Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIII: Smell a smaller trade incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I have been a huge advocate for Lindholm. I would pay a nice price to obtain him, not Eichel level, but I would pay.

And the reason being is he is a premium #2C option. He can excel in that role here. And it doesn’t complete take us out of adding a 1C, whether it be Eichel or someone else, while providing us insurance moving forward in case we have to trade Zib for a young C that still needs time to develop.

I would be calling Calgary every day about Lindholm. And I would settle for Monahan at a “lesser” cost too. Another C with some term and a manageable cap hit. Not as good a 2-way player but can provide you that 2C stability.

He’s also like top 7 in face off percentage and top 7 in face offs taken, so he’s actually a reliable option. I’d love him as our 2C behind an eventual bonafide star center or in an A/B tandem with a bounce back Zibanejad.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Well Calgary fired their coach. There’s step 2 on the shake it up playbook. Step 1 was waiving an overpaid 4th liner than plays 9 mins a game as if that will fix it.

need some more shit results before we get to step 3 - trading meaningful players.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Yeah. Unless the GM is named Chiarelli, teams aren't trading away a top prospect for a center who takes up 12% of the salary cap for 5 more years with a flat cap for at least 2 of those years
And they already have a 10 million dollar center in Kopitar for the next 3 1/2 years.

trading for another 10 million dollar player plus sending a cost controlled young center the other direction? No chance

Last edited:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Why not instead try to trade with LA for one of their many young C prospects (offseason) for a good NYR D prospect/futures? Try to keep our 1st rounder in 2021 (hopefully a good C then also falls into our laps). Hope that Zib picks up his game. Then, if the stars then align - try to get another young C outta Vegas. THey are all in now. Even sign a stopgap VET UFA C this offseason - if deemed necessary. I personally like a guy like Lowry in the Peg. Chytil/Strome/Vegas trade/LA trade/2021 1st round draft pick/Vet C/Barron down the middle = likely an overkill = but then with assets enough to upgrade the roster further. Use pieces like Howden/Gauthier/Henriksson/Hajek/Lindbom now to get a couple other reclamation projects for toughening up the bottom 6 (Bennett, Virtanen...). I dunno...

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why not instead try to trade with LA for one of their many young C prospects (offseason) for a good NYR D prospect/futures? Try to keep our 1st rounder in 2021 (hopefully a good C then also falls into our laps). Hope that Zib picks up his game. Then, if the stars then align - try to get another young C outta Vegas. THey are all in now. Even sign a stopgap VET UFA C this offseason- if deemed necessary. Chytil/Strome/Vegas trade/LA trade/Vet C/Barron down the middle = likely an overkill = but then with assets enough to upgrade further. I dunno...

Vegas has to figure out some cap stuff. But I would 100 percent keep an eye on that direction concerning Zibanejad interest/talks/speculation.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Well Calgary fired their coach. There’s step 2 on the shake it up playbook. Step 1 was waiving an overpaid 4th liner than plays 9 mins a game as if that will fix it.

need some more shit results before we get to step 3 - trading meaningful players.
Think Trevliving will be fired before they start trading meaningful players there

which could be the summer, and then we see the new GM moving guys

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Is Vegas desperate enough to win to move someone like Glass for one year of Zibanejad?

I have no idea but I would assume no

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Is Vegas desperate enough to win to move someone like Glass for one year of Zibanejad?

I realize this doesn't always affect value in a huge way but sometimes teams trade for a player with the assumption that they'll get first bid on a fair contract extension.

It's why trading pieces for negotiation rights, like Buffalo did for Vesey, is still a thing.

I would have to imagine any team trading for Zibby would be doing so in hopes that he regains his form and that they would be first in line for a contract extension.

On discussions of Chytil- I think he looks like a bigger Duchene/Straka. A puck lugger. And that actually could be really helpful on a line between Lafreniere and Kakko moving forward, neither of whom are known primarily for their transition game. Food for thought.

Lafreniere-Chytil-Kakko could be a hell of a line for 15 years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In season or offseason?

Offseason.

I think there are going to be teams who want to see how revenue streams open up, how contracts come off the books, etc. before making major moves.

My best guess is we aren't going to see huge blockbusters the remainder of this season, but teams could re-visit talks later.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

You are likely right there. But a hopefully rejeuvantated Zib (with some $$ retained) - also available for 2 Cup runs is a different story altogether IMO.But that might not be doable. Time will tell

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Zibs at 50% for Krebs is enticing.

Zibs can get his no state tax contract.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
What are you thinking? A Nils/Alex Turcotte type swap?

IIRC, the fans on hfb seem to be looking for LD, which leaves us at Robertson, Jones, and Miller.

Robertson and Jones won't get it done and I don't think we part with Miller any time soon so...

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Offseason.

I think there are going to be teams who want to see how revenue streams open up, how contracts come off the books, etc. before making major moves.

My best guess is we aren't going to see huge blockbusters the remainder of this season, but teams could re-visit talks later.
I think that would make Zibanejad even more appealing this summer. His salary next year is (slightly) lower than his cap it, and at 50% retention he could be a real hot commodity for contenders with some cap and cash flow issues.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

This would definitely be my target as well. We missed by 1 pick from getting him in the draft and if I remember correctly, they were very high on him. Having Glass and Chytil being the long term 1-2 combo down the middle could be good, or of course, they could just try and flip Glass in a move for Eichel. Would be the center prospect that the Sabres would be looking for in return and is better than any of the other realistic options LA could present for Buffalo (LA is not going to move Byfield).

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Will get very interesting (and crowded) when Kravtsov arrives:

Bread - Mika - Buch
Kreider - Strome - Kakko
Laf - Chytil - Gauthier/Blackwell
Lemieux - Rooney/Howden - PDG

Also becoming clearer and clearer that the risk of paying out bonus overages to NYR players on ELC:s, that will defer above the actual cap hits resulting in carry over penalties for next season, is NOT Going to happen = CAPSPACE!

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad