Roster Building thread - Part IX - (2024 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
How many time has any team won the cup after trading away assets and draft picks?! This is a ridiculous point only one team wins the cup every year.
And pretty near every contender trades at the deadline. I wanted us to hold back the last couple years but its time to go ahead and make moves as long as they dont have Othmann and Perrault in them.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Drury is likely adding C, RW and depth D at the deadline. I want to see Edstrom stay on the 4th line with Goodrow and Vesey. Brodz can be the 13F and Rempe can go back to playing 14 minutes in Hartford.

The 4th line goals the past two games are the type that win tight playoff games. The size speed and crease crashing will make a difference
You talk about size and speed and 4th line goals and then you want to send Rempe down. He has size and speed and was part of why the 4th line scored goals the last 2 games. Keep him up here right now.

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
You talk about size and speed and 4th line goals and then you want to send Rempe down. He has size and speed and was part of why the 4th line scored goals the last 2 games. Keep him up here right now.
I agree but Goodrow and Vesey aren’t sitting. Barring injury I want Rempe to get more minutes and definitely not sitting

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rangers allegedly scouting Nashville. Another team I could see selling despite being in a playoff spot. I like Trenin and Nyquist enough. Novak im not sure is any better than Brodzinski. I think we matchup well in a trade with them

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers allegedly scouting Nashville. Another team I could see selling despite being in a playoff spot. I like Trenin and Nyquist enough. Novak im not sure is any better than Brodzinski. I think we matchup well in a trade with them

Trenin would be a tremendous Goodrow replacement.

Lavi loves his trusty vets though so someone else would be coming out.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Is it legit though? This is reminiscent of the "YOU ARE YOUR RECORD" arguments from the 2012 team which also had the best record in the EC (and ironically enough Vancouver was the best in the West and won the presidents) but many of us argued weren't good enough to win the 'Cup without Lundqvist going absolute god mode. They had two grueling series against Ottawa and Washington, particularly the Ottawa series was bad. This team is on track for the same fate. they may squeak through 2 rounds but if they do it's likely they get smoked in the ECF. Spending any significant assets will likely be throwing them in the trash because I don't think this team is one piece away from having the depth for the playoffs, it's closer to 3. Can Drury fill three holes with good players without selling the farm? I wouldn't spend anything other than mid-late round picks and expendable prospects like Jones trying to find value players that aren't the big fish, but could be enough to make them more competitive.
Do we have to go back that far to 2012? This has pretty much been the Rangers every year they have made the playoffs with a couple exceptions since 2012. Specifically 2014. They enter the playoffs with a good record but then are completely outclassed in a playoff series by a team that plays the game t a higher level than them at 5v5. They might squeeze out a series win somehow, either by the goaltender playing out of his mind or the PP going beserk. But it’s the same story over and over and every year on this board people try to convince people who are extremely skeptical that this team is legit despite the repeated signals that they are frauds. Unfortunately this year looks all the same. Sure they might win a round, maybe 2, but it won’t be because they are the better team.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Do we have to go back that far to 2012? This has pretty much been the Rangers every year they have made the playoffs with a couple exceptions since 2012. Specifically 2014. They enter the playoffs with a good record but then are completely outclassed in a playoff series by a team that plays the game t a higher level than them at 5v5. They might squeeze out a series win somehow, either by the goaltender playing out of his mind or the PP going beserk. But it’s the same story over and over and every year on this board people try to convince people who are extremely skeptical that this team is legit despite the repeated signals that they are frauds. Unfortunately this year looks all the same. Sure they might win a round, maybe 2, but it won’t be because they are the better team.

The problem isn't being skeptical. The problem is giving up. The team has great special teams and isn't good enough 5v5? That's why you go out and get players to get better. If the team was already perfect then there would be no need to add anyone. Not to mention, given the nature of hockey, in the absolute worst case scenario they would still be like 40% to win any series. There is also extreme overrating of our mid tier prospects like Bedard/Sykora. They are nice prospects but everyone has guys like them.

• Love
Reactions: Daves a mess

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Since Brodz has played well i think it would be good to bring in another depth forward who can play both the wing and center, for depth.

Ideally if you can find a RW for Mika, then Vesey can slide down back to the 4th and now you are looking at adding another complimentary 3rd line winger/center who can jump in for Brodz - sending him to the 4th with Goodrow and Vesey - or leave the 3rd line alone and add to the 4th.

Ideally this would be a player whos better than Brodz and can play in his position, but he needs to be able to skate and cover ice like he does- Having the flexibility to jump in as a center removes the potential need for Goodrow to play up and thats something they should avoid.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How many time has any team won the cup after trading away assets and draft picks?! This is a ridiculous point only one team wins the cup every year.
Actually, you're strengthening my point. If all of these teams do it and don't get the associated results, then maybe it isn't that good of an idea.

Let the other teams spend 1st round picks on the Monahans and Henriques. Let's not waste our assets on Vatrano. Let's do what we did a couple years ago and find the next Vatrano. His impact was every bit as big as either Tarasenko or Kane last year, yet he cost far less to acquire.

Teams win by being smart, not by spending the most.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Since Brodz has played well i think it would be good to bring in another depth forward who can play both the wing and center, for depth.

Ideally if you can find a RW for Mika, then Vesey can slide down back to the 4th and now you are looking at adding another complimentary 3rd line winger/center who can jump in for Brodz - sending him to the 4th with Goodrow and Vesey - or leave the 3rd line alone and add to the 4th.

Ideally this would be a player whos better than Brodz and can play in his position, but he needs to be able to skate and cover ice like he does- Having the flexibility to jump in as a center removes the potential need for Goodrow to play up and thats something they should avoid.

I like Wennberg in the 3C spot. He is just a more reliable and skilled player than Jonny B. I think a guy who can keep the play moving better than Brodz would further elevate Kakko and Cuylle. The cost cant be that high and we need depth at C regardless.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Because nobody is convinced this team has a chance to win the Cup.
That’s not true. Stanley Cup win is always a perfect storm of various positive factors. E.g. Kreider and Zibanejad starting to play better - at the levels they were capable of pretty recently and for a long stretches of time. A few weeks ago we talked about the team having virtually no chance at the Cup if Shesterkin would continue to struggle. We’re not talking about it anymore because Shesterkin regained his form.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Tommy Novak would actually be one of the few players I'd be willing to splurge for if an extension is in place. He's tracking for +50 points this year, ~70 the year prior. Doesn't even play a huge role. He's in an interesting spot because he'll be 27 in April but this is only his 2nd fullish season. Look at Verhaeghe, very very similar sort of situation. Late bloomers, neither really establish themselves until ~25. Carter got a couple good seasons under his belt and got a mid level deal, ~4 mil per, 3 years. So I wouldn't be surprised if Novaks next deal looks similar to Chytil and Verhaeghe's. He's done enough to get that mid level deal but doesn't have enough under his belt to get that big top 6 contract. So it's something that works for us this season and likely could fit for future seasons. Possible Chytil replacement or try him on that Mika line

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
team is going to get a c, rw, and a d. brodzinski cannot be a top 9 center in a playoff run, he is the guy that steps in for an injury. we have guys that can play up in a lineup when needed, but to win you need those guys in the best roles so they can support when needed, not reply on those guys in order to try to win.

also, love having elc bottom 6-ers, but it isnt as important in the coming years as it has been the last few years. it is still a huge plus but with the cap starting to breathe it isnt what it was. people here are worried about keeping every damn prospect, but we wont event have room for all these players down the line, we can move some of them for a center, and especially for one with some term. the org would be foolish to rely on chytil health wise moving forward. we have a gaping hole in the c area now and for the future. if you find the right player you make the move to land the player. the only true untouchable right now should be gabe. otter should be a guy you dont want to move but would for the perfect deal.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Drury wasn’t going to take a chance on Kane with the limited money he had. Easy to monday morning QB today but at the time can’t blame him. Still can’t. Guys hip could go out any minute. Drury wants a guy to win 16 playoff games. If Kane took league minimum he would have been back but he wanted more than that.

Pretty crazy though we’ve only got 3 more games before the deadline. It’s around the corner. Something could go down today or tomorrow
Listen this is a fair side of the argument to not sign him. And sure there may be some Monday Morning QBing going on, but I believed in Kane from the start. Yes, his hip could still fail him. But I was banking on, as I have said all along, the history of this guy being the ultimate competitor and working his way back to at least be viable for this year and playoff stretch. Maybe his hip falls apart next year or the following year.

It will be interesting to see what Drury does. I am all in on Gourde/Eberle package

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why does a line with a 61% GF% that has done it for about 8 years need to be fixed?
Touché but don’t tell me you think they’re playing at the ES historical levels this season. Maybe they do based on your fancy numbers but surely not to the eye test. Can they get back to it. I’m positive and sure hope so.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here, have three years of Laughton just because I'm in a bad mood and I want to spread the carnage.

View attachment 825489
View attachment 825490
View attachment 825491
He's usually not as a bad as he is this year, and I think Torts feeds into his worst habits, but he was never good.

I went off about this the other day: Laughton is a high-energy guy and he's very noticeable. He makes some impact plays and people notice him making impact plays.

The problem is that he runs around the ice like a Roomba and has never been in position in his career.

Trouba has single-digit numbers for the same reason. It's like five guys versus four guys and wherever Trouba feels like running. Imagine if we got Laughton and they played at the same time. It would be pretty close to killing a penalty at 5v5.

Thank you

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Unless a TDL acquisition is going to fix one of our 4 big issues at 5v5 (Goodrow, Zibanejad, Lindgren, Trouba), it’s essentially just changing the deck chairs on the Titanic. And that’s not something you need to pay to do.

Reactions: Galvatron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad