Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Depends. I’m not saying I’d rather have Nate Thompson than Brayden Point.

What I am saying is that this is an interesting view. The Flyers and the Canucks for example have overachieved. Philly has 2 of the top 5 guys on this list. The Canucks have 3 of the top 7! Obvious Giroux and Couturier types don’t grow on trees but why can’t the Rangers find a guy like Jay Beagle? This stuff helps.

These are marginal gains that the Rangers are not doing well that could make a big impact. The Rangers had ZERO players win over 50% on their draws. Improving faceoffs and the PK are two areas that can be solved without breaking the bank

Im sure that has everything to do with their face off prowess and nothing to do with Pettersson/Horvat/Hughes beasting out. Flyers have been carried to this point by Hart and a ton of luck against Montreal.

A player's FO% will usually fluctuate year to year unless were talking about the top level guys. We should be looking for forwards who can PK, I'm in agreement there, but targeting a FO guy would be a huge mistake. Thats how you end up playing Nate Thompson over better players despite the fact that your team gets their face caved in when ever hes out there.

Jay Beagle is grossly overpaid and we would be livid if we had that contract right now.

Sidenote: I don't know what their game plan is moving forward, but would San Jose entertain moving Hertl?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Im sure that has everything to do with their face off prowess and nothing to do with Pettersson/Horvat/Hughes beasting out. Flyers have been carried to this point by Hart and a ton of luck against Montreal.

A player's FO% will usually fluctuate year to year unless were talking about the top level guys. We should be looking for forwards who can PK, I'm in agreement there, but targeting a FO guy would be a huge mistake. Thats how you end up playing Nate Thompson over better players despite the fact that your team gets their face caved in when ever hes out there.

Jay Beagle is grossly overpaid and we would be livid if we had that contract right now.

Sidenote: I don't know what their game plan is moving forward, but would San Jose entertain moving Hertl?

They might but I'm thinking they would want a very good roster player and one really really good or two very good assets. Kind of like Buchnevich and our Carolina 1st. They need more young pieces IMO and if they can turn one into two or three that should work for them. Then again I'm not Doug Wilson and I don't think Wilson is a particularly shrewd NHL GM.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Horvat is on that list! As I said, marginal gains have allowed the Canucks to over achieve. Obviously you need that elite talent too, but the Canucks have three lines than win the major y of their faceoffs. That’s huge. Do we not think that helps Hughes our? Having the puck come to him off the draw more than it doesn’t? That helps set up their game.

PK and faceoffs are both priorities. It’s not necessarily one or the other. That’s why I found some players that did both. Marginal gains to improve the team without hurting the cap or impacting the expansion draft is attainable. Including Lafreniere, the Rangers probably have 9 forward spots that they have to commit to bodies at a minimum, and those players Don’t improve the Rangers weaknesses. With a limited number of spots, need to narrow the pool a bit.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They might but I'm thinking they would want a very good roster player and one really really good or two very good assets. Kind of like Buchnevich and our Carolina 1st. They need more young pieces IMO and if they can turn one into two or three that should work for them. Then again I'm not Doug Wilson and I don't think Wilson is a particularly shrewd NHL GM.

If thats all it takes I'll carry Buchnevich to San Jose my self and then bring Hertl back.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

They'd want Buch/Strome, Georgiev, Lundkvist/Miller, and a 1st for him, minimum

(or at least that's my read from main boards & armchair gm threads on capfriendly)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Horvat is on that list! As I said, marginal gains have allowed the Canucks to over achieve. Obviously you need that elite talent too, but the Canucks have three lines than win the major y of their faceoffs. That’s huge. Do we not think that helps Hughes our? Having the puck come to him off the draw more than it doesn’t? That helps set up their game.

PK and faceoffs are both priorities. It’s not necessarily one or the other. That’s why I found some players that did both. Marginal gains to improve the team without hurting the cap or impacting the expansion draft is attainable. Including Lafreniere, the Rangers probably have 9 forward spots that they have to commit to bodies at a minimum, and those players Don’t improve the Rangers weaknesses. With a limited number of spots, need to narrow the pool a bit.
Faceoffs wins have a negative correlation to winning, because they are overvalued and Jay Beagle's $3 million is a perfect example of it. The Rangers were a great faceoff team in the dark ages!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Has Horvats performance been based off of what he’s doing in the face off dot or everything else that happens after?

if you can help the PK and the FO with one player, I say have at it. They’re not super important outside of the PP and the PK.

I don’t want to sign a guy who wins face offs but sucks at everything else. Those guys don’t help you.

Reactions: Thirty One

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They'd want Buch/Strome, Georgiev, Lundkvist/Miller, and a 1st for him, minimum

(or at least that's my read from main boards & armchair gm threads on capfriendly)

Done
Done
Not done
Done

Hes a great player, but he's had his knee operated on twice (is it three times?) already. Theres risk involved there and not one that I'm paying top dollar for.

Want Buch/Strome, Geo and a 1st? I'm game.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
One guy who is almost certain to get moved in Arizona is Antti Raanta. If Lundqvist is moved out and Georgiev is traded, I could see him as a potential backup for the Rangers. He's had some health issues in AZ but he has played very well when he is healthy. $4,25MM @ 50%?

Whoa there fella. I brought up Raanta yesterday. No stealing my scoop. :laugh:

Though to be fair I was wondering if taking Raanta in a deal for Dvorak might make him a little cheaper to acquire.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Not sure if he's available, but Hertl would be exactly the type of player this team needs. He's the DEFINITION of difficult to play against. I can't think of many players that are harder to separate from the puck than Hertl is. Imagine him & Laf on the same line...the puck possession time would be outrageous.

Reactions: leetch99

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Has Horvats performance been based off of what he’s doing in the face off dot or everything else that happens after?

if you can help the PK and the FO with one player, I say have at it. They’re not super important outside of the PP and the PK.

I don’t want to sign a guy who wins face offs but sucks at everything else. Those guys don’t help you.
Which is why I made a list of people who win faceoffs and help on the penalty kill. People are just weirdly fixated on Jay Beagle.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The Rangers have, arguably, three starting goalies and they're going to bring back Raanta? Come on. I'll eat crow if this happens but I don't see it.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Hertl had a terrible knee injury. His value would be way down on my list. He would be a great second center for us if he's healthy but that is far from a guarantee.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Which is why I made a list of people who win faceoffs and help on the penalty kill. People are just weirdly fixated on Jay Beagle.

Maybe because you said this?

why can’t the Rangers find a guy like Jay Beagle?

Honestly, I'd much rather add someone like Johan Larsson (his face off% has been all over the map) who provides positives in many different different areas and can take tough defensive assignments 5v5. He shouldn't be too expensive.

For better or for worse, our PK improvements are going to have to come internally for the most part. If we can add a useful player who can also be a net positive at even strength while improving those other areas I'm game.

Plus having a full year of Shesty will help the PK more than anything.

Reactions: AB13

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Faceoffs wins have a negative correlation to winning, because they are overvalued and Jay Beagle's $3 million is a perfect example of it. The Rangers were a great faceoff team in the dark ages!
This is a hilarious point, and probably true in some cases (like the Preds shelling out for Paul Gaustad).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This is a hilarious point, and probably true in some cases (like the Preds shelling out for Paul Gaustad).
Yeah, in some cases teams are willing to overlook a hell of a lot chasing that extra 1 out of 20 faceoffs.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
random thought: Buchnevich for Athanisiou?
or EDM reunites Dylan Strome and McD and they decide to trade for the set. Strome for Athanisiou.
I think it was reported or at least heavily rumored that Edmonton isn't even going to qualify Athanisiou, so he'll be a UFA whenever free agency starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad