Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's got a no move clause, he literately can't be sent to Hartford

If I was Hank, I would go right to COL. Nathan MacKinnon is an absolute animal. I mean, if you get a chance to see this kid live, you will get your money's worth, he's an absolute animal.

They need a big game goalie, who can make that big game save, and a commanding presence that can get the likes of Girard, Byram, and Makar to block shots.

COL traded for a hall of fame goalie to win a cup in the past, and also traded for hall of famers on cup runs. Get 30 games in the regular season, stay fresh and have your November during the playoffs. That's the best situation for him. With Roy and Bourque, Sakic knows a thing or two about getting veteran stars to win a cup.

COL had absolutely miserable goaltending, and I knew that this would be a strong possibility, so I question not having better options knowing that they are a contender. Now the issue has a microscope on it.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
If I was Hank, I would go right to COL. Nathan MacKinnon is an absolute animal. I mean, if you get a chance to see this kid live, you will get your money's worth, he's an absolute animal.

They need a big game goalie, who can make that big game save, and a commanding presence that can get the likes of Girard, Byram, and Makar to block shots.

COL traded for a hall of fame goalie to win a cup in the past, and also traded for hall of famers on cup runs. Get 30 games in the regular season, stay fresh and have your November during the playoffs. That's the best situation for him. With Roy and Bourque, Sakic knows a thing or two about getting veteran stars to win a cup.

COL had absolutely miserable goaltending, and I knew that this would be a strong possibility, so I question not having better options knowing that they are a contender. Now the issue has a microscope on it.
I just don't see any way he goes somewhere else without getting bought out first. And I think Colorado got a bad roll of the dice with their top 2 goalies getting injured, I don't see them really planning on that happening to them again

Reactions: haveandare

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'd root for Colorado next year, for sure, if that were to happen. Unless by some miracle they're playing the Rangers in the Final. Can you imagine Hank traded to Colorado and losing to his old team in the Final? I think he'd go Pavelich and live in the woods and we'd never hear from him again, lol.

Won't happen. :)

Reactions: NYRangers16

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I grew up in a similar social circle with Virtanen, we have mutual friends, and play in the same roller league. He is someone with all the tools in the world, he is Ovi-level of physical beast. He is as fast as McDavid (literally came within 0.001 second of his time while wearing a cape and he was hungover)

and he’s that fast while coming to camp out of shape every year because still lives around all his childhood friends and he grew up in a really bad area. Like over 20 kids from my grad class are already dead, this is like the Southside of Chicago of Canada. This city was once named the car theft capital of North America. He has really awful influences around him that cause him not to mature, all his issues are because of him going out and partying and getting in trouble to impress his dumb friends. I think if he leaves this area he will grow tremendously on and off the ice.

thoughts on what has held him back from being a star? seems to have all the tools to be a top power forward

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I grew up in a similar social circle with Virtanen, we have mutual friends, and play in the same roller league. He is someone with all the tools in the world, he is Ovi-level of physical beast. He is as fast as McDavid (literally came within 0.001 second of his time while wearing a cape and he was hungover)

and he’s that fast while coming to camp out of shape every year because still lives around all his childhood friends and he grew up in a really bad area. Like over 20 kids from my grad class are already dead, this is like the Southside of Chicago of Canada. This city was once named the car theft capital of North America. He has really awful influences around him that cause him not to mature, all his issues are because of him going out and partying and getting in trouble to impress his dumb friends. I think if he leaves this area he will grow tremendously on and off the ice.

Canucks fan base has been patiently waiting for Virtanen to break out for 4 years now but he's still wildly inconsistent as a player. Has a shot, doesn't use it well enough. Has power forward size and skating but doesn't apply it well. Some maturity issues off the ice but nothing major especially if he gets a change of scenery away from his home town team. Canucks fans always go to the fact that Ehlers and Nylander were both available but the Canucks drafted the hometown boy. I think he can deliver if he finds a focus with another team. Prime candidate for that kind of a breakout but probably not if he stays with the Canucks.

Thanks guys. Yeah that makes a lot of sense, appreciate you sharing that Jovo... It's similar in terms of pressure with NYC Basketball players playing for the Knicks. There's a lot that comes with being the local boy, and Virtanen has some junior pedigree. It's that skating that's enticing to me, that size, that speed, right shot. That's enough for an automatic 20 goals in the right situation, especially on the third line.

Yeah I mean some of the Canucks players, I know they straight up bitch him around. Which part of me honestly respects. I think Horvat is a hell of a captain. These things happen, and a change of scenery should do him well... provided he puts the work in. It's one of those situations where a locker room of the acquiring team would have to accept him knowing the situation, and there would need to be a support staff.

Truth be told, he might be better going to a team like the Islanders where there is a veteran core. Guys like Martin, Boychuk, and of course getting drilled by Lou for a year or two will help him make a lot more $$ in the long run. Wish him well for me. The athletic gifts are something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I just don't see any way he goes somewhere else without getting bought out first. And I think Colorado got a bad roll of the dice with their top 2 goalies getting injured, I don't see them really planning on that happening to them again

I wouldn't be so sure about that, they went with a guy that they thought could handle the minutes and had to resort to Michael Hutchinson who is the NHL's epitome of the substitute back-up goalie. Grubauer has a injury history. I think they tandem Grubauer with a more proven player, and get a 3rd option in the AHL.

I do agree that they can get Hank as a UFA. Trading with the Rangers would be doing the Rangers a favor, so that may come with a tax.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I wouldn't be so sure about that, they went with a guy that they thought could handle the minutes and had to resort to Michael Hutchinson who is the NHL's epitome of the substitute back-up goalie. Grubauer has a injury history. I think they tandem Grubauer with a more proven player, and get a 3rd option in the AHL.

I do agree that they can get Hank as a UFA. Trading with the Rangers would be doing the Rangers a favor, so that may come with a tax.
Did Francouz not get hurt? And they extended Francouz for two more years not too long ago

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Did Francouz not get hurt? And they extended Francouz for two more years not too long ago

Oh he was bad in the playoffs. He cost them the series. Hurt or not, he choked. You can't have chokers on the team and be a contender if said choker is a goalie.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not necessarily Lemiuex or Gauthier, though. But they have to be penciled in on the third line or the "too many forwards" bogeyman will come for us. And if they do become third liners, for f***s sake, let them actually beat somebody to that spot.

We had exactly the same discussion last year and traded Namestnikov because "we have enough depth." We had so little that we ended up playing a random defenseman at wing.

This was done so Staal wouldn't get his feelings hurt.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'd rather sign Johan Larsson.

Hes younger and better. I would have loved Boyle 2 years ago when were were just starting out on this rebuild but I don't know how much more he has left to give. I don't even know if his PK'ing is still good, I'd imagine it is since he was pretty damn elite at it.

I like Larsson but I forgot he was an UFA and thought he was RFA for some reason.

I’m interested in Zegmus Girgensons as a checking center. Underrated player. 26 years old UFA 12 goals 19 pts in 69 games

Sam Gagner would be another low risk high reward option

Rangers sign 2 out of the 3. Get center depth. Gagner can help the PP too. Good scoring option.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
And yet, our top 6 was good last year, and our bottom 6 was terrible.

Part of the explanation is that it was done by choice:

1. Choice to let prospects like Chytil, Kakko, Howden, Lemieux and later Gauthier to go through ups and downs that’s typical for youngsters’ development

2. Choice to not straighten these bottom lines with vets from the get go or address it later when it became apparent that McKegg , Haley, Smith at forward etc weren’t cutting it

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Nah I still firmly believe that the Rangers think Staal is useful.

This is the third buyout he's about to survive.

If that were the case, Smith wouldn't have eaten minutes over him post Skjei trade.

He was very much deployed as the 6th D. It's clear that the organization both loves him and feels like they owe him something, but I wonder how much more of this they're willing to take. He was basically the flaming dumpster gif on skates this year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I like Larsson but I forgot he was an UFA and thought he was RFA for some reason.

I’m interested in Zegmus Girgensons as a checking center. Underrated player. 26 years old UFA 12 goals 19 pts in 69 games

Sam Gagner would be another low risk high reward option

Rangers sign 2 out of the 3. Get center depth. Gagner can help the PP too. Good scoring option.

I don't hate this either. He has some bite to his game as well.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Smart management plans accordingly.
This.

Earlier this summer, I mentioned that a few years ago I had seen the Coyotes cap planning tool. It was pretty amazing. They had all of their current players, players in their system they expected to have with the big club in the future, players they hadn’t even drafted yet and even players they hoped to acquire as free agents. It stretched out for several years. and it was pretty amazing. I can only assume the Rangers have a similar tool. These guys are paid a lot of money to do the things we doodle with here on the boards.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'd rather sign Johan Larsson.

Hes younger and better. I would have loved Boyle 2 years ago when were were just starting out on this rebuild but I don't know how much more he has left to give. I don't even know if his PK'ing is still good, I'd imagine it is since he was pretty damn elite at it.
This. I have a feeling he’s going to sign for peanuts (relatively) too.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Smart management plans accordingly. I fail to see where Gorton has proven he isn't accounting for the future properly. Everyone loves to point to the teams that end up in cap hell.

Gordon hasn’t been bad at all. He budgeted for the names i mentioned before yet all that changed once the Rangers won back to back lottery picks. Now the Rangers have to anticipate at least $10 million for each of those players in the future. A future which will come fast. On top there is Panarin, Zibby, Kreider , etc so this won’t be easy.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
How about signing Mikko Koivu to a cheap 1 year deal to mentor KK and win faceoffs and penalty kill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad