Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
2nd again.

Roster wise, I’d rather the organization erred on the side of caution this offseason than making a hasty move to address perceived current weakness.

I have 100% confidence that JG & JD won't be making moves to address 'current' weaknesses with current meaning for next season...they are sticking to the plan and the big picture. if they can get to their long term solution sooner and make the team better next year great. but they aren't going to stray from the plan.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
2nd again.

Roster wise, I’d rather the organization erred on the side of caution this offseason than making a hasty move to address perceived current weakness.

I expect them, and most teams to be fairly conservative.

I think more than ever you'll see a desire to make sure the salaries balance on bigger deals, and you might see a slight uptick in minor deals, or those involving support players.

It's not to say there won't be bigger deals, but I think most people need to put the brakes on the idea that the Rangers are going to make 4 or 5 significant moves in a row.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have 100% confidence that JG & JD won't be making moves to address 'current' weaknesses with current meaning for next season...they are sticking to the plan and the big picture. if they can get to their long term solution sooner and make the team better next year great. but they aren't going to stray from the plan.

I think more than ever you'll see a desire to make sure the salaries balance on bigger deals, and you might see a slight uptick in minor deals, or those involving support players.

It's not to say there won't be bigger deals, but I think most people need to put the brakes on the idea that the Rangers are going to make 4 or 5 significant moves in a row.

Let me be even more specific. I doubt they will go for a chance at a higher pick if the cost is Buchnevich, Strome or DeAngelo. This is not to say it won’t happen towards the end of next season or around next draft but moving either this offseason will create another immediate weakness and / or expose prospects who are not ready for it.

One spot where I do want a serious update on the cheap is a good defensive 4C.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let me be even more specific. I doubt they will go for a chance at a higher pick if the cost is Buchnevich, Strome or DeAngelo. This is not to say it won’t happen towards the end of next season or around next draft but moving either this offseason will create another immediate weakness and / or expose prospects who are not ready for it.
I don' t think that was ever the plan to begin with. Not now, not next season. Unless they have absolutely no other choice (cap hell, etc.) those type of players are not being dealt for futures.

Which is not to say that they will not be dealt. But it would be to address the current roster.

I am also beginning to think that the certain posters perception of Strome is not only disagreed to by some of us but also by management.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
2nd again.

hope they remain patient. Gordon clearly wasn’t happy and voiced his concern with how the roster was constructed. I’m more confident with JD around than Sather.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

One spot where I do want a serious update on the cheap is a good defensive 4C.

Due to timing issues, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gorton wasn’t even entertaining the idea of moving significant assets to move up in the draft.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
So what rumors are we hearing? Not necessarily trade/FA rumors, but also rumors on what number Lafreniere will wear! :D

If anything, I think it’s noteworthy that we are hearing nothing. Whatsoever. Hank is back in town.

It’s Gorton’s MO and I don’t mind it. He wants all cards on the table and he wants to postpone a decision as long as possible if it gives him more information. I am sure he is conducting talks with other GMs, but they are preliminary and I doubt he is talking much to the agents.

In addition, I also think that things are pretty unclear about the conditions for next season.
*Escrow is supposedly capped at 20%. But if only half a season is played — is that 20% of 100% or 20% of 50%?
*In what shape are the other teams in this league? Many have fared pretty well, but many haven’t. How many if any will have internal budgets?
*How will teams coupe with a flat cap? Teams have planned for an increase. At the same time, will the market price for players come down some/a lot?

Overall, everything is interlinked. Which teams are sellers/buyers? How do you deal with your own players? Nobody have a prize that can be set isolated, if your own RFA is worth 6m depends on what you can get for 6m elsewhere. And so forth.

I wouldn’t expect Gorton to be proactive and act early.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I wouldn't expect any more than 1-2 significant deals/moves. I'd be surprised if Buchnevich is here next season and if we keep the Carolina pick. The latter especially I expect to see traded.

Unless you count Lafreniere and the Hank fall out. Then potentially 3-4.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I have confidence that the organization is focused on the big picture. This coming season is another positioning year...the end of major dead cap space and holdover contracts. It's' all about getting our ducks in a row for 2021-2022 and beyond when the pieces should start coming together.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
If we sign Strome, I only hope we invest in the bottom six.

Bring in Nosek and maybe Frolik...

Freidman said McCann may be on the block, does Martin like him? He could be a great option to plug into any line for some speed, pking, center or wing...

Reactions: RangersFan1994

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
If the Rangers somehow get rid of Lundqvist either via retirement or trade, would Torey Krug be a fit on the team for maybe $7 million per? This also would require DeAngelo on some sort of bridge deal.

Krug-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Staal/Miller-Deangelo

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If the Rangers somehow get rid of Lundqvist either via retirement or trade, would Torey Krug be a fit on the team for maybe $7 million per? This also would require DeAngelo on some sort of bridge deal.

Krug-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Staal/Miller-Deangelo

i don’t think you can make that kind of investment unless deangelo gets traded too. It’s too much when you factor in fox’s next contract

the 1 year of hank’s contract means little when you are talking about a 7 year deal for a ufa

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Krug-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Staal/Miller-Deangelo

Krug is a PP guy and I don’t see him coming over even if Hank retires

I’m thinking Hanafin , Klefbom as targets but it would mean moving DeAngelo . They would have to get creative

Dunn may be a good get From STL

mti79

May 11, 2007
I took a few versions off but I still like the idea of signing Mikko Koivu to a cheap 1 year deal to be the 3/4C. A 4th of Lemieux-Koivu-Fast could be fantastic.

Although that would presume that Chytil could be the 2C and Howden, Barron, or someone I'm forgetting could be the 3C

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I took a few versions off but I still like the idea of signing Mikko Koivu to a cheap 1 year deal to be the 3/4C. A 4th of Lemieux-Koivu-Fast could be fantastic.

Although that would presume that Chytil could be the 2C and Howden, Barron, or someone I'm forgetting could be the 3C
Koivu has said that he won't play anywhere in the NHL other than Minnesota

Reactions: NYRangers16

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Did he though?

Yes. This notion started when Michael Russo did a big Q&A in The Athletic in December and mentioned that he spoke to more than a dozen people that know Koivu really well. All said that they can't see him wanting to play anywhere else but Minnesota. After the Wild lost to Vancouver in the play-in, there was an article in the Pioneer Press looking at this same question. Here's the quote from the article:

If the Wild decide they don’t want to re-sign him, that could make Koivu’s decision fairly easy. He’s already said he has no interest playing in anything but a Wild sweater, and thus, would likely retire if that wasn’t an option next season.

Was that the final game for Wild captain Mikko Koivu? 'It's still too early'

Even if this weren't true, I still wouldn't want to sign him. He's only gotten worse in recent years, and the only appealing option to signing him is having a Finnish mentor for Kakko. Didn't the Rangers hire Tuommo Ruutu for this exact reason last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad