom. The list goes on and on.
Agree, though risky patience might be a better strategy than the Early Bird approach for at least this season and the next.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad