Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Rangers: both nefarious against their own players and really slow and easily distracted.

They wanted Lemieux out despite the best interest of the team bc of his friendship with ADA but OOH LOOK SHINY damn forgot to trade him for 50 f***ing games.

ADA talk gives people brain worms. Myself included.
Nah, I think it’s more of moving lemmy out to try and keep a unhappy room more even keeled even though it made the team lose more of its moxy. At the time probably the best of bad decisions. Not a lot of options

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's funny because Sully has clearly grown into one of the better coaches around, and likely so will DQ. For all the hate he gets around here, he is young and will likely have a long and succesful career coaching in this league.
Good point. Whether or not he’s the right guy right now, he probably ends up as quite a successful coach.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
We have half the roster at like 20 years old, they were all going after Claudia so Gorton removed the distraction.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Because he was closest to him in the locker room and it was causing friction would be my guess. Carp seems to be implying its something more significant than just cursing at a coach even. Doubt we will ever know the truth though
I’m going to speculate some fun stuff and say Lemmy slept with someone’s wife or whatever. Probably far from the truth but im going to keep it simple in my head.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly, if we were just a better team and some guys fought unimportant fights then we beat them handily in an important game after the Wilson hit would anyone care about physicality? There is no deterring Wilson, Martin etc. Making big moves based on that is a big waste of time, energy and likely cap space. Nobody is “doing damage” in an NHL officiated fights outside of cases of particularly bad dumb luck. The team needs to be heavier and tighter just to play good hockey but overcorrecting to try to add fighters is a waste
I think the toughness issue is more a response to the Islanders than to the Caps, really. Agreed there’s no way to deter a psycho. And I think everyone understands that. But we need to be able to play that north-south game. Because a team like the Isles totally neutralizes out east-west play. It’s that simple. We need to be able to do both.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It’s not only that Ola, you are correct but when teams play the rangers and win, shit embarrass us even it’s a big moral victory for them. NYR is on top of the mountain, whether we are rebuilding or not even bad teams come out playing with their best at us. We are a target. Much like the leafs. That’s why when I complain about the constant lack of effort and heartless robotic play it’s vital to have that NY attitude. We lost a lot of it when we lost ADA. It’s not just his offense on the backend. It’s that big swinging dick come and get it brashness that this team needs night in and night out whether we’re the youngest or oldest team in the league.
Teams need guys that stick up for each other, play bigger on the ice when they are on the team, it’s important knowing that if the shit goes down they have your back. Every team I have ever played for, you take a shot at one of mine I’m coming for 2 of yours. It’s severely lacking here for 2 seasons now
I think this is true and also not a huge sea change. It just takes a couple guys like McQuaid, like Clowe. Guys that make the rest of the lineup stand taller. And I think JG and JD understand that. And they were hoping to grow it internally and maybe add a couple more pieces strategically. Which is why the firing still has be baffled. I really believe that had the Isles games and the psycho episode not happened we’re still on the original course. And probably tougher next season. How bizarre and untimely the last ten-14 days were.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I’m guessing the team was way more split on the Georgiev/ ADA confrontation that were ever going to know. Quinn asked Gorts to get rid of both players instead of having the room fractured the entire season. Things kept getting worse, lemmy is eventually shipped out as well, leaving the rangers without 2 of the main guys that gave the team their instigating, chippy, swagger and it was never really replaced

If this is true, and the room was divided up it’s something that a leader handles immediately. The room had leaders. This didn’t get handled. Management did.

Now management is gone.

Moving forward, without a leader I would assume they are completely vulnerable of this happening again. That’s what happens when a guy with the C doesn’t have the room. Or...what happens when nobody has the C. I’ve yet to see that the lead by committee thing works. I know there are a lot of advocates for it. Just haven’t really seen it work for this team, like..Ever!

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I think it's more likely that Claude Lemieux was difficult to deal with. He is highly vocal about clients that he didn't raise. Probably blowing up Gorton's phone constantly.

Reactions: ArPanet

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If Buch is willing to sign without a full NTC/NMC that would be amazing. We won’t have to trade him until it’s absolutely necessary. We might get the same return we’d get right now, then again, we might. And we’d keep a skilled forward who while not a bruiser, won’t take any shit. Those kinds of forwards are in short supply on this team at the moment.
Buch to me is one of those guys, like a Nimmo or Conforto on the Mets, who despite being pros, work work work on their weaknesses and actually show marked improvement year to year. I’m not talking about natural development. I’m talking about working on different areas of their games. That one timer in the last Bruins game is something Buch never had up until this year. The physicality has improved. The ability to actually command space. All new. So impressive to me. 18 months ago I had written off Buch as a passenger. A complimentary player. But now I’d love the Rangers to keep him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It makes me sick to my stomach that this may have been Buchnevich’s last game. But if that’s what it takes for Kakko and Kravtsov to get consistent ice time and develop properly, I’ll just have to accept it. Just wish Kravtsov was experimented at center a bit more.

I love Buch too, objectively arguments to deal him can of course be made but he would still be missed.

With that said -- remember that (a) Drury is only human and (b) NHL GMs are extremely extremely flat. I've made posts on this before and don't remember the exact details (and the history seems to be removed from HF data base, lucky for everyone who loves to have a firm opinon and tell others to shut it, unfortunate for the rest of us) -- but yearly in this league you got maybe 5-10 more significant "hockey trades" or something like that, i.e. not including rentals or fringe NHLers. Can Drury make 2-3 of those 5-10 happen? Maybe, look he got the mandate to make changes and won't be held accountable if a deal looks less than stellar in a few years if it corrected a weakness on the team.

But, its not as easy that he automatically can just look at Buch and see a lot of objective value and then transform that into what this team lacks in other areas. Could be that he basically just is offered crap contracts in return for Buch, because the market just is dead.

I have a few beefs with Gorton that in my mind was significant. DQ, how he lost focus and prioritized wrong re the team on the ice (for example left it without any kind of grit and leadership in order to work with projects that potentially could build up value and turn into a 2nd round pick or two down the road), and not the least how he obviously really thrived for uniformity in terms of character on the roster and chalked down anyone with a different type of personality as a big negative. BUT, what Gorton probably is a top 3 GM at in the entire league was pursuing deals. Massaging his colleges to ensure that deals could be made. It is easy to look past that, but soooo many GMs have even been able to sell of rentals at the deadline, that obviously would walk with nothing in return at July 1 and their teams out of the POs. Not to mention that they have been unable to correct issues or make changes.

This is definitely a huge challenge for Drury. I mean, Drury can work really hard this off season and still stand there in October without a single little bit more significant change (like trading any of the top 10 forwards), if he doesn't sign a UFA. Which per definition almost always is a bad idea. You will only get a UFA if you basically outbid 31 other teams, its hard to sign someone to a good deal under those conditions.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Sorry if I missed it, but have Edge, Bob, RangerBoy or any of our other resident insiders provided the inside details on the dismissals of JD and Gorton and have they commented on whether Quinn will be back? I know a lot of people are positing that he won't be back based on Drury's ambiguous comments, but did any of the insiders say anything?
RB has publicly stated that Gallant is the best choice for NY .

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Buch to me is one of those guys, like a Nimmo or Conforto on the Mets, who despite being pros, work work work on their weaknesses and actually show marked improvement year to year. I’m not talking about natural development. I’m talking about working on different areas of their games. That one timer in the last Bruins game is something Buch never had up until this year. The physicality has improved. The ability to actually command space. All new. So impressive to me. 18 months ago I had written off Buch. But now I’d love the Rangers to keep him.

Yeah, Kreider, Buch and Ziba is a group that has come together and really pushed each other and developed really well. Its easy to forget that Ziba is one of the most improved players the last 4-5 years. They are constantly chatting, improving, working on their game, pushing each other. Its definitely something you want to rub of on Kravy, Kakko and co.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gerard Gallant should be the guy. He had young players in Florida. Huberdeau was in his 3rd NHL season when Gallant took over in 14-15. Barkov was in his 2nd NHL season. Rookie season for Ekblad. Second full season for Bjugstad. Trocheck was a young player and he played 50 NHL games that season. He spilt 13-14 and 14-15 between the NHL and AHL. Trocheck became a full-time NHL player after 14-15.

The Panthers were really good in Gallant's 2nd season. He was named a Jack Adams finalist that year.

Gallant did a terrific job in Vegas. He won the Adams in his first season. Vegas lost in the Cup finals. He took a group of players from different teams and molded them into a team. The Vegas team had Shea Theodore and Alex Tuch play important roles.

Gallant was a tough player with the Red Wings. He was a good quality player who wasn't afraid to get involved physically.

The Rangers need a coach who is not afraid to play and trust young players. They need to be tougher to play against. The Rangers need structure. His Vegas teams had good underlying numbers. CF% and xGF%. Gallant should be the guy. He coaches the team and doesn't get involved in nonsense.

Rangerboy I remember how you instantly reported that Dave Quinn was a bad choice when we hired him. Think you had talked to some source in Boston. Care to divulge what you heard back then?

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I am ready to part with both Strome and Buchnevich this summer. Mixed feelings on retaining either, the solution is to retool with a different skill set replacing both spots.

I would trade Chytil.

Both Blackwell and Rooney can return as F 12/13 given the minimal cap hit.

I would prefer for Brendan Smith to return as D7 if vet minimum ballpark is of interest to him.

Howden is gone, obviously. Gauthier, same. And never want Hajek near this lineup again.

A lot of movement.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think it's more likely that Claude Lemieux was difficult to deal with. He is highly vocal about clients that he didn't raise. Probably blowing up Gorton's phone constantly.

Is Lemieux even going to be protected by LA?
May aswell take the 4th pick . That 4th line LW spot just doesn’t see much time

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
When do the Jack Eichel rumors start kicking into high gear?
Yep this will be a long off season on this board this off season between the Eichel rumors, TDA love fest with a couple of posters and the continuous trade Kreider posts. Hopefully there will be some balance with discussions on how to realistically upgrade/reshape the roster by using some depth resources to shore up some areas of needs (center, vet D and gritty wing(s).)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yep this will be a long off season on this board this off season between the Eichel rumors, TDA love fest with a couple of posters and the continuous trade Kreider posts. Hopefully there will be some balance with discussions on how to realistically upgrade/reshape the roster by using some depth resources to shore up some areas of needs (center, vet D and gritty wing(s).)

we should put this thread on pause for 3 months lol .....nothings going down till expansion most likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad