Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I mean I really have no issue with Martin in a vaccuum. He's actually a decent player who brings bite I think we could really use. I just have an issue with paying a guy $3m per year to play 8 minutes a night when we have a cheaper guy, albeit less developed, in Lemieux to play a similar role.

Now, if the Rangers trade Lemieux for help elsewhere or to move up in the draft and Martin signs around $2m per? That changes the conversation entirely.

Last edited:

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Larry Brooks is a buffoon. The Matt Martin article is exhibit A.

Yup. What's funny is that the only time I read his articles is when they cross my twitter feed. By blocking me he effectively reduces his clicks, and given how quickly he went to block me, I can't imagine I'm the only one. Maybe he's still suffering PTSD from Torts.

Reactions: Pidto Files

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I mean I really have no issue with Martin in a vaccuum. He's actually a decent player who brings bite I think we could really use. I just have an issue with paying a guy $3m per year to play 8 minutes a night when we have a cheaper guy, albeit less developed, in Lemieux to play a similar role.

Now, if the Rangers trade Lemieux for help elsewhere or to move up in the draft and he signs around $2m per? That changes the conversation entirely.

I have nothing against Martin himself, more just the cap allocation to one position. That being said, over 30 free agent 4th liners are almost always terrible ideas especially for teams that at best in a transitional phase.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Not to pile on the hate on Martin but pass. No way am I losing someone like Fast just to turn around and find a way to spend 3 million on Martin.

I think Martin is a nice fit... at 1.5 million. If the cost is 3 million then no bueno. He might take less to come here considering wife/family that lives here.

Reactions: bl02

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
There is this thing called the salary cap, and the Rangers already have around 18 million committed to Kreider and Panarin. Adding martin at 3 mil per commits a full quarter of the flat cap over the next few years to 3 left wingers, when the Rangers are about to draft another 1st over all.
I'm aware of the salary cap, yes. I guess I don't see the difference, given that they're not interchangeable pieces. Signing Martin for $3 million would be just as dumb if he were a RW.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I have nothing against Martin himself, more just the cap allocation to one position. That being said, over 30 free agent 4th liners are almost always terrible ideas especially for teams that at best in a transitional phase.

I can appreciate that take. Though all it takes is for one of those LWs to flip sides and suddenly it's a non issue. Left or right isn't much of an issue for new-era wingers. Especially 4th liners.

Of course the term with Martin would be a big sticking point. The question is really just how badly does he want to stay in the area? If the answer is "a lot" and the Devils aren't an alternative, then maybe the Rangers can offer him something like $1.85m x 3. It's not an insulting pay cut and he gets to stay in the NY area. It's also not an unmovable deal or something that is going to haunt the Rangers into that 4th or 5th year.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Haha, brooksie just blocked me on twitter for pointing out it is tough to take him seriously about things when he advocates for the Rangers to go out and sign a FA left winger when they already have 18ish million committed to Kreider and Panarin for the next 6 years and are about to draft another left winger 1OA. How did that snowflake survive as an NYR beat writer for so long when he can't take any criticism at all?

And I know you'll see this Brooksie, its where you steal all your ideas from.

I'd have to say he's in the know quite a bit more than any of us.. Wouldn't you?

At the end of the day, tell me more about this magician of a GM.

$6,083,333 on Kevin Shattenkirk alone..

"A buyout would mean that the Rangers would be obliged to carry $12,994,444 of dead space this season ($6,083,333 on Kevin Shattenkirk, $1,111,111 on Dan Girardi, $300,000 on Ryan Spooner, plus $5,500,000 on Lundqvist) that would effectively reduce general manager Jeff Gorton’s working cap to $68,505,556"

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yes. There's also been talk of Kreider moving to the right-side if necessary.
I think part of Kreider’s value is he’s just an easy guy to have on the team. He’s durable and cooperative and a good clubhouse guy and - while his production is streaky - he’s generally an even-keeled and reliable player. He’s low maintenance. I’m sure he’ll be happy to move to RW and do a good job.

Reactions: Trxjw

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Laf and Chytil May end up being a perfect match.

they’ll have time to figure out who plays with who. It’s not a big deal.
I see this too. A clever improviser plus a guy who plays a predictable (not in a bad way) north-south game and can lug the puck. Seems to be a nice match, on the surface, at least. Those two, plus Buchnevich, could work.

Reactions: McSauer

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think part of Kreider’s value is he’s just an easy guy to have on the team. He’s durable and cooperative and a good clubhouse guy and - while his production is streaky - he’s generally an even-keeled and reliable player. He’s low maintenance. I’m sure he’ll be happy to move to RW and do a good job.

Yeah he doesn't seem like the type who is going to throw a tantrum because he had to move sides and I don't think there's some obvious advantage in his game that comes lining up on the left. Modern-day systems are fluid and don't really rely on guys parking themselves on one side of the ice. At least not in the neutral/offensive zones. Some guys like Ovie are particular about it but most guys don't really care.

Reactions: egelband

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I'd have to say he's in the know quite a bit more than any of us.. Wouldn't you?

At the end of the day, tell me more about this magician of a GM.

$6,083,333 on Kevin Shattenkirk alone..

"A buyout would mean that the Rangers would be obliged to carry $12,994,444 of dead space this season ($6,083,333 on Kevin Shattenkirk, $1,111,111 on Dan Girardi, $300,000 on Ryan Spooner, plus $5,500,000 on Lundqvist) that would effectively reduce general manager Jeff Gorton’s working cap to $68,505,556"

I think he's much much less in the know now in the Gorton cone of silence era than he was when Sather used him as a tool.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah he doesn't seem like the type who is going to throw a tantrum because he had to move sides and I don't think there's some obvious advantage in his game that comes lining up on the left. Modern-day systems are fluid and don't really rely on guys parking themselves on one side of the ice. At least not in the neutral/offensive zones. Some guys like Ovie are particular about it but most guys don't really care.

He'll have to come up with a new breakaway move if he plays the right side.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I can’t say for 100 percent certainty that Matt would take less money but if the islanders don’t offer him a contract I can see him taking less money to stay in the area...trust me

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Yup. What's funny is that the only time I read his articles is when they cross my twitter feed. By blocking me he effectively reduces his clicks, and given how quickly he went to block me, I can't imagine I'm the only one. Maybe he's still suffering PTSD from Torts.
I’ve been blocked. Consider it a badge.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I think he's much much less in the know now in the Gorton cone of silence era than he was when Sather used him as a tool.

I have to disagree.
While he may not be inside the corporate room, he still has endless resources that you and I will never have access too..

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Brooks has written stuff about Matt Martin in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks sees Martin as a guy that would provide him a new voice with access to the locker room. Larry almost always has an agenda these days. Insufferable.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks sees Martin as a guy that would provide him a new voice with access to the locker room. Larry almost always has an agenda these days. Insufferable.

I think some of you people just have a problem with facts that don't align with your misconceptions.
He's only been covering the NYR since 1978 lol.
Insufferable indeed..

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Josh Anderson will eventually be on the roster, if not Matt Martin...

...any day now...

...yes...eventually...

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yep. I kind of think that’s a big part of Krieder’s value. He’s nothing if not dependable.

Reactions: Trxjw

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wouldn’t hate it if the Rangers went with a young but talented 3rd line and followed that up with a veteran hard nosed 4th line. I’m not a fan of Matt Martin specifically but we’ve all discussed Kyle Clifford or Ryan Reaves as viable 4th liners. Lemieux on one side with Howden in the middle and one of those guys on the opposite wing should be the makings of that type of 4th line assuming Howden takes a step forward which I think he will. One of the benefits of Lemieux is that he can play either wing. Clifford is a LW, Reaves is a RW.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Cheese and Rice, if the Rangers go with Matt Martin for pretty much any reason they missed the point. Matt Martin is not going to make them any tougher besides Matt Martin.

Who got tougher because of, in reverse chronological order, McQuaid, Beleskey, Glass, ... No need to go further into insanity, no player developed into or became a tougher player because the Rangers added a tougher player to any line or D pair because that is not how it works.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wayne Simmonds could be that 4th line RW on the cheap. Mean guy to play against still can put up some pts. Might even still be a pp2 net front presence.

Reactions: leetch99 and RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad