Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
random thought: Buchnevich for Athanisiou?
or EDM reunites Dylan Strome and McD and they decide to trade for the set. Strome for Athanisiou.

Detriot or not, he was -46 last year in only 55 games

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
To be fair he did say 'if Lundqvist is moved out and Georgiev is traded'

Even if Lundqvist and Georgiev are both moved, and Arizona agrees to retain 50%, Raanta still isn't a great choice. 2.125 mil is too much. We're going to need every dollar of cap space.

The other thing is that Raanta only has 1 year left on his deal, so we can't expose him in the expansion draft. We can sign someone to a cheap 2 year deal and stick him in the ECHL, or trade for someone at the deadline, but I'd rather just give Talbot a 2 year deal @ 1 mil per and kill 2 birds with one stone.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
Most people on here will tell you that my projections tend to be on the conservative side. That's just how I roll.

But I really can't state enough just how different Kakko and Lafreniere are for this organization.

This is new terrtitory in many ways. We don't have a reference point along these lines, for a first and second overall pick, in modern franchise history.

And that difference between a first/second overall pick, and a guy taken fourth, or 6th, 7th, 9th, or 10th, is significant. It really is.

When that ball came up with the Rangers logo last year, it changed the conversation.

When it came up this year, it changed the entire landscape in which that conversation was taking place.
Still dont believe getting lucky back to back years honestly
Been preaching for years til blue in the face about how winning without top 5 talent that you drafted is pretty damn impossible
Of course anything can happen but its extremely unlikely

Kakko was enough to satisfy...like wow we got top 3 once and I was grateful
And I do think he will be just fine... I see him being a 35-40 goals guy and roughly same on assists when he gets more PP time.

Lafrenière?? I really think he will be an absolute beast real soon.
This is the hockey Twilight Zone as far as I'm concerned
On top of Panarin...on Top of Zib plus more....what??

Maybe someone's finally smiling down on us and
Thank God for the Steven Macdonald badge

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Not sure if he's available, but Hertl would be exactly the type of player this team needs. He's the DEFINITION of difficult to play against. I can't think of many players that are harder to separate from the puck than Hertl is. Imagine him & Laf on the same line...the puck possession time would be outrageous.
I have no idea if Hertl is available but if he was, my listening just perked up. Injury and all, he is the perfect number two center for this team.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Even if Lundqvist and Georgiev are both moved, and Arizona agrees to retain 50%, Raanta still isn't a great choice. 2.125 mil is too much. We're going to need every dollar of cap space.

The other thing is that Raanta only has 1 year left on his deal, so we can't expose him in the expansion draft. We can sign someone to a cheap 2 year deal and stick him in the ECHL, or trade for someone at the deadline, but I'd rather just give Talbot a 2 year deal @ 1 mil per and kill 2 birds with one stone.
I get what you're saying, but it all comes down to what comes back with Raanta. In my case, I wouldn't be acquiring him to acquire him, I'd be doing it for whatever came with. The expansion problem can be solved by signing a journeyman to the AHL/ECHL.

If we're talking about a deal just for Raanta, then I'm not on board – unless a worse contract is going the other way, of course.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I have no idea if Hertl is available but if he was, my listening just perked up. Injury and all, he is the perfect number two center for this team.

definitely an interesting option...knee injury becomes less of a concern with next season being pushed back but it might drop the price. and not a bad contract for 2 years...

he has the offense, he's good on faceoffs...I don't watch him enough to judge him defensively and don't understand how to find fancy stats on it, but he plays a good amount of pk time and the sharks had the top pk

definitely checks alot of boxes IF the price is right...trade might cost too much though

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
there is a middle ground between going after a center just for his faceoff ability and faceoffs don't matter....it definitely shouldn't be the #1 criteria but if you are looking at 2 comparable centers and one of them is good on faceoffs, its a nice bonus to have.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
definitely an interesting option...knee injury becomes less of a concern with next season being pushed back but it might drop the price. and not a bad contract for 2 years...

he has the offense, he's good on faceoffs...I don't watch him enough to judge him defensively and don't understand how to find fancy stats on it, but he plays a good amount of pk time and the sharks had the top pk

definitely checks alot of boxes IF the price is right...trade might cost too much though

It seems like you're trying to weaponize cap space that we don't have.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
random thought: Buchnevich for Athanisiou?
or EDM reunites Dylan Strome and McD and they decide to trade for the set. Strome for Athanisiou.
You criticize me to no end yesterday about not providing enough substance behind my suggestions/ideas and then you throw this out there....

I mean the replies by others already does all the talking for me. But you really shouldve spent more time providing hard data to back this up since that’s what you expect of others.

:confused:o_O:eek:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Patience patience patience. Short term deals, see how the young guys fit in, trade for areas of need when the old guys are gone.....thats how this should play out.

Reactions: bl02

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
there is a middle ground between going after a center just for his faceoff ability and faceoffs don't matter....it definitely shouldn't be the #1 criteria but if you are looking at 2 comparable centers and one of them is good on faceoffs, its a nice bonus to have.
The issue is the center who is good at faceoffs will likely come at a cost disproportional to the value his brings over the first one.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It seems like you're trying to weaponize cap space that we don't have.

not really. it goes without saying that any scenario that you trade for him or another center should imply that strome is gone. you would be replacing strome's cap hit for a better player. and he is only signed for 2 years so there is no long term concerns if he doesn't work out.

also not sure how making a trade if a guy is available at the right price is 'weaponizing cap space'. we wouldn't be taking a bad contract back to gain an asset.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The issue is the center who is good at faceoffs will likely come at a cost disproportional to the value his brings over the first one.

why would he come at a higher cost if faceoffs don't matter or add value? can't have it both ways.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Im sure that has everything to do with their face off prowess and nothing to do with Pettersson/Horvat/Hughes beasting out. Flyers have been carried to this point by Hart and a ton of luck against Montreal.

A player's FO% will usually fluctuate year to year unless were talking about the top level guys. We should be looking for forwards who can PK, I'm in agreement there, but targeting a FO guy would be a huge mistake. Thats how you end up playing Nate Thompson over better players despite the fact that your team gets their face caved in when ever hes out there.

Jay Beagle is grossly overpaid and we would be livid if we had that contract right now.

Sidenote: I don't know what their game plan is moving forward, but would San Jose entertain moving Hertl?
His chronic knee injuries are very disconcerting.

Reactions: bl02

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It needs to be said, once again:

Face-offs only matter in single game sample sizes, and even then it's still not specific enough to matter. If you're looking at the season/career face-off statistics...don't bother because it's not informational unless it's an incredible outlier.

*cue the 2015 Caps Game 7 OT responses*

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No. I disagree with this.

You need to find a center that is good at faceoffs BUT is good at other stuff too. Specifically PKing would cover a lot of bases. Improving PK and getting better at faceoffs are both needed so find someone that can do both. I gave a very nice list a few pages back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad