Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Because there are many moving parts to the roster, he isn’t going anywhere as a free agent, and he might be a trade candidate?
I'm assuming you are thinking of another one of our players besides Mr. Fast but I was referring to Mr. Fast.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm assuming you are thinking of another one of our players besides Mr. Fast but I was referring to Mr. Fast.

Assumed you were talking about ADA.

As for Fast, I think both sides are interested in a reunion. The money gap will be difficult to bridge.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Your takes are so bad they cause me physical pain

I love Fast but one of our best players? Holy hyperbole in the name of making a flimsy point.
Our coach called him that. Our players vote him annually as the most team first guy on the team. His linemates love playing with him. Ask Panarin and Strome. They always have. Ask Step and Kreids.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Our coach called him that. Our players vote him annually as the most team first guy on the team. His linemates love playing with him. Ask Panarin and Strome. They always have. Ask Step and Kreids.
Just wait till the blood in @RangerBoy starts flowing again naturally.

You’re on borrowed time, heathen. Troubles coming!

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I personally would sign him for 3 years at 2.75M AAV. 3 absolute max.

at 2.75 it's something the Rangers might do. Fast is likely to get more from someone else. He deserves it.

But I just don't like the idea of giving more than 2 year terms to any current NYR over 26. I'd much prefer to know who our core group is first. And we won't know that until the prospects, Kakko, Laf, VK, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist, Fox have time to develop. Until then, I want to keep as much cap flexibility as possible.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think we as a board fret more about the cap than the team does. It’s just not really something that seems to come up much internally.
I definitely agree but I do think they fret about who gets a UFA deal and I’d imagine they know exactly who they are interested in re-signing long-term. And who they aren’t. I do think the Kreider negotiation was legit 50-50. But that’s just my sense.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
at 2.75 it's something the Rangers might do. Fast is likely to get more from someone else. He deserves it.

But I just don't like the idea of giving more than 2 year terms to any current NYR over 26. I'd much prefer to know who our core group is first. And we won't know that until the prospects, Kakko, Laf, VK, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist, Fox have time to develop. Until then, I want to keep as much cap flexibility as possible.
The extra year is to make him extra enticing to Seattle!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gordon hasn’t been bad at all. He budgeted for the names i mentioned before yet all that changed once the Rangers won back to back lottery picks. Now the Rangers have to anticipate at least $10 million for each of those players in the future. A future which will come fast. On top there is Panarin, Zibby, Kreider , etc so this won’t be easy.

Yeah, it’s important to remember that we basically could get any top center for free — and we STILL have big challenges to turn this team into a contender under the cap.

It cannot be said enough. Having good players on good contracts is just as important as having great players period. Ask Toronto. Matthews is one of the best. Marner is sick. Many things have gone their way. Zero PO wins right?

So much of the focus in our head office should be around, how do we get “good players on good/great contracts”? How do you do it. Ziba was a very unique situation. I mean, can anyone really argue that we got a shot at winning a cup if we don’t have some really good contracts on the team? So how do we get them?

For me there are a few venues.
1. Know your players. Buy low on them. We have all the possibility in the world to monitor them 24/7 and gather information on them. If you got a situation where a kid has zero leverage and that kid by all objective standards could be locked up for a handful of years at a decent puck (albeit not seen as it at the time generally), we cannot pass on that option.

I can’t say with 100% certainty if this or that guy should have been locked up, it’s a we-need-a-parallel-universe-to-know-the-outcome topic. Maybe TDA signs for 6 years and 4m stop caring about hockey over night. I can’t know that. BUT, if Gorton can’t make those calls (maybe he did, maybe he was right) — we will never win a cup.

All we know for a fact is that Gorts only pays vets right know.

2. Look, this must go through the entire organization. We must be able to find more 1+1=3 environments. Where we can take a player that is flawed but get a complete performance on the ice because they line this flawed guys is on can put forth was is necessary.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Rangers fan should have watched last nights playoff game so they actually learn how to evaluate our defenseman. Hedman is one of the top 3 defenseman in the game. He had a ton of spectacular plays and also 3-4 horrific turnovers. That's what ALL defenseman do who handle the puck a ton in a game. They turn the puck over from time to time. A kid like Hajek should be a very good defenseman for us sooner than later.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers fan should have watched last nights playoff game so they actually learn how to evaluate our defenseman. Hedman is one of the top 3 defenseman in the game. He had a ton of spectacular plays and also 3-4 horrific turnovers. That's what ALL defenseman do who handle the puck a ton in a game. They turn the puck over from time to time. A kid like Hajek should be a very good defenseman for us sooner than later.

Players who have the puck on their sticks more often tend to have more turnovers. It's the nature of their game. Look at the top-10 in turnovers in the NHL.

Also, the worst defensemen always lead the league in hits. You tend to throw more hits if you are constantly chasing opponents who have the puck.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Are you aware of things like situational context and subtlety of speech or no one ever taught you these? Coaches and teammates (and fans) appreciate hardworking blue collar players like Fast because of their full commitment to do whatever possible for the team success. Best player talent wise? Hardly

Last season Fast was the last guy in the top6 forward group inserted there because rookie Kakko wasn’t ready. So even last season he wasn’t even close to the “best” forward (forget even all the talent on D). Fast forward (sorry for the pun) to next season and Kakko should be ready to take his rightful place in top6, Lafreniere is drafted and Chytil is likely to take a big step in his development. Where does it leave Fast on the depth chart and how do you reconcile it his desire of getting paid closer to $4m with a term? But you’re fully entitled to call it a “cap issue” if a team is not willing to pay this for 3-4 years to its 9th best forward who is very likely to start diminishing his play due to they type of game he’s required to play in order to be useful.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Well his Sooner needs to be the next 2 yrs or other prospects will jump him . Here’s hoping cause I’d like him to steal Staals minutes

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I definitely agree but I do think they fret about who gets a UFA deal and I’d imagine they know exactly who they are interested in re-signing long-term. And who they aren’t. I do think the Kreider negotiation was legit 50-50. But that’s just my sense.

With the exception of Kreider though, I don’t know if there’s too many guys they’ve fretted about as an UFA. And even in Kreider’s case, I don’t get the sense that the cap was nearly as big of an issue as it was whether or not they wanted to commit to a 29 year old player and for how long.

So in that sense, the effectiveness of the player as it relates to budgeting has traditionally been a bigger deal than how the cap hit relates relates to the broader team payroll.

Reactions: egelband and jas

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
We will be top 2 in Pronman's organizational prospect rankings. Top 10 so far:
3 Vancouver
4 Toronto
5 Buffalo
6 Carolina
7 Ottawa
8 Colorado
9 Montreal
10 Philadelphia

The last two are published tomorrow. I'm surprised we got top 3 but I really didn't expect NJ to be this high. Roster help is almost here.

Edit in a misprint of a team

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Matthews meets Pronmans criteria by 2 days

They wouldn’t be anywhere near this high if he didn’t change his ranking criteria lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad