Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He was also at the helm when this team had it's most successful run in decades.

If we're going to bitch about the bad, it doesn't make sense to ignore the good as well.
The only thing that scares me about Sather, is he's royalty. He will never be fired. He's here until he wants to leave.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Ok... so we're not going to win with this center group imo. Zibs-Strome-Chytil is not a good enough complement to our wingers.

Our wingers are not going anywhere. If we want to compete, Strome or Chytil need to be upgraded. In my mind if we let the some of the kids 'bump up' into the top6 and get some players that eat nails for breakfast, and can 'still do hockey', on the 3rd line, that'd be great.

I honestly don't know what the right decision is or how it will look in 5 years from now.

I like Zibs' game, he's very opportunistic at ES even though his 'metrics' aren't earth shattering... but how he acts in scrums KILLS ME. From the beginning of the year, to Laf being harrassed and surrounded by players to Panarin being ragdolled, he's done nothing. Not exactly 'captain/leader' material.

Strome has turned into a solid middle6. I fear his style is too similar to our wingers. It becomes redundant. Maybe with more physical north/south wingers it could work out. p.s. we don't have many.

Chytil has shown flashes. He has good measurables but IMO he's hockey dumb. The IQ/gamesense is not there, his playmaking leaves room for improvement. He can develop into a better Center. Might benefit playing with Panarin where his tasks would be simplified.... 1) Defend. 2) Go get puck, give to Panarin. 3.) Get open in scoring area

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Sather is the only thing standing between Dolan and this team. I don't care what his past has been like as far as coaching or being the GM, he is our goddamn knight in shining armor right now, and we should all thank our lucky stars that he is there.

Because all of these amazing kids we have just look like veteran trade bait otherwise.

Reactions: Tob and SRHRangers

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
They aren't bringing back Tortorella. Been there done that, unsuccessful

Unsuccessful? Really?

The work ethic he infused in players set the stage for AV's cup runs.

I am firmly of the opinion that without Torts' blue collar everyone works style of play, AV's teams end up like this year's flyers roster.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
My worry with galant is he supposedly also is weak with systems and is a cheerleader type. These guys badly need a sound tactical person
I've heard this but nothing about his time with VGK or Florida makes me believe this.

VGK was ridiculously structured and you don't just cheerlead a bunch of random pieces with no history together to the SCF

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Unsuccessful? Really?

The work ethic he infused in players set the stage for AV's cup runs.

I am firmly of the opinion that without Torts' blue collar everyone works style of play, AV's teams end up like this year's flyers roster.
Some people think a Torts type would be bad for players like Kakko and stunt his creativity to turn him into a grinder but I think the opposite. I could see Torts showing him clips of himself in Liiga & the Worlds and tell him to start playing like that and stop being a p***y thinking he can’t carry the puck around 3 players at a time. He’ll fire him up and put that alpha mentality in him. And Laf might turn into a young Ovi bull in a chinashop under Torts lol. Torts already loves bread, and I’m sure he’d love USA Buch too

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Some people think a Torts type would be bad for players like Kakko and stunt his creativity to turn him into a grinder but I think the opposite. I could see Torts showing him clips of himself in Liiga & the Worlds and tell him to start playing like that and stop being a p***y thinking he can’t carry the puck around 3 players at a time. He’ll fire him up and put that alpha mentality in him. And Laf might turn into a young Ovi bull in a chinashop under Torts lol. Torts already loves bread, and I’m sure he’d love USA Buch too
I’m not saying Torts is inept.

But he is a small person who is incapable of separating his job from his feelings about players. He has a big ego. Cross him, and he will bench you, even if it means losing a game we’d otherwise win.

That’s not a winning coach, and there’s a reason why he hasn’t won a Cup in about 20 years. There’s a reason why his USA team drastically underperformed.

He’s bad at player management, and honestly the whole league has his strategies beat. He can win games, but he won’t win a series unless it’s a serious mismatch.

Plus, our stars will burn out, they’ll leave. Look at the exodus of talent from Columbus over the past several years. Remember Gaborik?

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
He was also at the helm when this team had it's most successful run in decades.

If we're going to bitch about the bad, it doesn't make sense to ignore the good as well.

True and yet we never won the cup because he never had the skill we have now. Let’s put it in perspective. The turtling the 2015 team did was ineffective.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com

Torts' is always thought of as a defensive/grinding coach.

I don't think that's actually the case. He does a good job adapting his system to the roster he has.

In Tampa Bay it was "safe is death" because frankly, they had the talent to pull that off.

In NY the roster was not nearly as talented and he adapted his system to a 6 goalie shot blocking defensive system.

The key with Torts is that he makes everyone work. You play the right way (with effort) or you don't play.

That doesn't always work with an older team that is set in their ways (see Vancouver).

I think he would come in here to a young skilled team and you'd see more of a "safe is death" system as opposed to the 6 goalie system he used here previously.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The only thing that scares me about Sather, is he's royalty. He will never be fired. He's here until he wants to leave.
Sather is like Hyman Roth, he keeps pretending that he’s handing over the keys but the truth is he’ll never walk away from the influence he carries in certain segments of the sport. He knew that JD wouldn’t need him and that bothered him so he whispers and now I’m sure that Drury will lean on him for guidance. He’s back in business which is great for him being that he doesn’t have any hobbies.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen

The team quit on both him and AV. There is a reason Torts only lasts so long with any given team. As far as his influence, we can debate it and there is probably some truth to what you wrote. But it never led to a cup. And it never does for him.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think people have a common misconception of Torts. His teams play a style that are catered to their skills/strengths. In Tampa, when he won, he had skill and coined the phrase, 'Safe is Death'.

With the Rangers and now CLB, there has been extremely limited talent. I would not expect him to be the same coach as he was in his last stay as a Ranger.

His teams overperform for around 3 years, then he gets tiring. IMO he has the potential to be a good-great coach for this team moving forward.... even when he's gone, his after effects remain.

Reactions: Profet

fm

Jul 28, 2016
I think people have a common misconception of Torts. His teams play a style that are catered to their skills/strengths. In Tampa, when he won, he had skill and coined the phrase, 'Safe is Death'.

With the Rangers and now CLB, there has been extremely limited talent. I would not expect him to be the same coach as he was in his last stay as a Ranger.

His teams overperform for around 3 years, then he gets tiring. IMO he has the potential to be a good-great coach for this team moving forward.... even when he's gone, his after effects remain.

LMAO why are his teams “talent limited”??

because he pushes the stars out! He’s a baby who can’t tolerate the fact that stars get credit and rightfully so. Look at the NBA.

Gaborik. Richards. Luongo. Panarin. DuBois. Stone. Bobrovsky. It’s the same story every city every year or two.

no wonder Hank and Cally and all fragged him at exit interviews.

you want this team huffing and puffing? He’ll make it happen. But say goodbye to Mika, bread, maybe KK, VK, Igor. Say hello to the Folignos of the league. Hope you like grinding your way to a seventh seed and hard earned second round appearance!

F U C K. T O R T S.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Honestly, I’ll bet Kekalainen told Torts he was out and allowed him to save some face by making the announcement himself.

Reactions: fm

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I've heard this but nothing about his time with VGK or Florida makes me believe this.

VGK was ridiculously structured and you don't just cheerlead a bunch of random pieces with no history together to the SCF

Yeah, agreed. I do wonder why that’s the line on him. Is it possible assistants set up that structure?

Let's hope he plays like that size moving forward. He's still young but he isn't really using his frame to his advantage (yet)

He was using his crazy wingspan very effectively for the first half of the season. I think he hit the wall some college players do.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

His style is way too grinding. I don’t wanna see Adam Fox to play 59 minutes every night and falling apart in round 2.

Reactions: NYRangers16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad