Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
also its $1.5 mil of dead space next year, not $5 mil so literally every word of that post is wrong

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
How far away is Pajuniemi? He’s a winger seems highly skilled. He had an excellent season last year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nobody said we are set at forward, but if I'm trading for someone they should probably be better than the players they would have to replace to get a roster spot.
I guarantee you by game 25 Virtanen is better than everyone on our 4th line.

D713B

Mar 9, 2008
the cap will a disaster if the Rangers don’t budget this well. A year ago the team basically only had Zibby and Kreider. Kreider who they may have traded. Now they have Kreider, Zibby coming up, Trouba and Panarin. They did luck out for Kappo so now they can anticipate him getting quite a bit down the road. Whoa, now they win the lottery so Laf might be the highest paid in a few years. Add in Fox and what about ADA?

Flat cap the money will go fast. Just ask the Blackhawks

Smart management plans accordingly. I fail to see where Gorton has proven he isn't accounting for the future properly. Everyone loves to point to the teams that end up in cap hell. The Blackhawks have three recent cups. I don't think they regret the tough decisions they've had to make over the years. (Buff, Sharp etc.) How many years have the Bruins been competitive in the cap era? Seems like forever. Sharks are similar minus closing the deal. They were loaded to the gills against the cap for years and competitive.

For the record I never mentioned Virtanen directly. I said marginal players. Yes, he falls in that category either way. It was a blanket statement by someone who's lingered here and been amused by the various random players we've discussed for 15ish years. It wasn't intended to get anyone up in arms over Virtanen. :help:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Smart management plans accordingly. I fail to see where Gorton has proven he isn't accounting for the future properly. Everyone loves to point to the teams that end up in cap hell. The Blackhawks have three recent cups. I don't think they regret the tough decisions they've had to make over the years. (Buff, Sharp etc.) How many years have the Bruins been competitive in the cap era? Seems like forever. Sharks are similar minus closing the deal. They were loaded to the gills against the cap for years and competitive.

For the record I never mentioned Virtanen directly. I said marginal players. Yes, he falls in that category either way. It was a blanket statement by someone who's lingered here and been amused by the various random players we've discussed for 15ish years. It wasn't intended to get anyone up in arms over Virtanen. :help:

if anything I think the cap situation proves that gorton does plan ahead. we have almost a clean sheet after next year. right now the only players under contract (excluding ELCs) beyong 20-21 are Mika (final year), Trouba, Kreider and Panarin (and all 3 were signed in the last year). we could get into trouble in a hurry if we are dumb about things, but right now we couldn't be setup better in terms of the cap post rebuild.

D713B

Mar 9, 2008
"youre obsessed with x" and "you hate x" are go-to attacks used by posters arguing without any substantive leg to stand on. Its basically an admission of their failure, so you should take it as a compliment.

2020 has some people wound tight, eh? Sorry to hear you might take that as an argument or that you may perceive this as an assessment of "failure".

It was a flippant comment directed at the countless 3rd/4th line players we've debated over the decade plus I've been around every off season. It was a joke about the doldrums of the off-season that we see every season.

Take a breath. It's all going to be fine....

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Is it a red flag that he was out of shape going into these playoffs? Or would you chalk it up to unusual circumstances due to COVID?

we don't know his situation. I'm not sure we can judge anyone for how they came back from the shutdown

Reactions: Cag29

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Is it a red flag that he was out of shape going into these playoffs? Or would you chalk it up to unusual circumstances due to COVID?

I would think it's a kid that needs a change, if anything that should lower his price. To me it's about expectations, and imo he's a Brett Connolly approaching his athletic peak. Maybe he's checked out a bit, whipping boys don't stick around for a while if you know what I mean.

He's physical. You've got to give him that, and I think in the right situation, he's a very useful forechecking forward. Still a bottom sixer, with tweener shifts here and there. But fitness has to be a priority with him, that's what he's good for, his athletic gifts. No one is going to pay a premium for him to try and process the game out there.

Reactions: Cag29

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Would be curious to learn more. What do you and @EdJovanovski think of Virtanen?
I grew up in a similar social circle with Virtanen, we have mutual friends, and play in the same roller league. He is someone with all the tools in the world, he is Ovi-level of physical beast. He is as fast as McDavid (literally came within 0.001 second of his time while wearing a cape and he was hungover)

and he’s that fast while coming to camp out of shape every year because still lives around all his childhood friends and he grew up in a really bad area. Like over 20 kids from my grad class are already dead, this is like the Southside of Chicago of Canada. This city was once named the car theft capital of North America. He has really awful influences around him that cause him not to mature, all his issues are because of him going out and partying and getting in trouble to impress his dumb friends. I think if he leaves this area he will grow tremendously on and off the ice.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Would be curious to learn more. What do you and @EdJovanovski think of Virtanen?

Canucks fan base has been patiently waiting for Virtanen to break out for 4 years now but he's still wildly inconsistent as a player. Has a shot, doesn't use it well enough. Has power forward size and skating but doesn't apply it well. Some maturity issues off the ice but nothing major especially if he gets a change of scenery away from his home town team. Canucks fans always go to the fact that Ehlers and Nylander were both available but the Canucks drafted the hometown boy. I think he can deliver if he finds a focus with another team. Prime candidate for that kind of a breakout but probably not if he stays with the Canucks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You can say that about 90% of guys in the league though. It depends what the price is to get him. I'm not going to turn him down but he's not a guy i really covet.
Not necessarily Lemiuex or Gauthier, though. But they have to be penciled in on the third line or the "too many forwards" bogeyman will come for us. And if they do become third liners, for f***s sake, let them actually beat somebody to that spot.

We had exactly the same discussion last year and traded Namestnikov because "we have enough depth." We had so little that we ended up playing a random defenseman at wing.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I grew up in a similar social circle with Virtanen, we have mutual friends, and play in the same roller league. He is someone with all the tools in the world, he is Ovi-level of physical beast. He is as fast as McDavid (literally came within 0.001 second of his time while wearing a cape and he was hungover)

and he’s that fast while coming to camp out of shape every year because still lives around all his childhood friends and he grew up in a really bad area. Like over 20 kids from my grad class are already dead, this is like the Southside of Chicago of Canada. This city was once named the car theft capital of North America. He has really awful influences around him that cause him not to mature, all his issues are because of him going out and partying and getting in trouble to impress his dumb friends. I think if he leaves this area he will grow tremendously on and off the ice.

damn. After this inside scoop I change my mind. Get him !

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad