Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome is fine for that role, but I wonder if we might cash in on him and replace him with a place holder who is more well rounded.

What about someone like Carl Soderberg? Does he still have enough in the tank? He had 35 points in 70 games last year, but Arizona can't score goals. We could likely sign him for relatively cheap.
I hear you. But what you don't want is for someone not to mesh with Panarin. Having Panarin and ZBad deployed on two different lines is a huge weapon. We KNOW that Strome meshes well with him and know exactly what his role is.

Reactions: MrAlmost

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I hear you. But what you don't want is for someone not to mesh with Panarin. Having Panarin and ZBad deployed on two different lines is a huge weapon. We KNOW that Strome meshes well with him and know exactly what his role is.

That's definitely a consideration, but we'll need to test the theory at some point in the near future, whether it's Chytil or someone else.

TopShelf86

Aug 16, 2020
I dont see any problem with hanging onto Strome in the short term while Chytil develops at 3C to become 2C

In the meantime Strome increases trade value and maybe get a late first at the deadline for him

Also in the meantime, the Rangers can wait for a deal they REALLY love instead of forcing the 2C issue. A deal that would force them to not put Chytil at 2C

There's no reason to rush any of this if we can retain Strome at a reasonable price for a season or 2....Chytils gotta get his minutes in tho

But I also think Chytil put between Panarin and Kakko is a good chance of working out.
He just needs to get better on faceoffs and make sure he takes care of centermen duties.

Reactions: bl02 and JCProdigy

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Nyr acquires- d jacob chychrun and c christian dvorak
Arizona acquires-
D tony deangelo
C ryan strome

Yes, no?

Call me crazy but I think the value is not terrible. If anything I expect AZ to balk a bit.

Though at the end of the day AZ trading two core roster pieces for RFAs they will have to pay $$ to makes zero sense. If either of those Yotes gets dealt it will be for picks/prospects or NHLers with good term attached.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
That Arizona trade fills alot of needs for the Rangers but I can't imagine Arizona would do it.

One I'd assume Arizona is not in a rush to re-acquire DeAngelo after trading him. Two I'd be skeptical on their interest in Strome considering they dumped his slightly more talented brother who plays an identical game. And three, even if they were interested in those guys, Strome and Tony would be significantly more expensive than Dvorak and Chychrun

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Strome is fine for that role, but I wonder if we might cash in on him and replace him with a place holder who is more well rounded.

What about someone like Carl Soderberg? Does he still have enough in the tank? He had 35 points in 70 games last year, but Arizona can't score goals. We could likely sign him for relatively cheap.

Two points:

1. The level of return in "cashing in on Strome" likely won't be impacted whether it's taking place this offseason or at TDL, etc, unless we're talking a CRAZY return which is something I'd like not to use in the discussion.

2. "Well rounded" is a fine concept but any changes come with a degree of uncertainty that it wouldn't work out. If the second line production will be undermined because there's very little with Panarin - it will have multiple unwanted impacts trickled down the whole lineup including for example impact Chytil's utilization.

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Trade Georgiev, sign Raanta - why? Arizona won't agree to keep 50% of his salary for no consideration. I think on the net this exchange would cost assets to NYR.
Arizona will be dumping salary. He wouldn't cost much, perhaps a 4th or 5th or a lower level prospect. There are some ifs in this equation but it’s something to keep in mind as circumstances change.

Reactions: kovazub94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Chiarelli forgot about defense firstly and adding Lucic at his cap isn't helpful in any regard especially on a team with so much invested in their top two stars. I do think Kassian has certainly helped a lot, and Maroon ended up being an integral part of the St.Louis Cup win, Kharia isn't much outside of big. You still have to be able to play hockey and retrieve the puck on the dump and drive the net, its no good to be big and bad at puck battles, i mean you dont even have to be big, Marchand or Gallagher are good examples of being that style of player, its more about will to win and being good at the hard parts of the game. This is where analytics fail in hockey, the regular season and playoffs are almost two different sports in how they are played, the speed of it and the aggressiveness of it. Its great to have skill everywhere but as i always tell the players, "Hard work will beat skill when skill doesn't work hard". St.louis last year and Columbus and the Islanders are good examples of this.

St Louis Last year:

10th in CF
5th in xGF%

Note: They got off to a horrid start due to injuries and Allen. The upswing we saw the 2nd half of the year boosted their numbers and overall performance to the point where they almost came back to win their division. The analytics suggested that they were a contender to come out of the west (3rd overall in their conference.)

CBJ lost in the 2nd round last year and we'll see what the Islanders do.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's definitely a consideration, but we'll need to test the theory at some point in the near future, whether it's Chytil or someone else.
I do not disagree. My thought is that it need not be now or in the immediate near future. We know for certain that this works. They can take some time to see if a) Chytil continues to develop into that player or b) he does not continue to develop into that player (or moves to wing) and what the trade market holds.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I dont see any problem with hanging onto Strome in the short term while Chytil develops at 3C to become 2C

In the meantime Strome increases trade value and maybe get a late first at the deadline for him

Also in the meantime, the Rangers can wait for a deal they REALLY love instead of forcing the 2C issue. A deal that would force them to not put Chytil at 2C

There's no reason to rush any of this if we can retain Strome at a reasonable price for a season or 2....Chytils gotta get his minutes in tho

But I also think Chytil put between Panarin and Kakko is a good chance of working out.
He just needs to get better on faceoffs and make sure he takes care of centermen duties.

Agreed on all of the above except Rangers trading Strome at the deadline. Just hope we are in serious playoff contention or better at the TDL. If not that would mean several guys have taken a step back. I would hope at this point after winning the lottery there should be no doubts about wanting to make the playoffs and get some real experience for guys like Chytil, Fox, Shesty etc.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

From what i saw of Soderberg this postseason it looked like his tank was emptying fast. I still laugh at colorado fans saying he was better than Hayes. Anyway, just the eye test but I would pass on Soderberg. Plus damn didn't realize he's 35.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Starting to not love the C options I’m hearing and would live w Strome on a 2 yr deal which exposes him in expansion so no no trade

i can't see us exposing him, we won't have an issue finding a forward to meet the requirements (like on d) and after another year with Panarin his value would be too high. if he signs for 2 years you'd either protect him or trade him before that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
i can't see us exposing him, we won't have an issue finding a forward to meet the requirements (like on d) and after another year with Panarin his value would be too high. if he signs for 2 years you'd either protect him or trade him before that.

It's not that we'll have trouble finding players to meet the requirements, but rather that we have limited protection slots.

Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Buch, Chytil, Strome. That's 6. We could then protect 1 of Lemieux, Howden, Gauthier and Fast (if re-signed).

If we are protecting Strome just so we can trade him, I'd rather just trade him before then and protect someone else. Say we don't re-sign Fast. We protect 2 of Lemieux, Howden and Gauthier, then expose the other along with Strome. If they take Strome, we clear cap space and lose a player we didn't want long term anyway. Otherwise, they take the odd man out, but at least we protected the players we wanted, and we can still trade Strome.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It's not that we'll have trouble finding players to meet the requirements, but rather that we have limited protection slots.

Panarin, Kreider, Zib, Buch, Chytil, Strome. That's 6. We could then protect 1 of Lemieux, Howden, Gauthier and Fast (if re-signed).

If we are protecting Strome just so we can trade him, I'd rather just trade him before then and protect someone else. Say we don't re-sign Fast. We protect 2 of Lemieux, Howden and Gauthier, then expose the other along with Strome. If they take Strome, we clear cap space and lose a player we didn't want long term anyway. Otherwise, they take the odd man out, but at least we protected the players we wanted, and we can still trade Strome.

I would trade him if those other guys improve and warrant protection...especially after another year with panarin, he probably returns a 1st or close value-wise. so if you don't want to protect him, I'd treat him like an expiring UFA...definitely not something i'd lose sleep over, just think it would be better asset management.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
St Louis Last year:

10th in CF
5th in xGF%

Note: They got off to a horrid start due to injuries and Allen. The upswing we saw the 2nd half of the year boosted their numbers and overall performance to the point where they almost came back to win their division. The analytics suggested that they were a contender to come out of the west (3rd overall in their conference.)

CBJ lost in the 2nd round last year and we'll see what the Islanders do.

Yes but it wasn't built on puck possession is the original point, its nice when analytics suggest a team is good but the fact they were good was based on a dump and retrieve and physical will to win, not the possession game that the analytic world likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad