Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Like, am I the only one who remembers anything?

I remember having Orr, Boogaard, Brashear, and Deveaux. I was there. With the exception of Jody Shelley actually putting up a few points late in 09-10 these guys never f***ing did anything.

NHL enforcers spent 99% of their careers fighting guys they fished with.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes Colton Orr woulda been there during the power play to stop wilson
People say that want gritty players who can play, and while I think the system is by far the biggest culprit of passive hockey, I'm all for that.

But nobody actually wants that. I see Colton's Orr name coming up all over twitter and even in our GDT. It's 2021 and people actually still want a heavyweight.

Not a single team has one. Reaves has three fights this year. He has 9 for Vegas in 4 seasons.

If he were on the Rangers tonight he would have shoved Wilson, Wilson would have laughed, and the refs jump in.

If we win this game, everyone's talking about what a piece of shit Wilson is, but our response wouldn't even come up.

Somebody give me one example of an annoying player getting beat up. And I mean a real player, not Orr knocking out one of his friends for the 3 Minutes a Game Union.

Evander Kane on Matt Cooke a thousand years ago? And Cooke responded by getting worsse.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
People say that want gritty players who can play, and while I think the system is by far the biggest culprit of passive hockey, I'm all for that.

But nobody actually wants that. I see Colton's Orr name coming up all over twitter and even in our GDT. It's 2021 and people actually still want a heavyweight.

Not a single team has one. Reaves has three fights this year. He has 9 for Vegas in 4 seasons.

If he were on the Rangers tonight he would have shoved Wilson, Wilson would have laughed, and the refs jump in.

If we win this game, everyone's talking about what a piece of shit Wilson is, but our response wouldn't even come up.

Somebody give me one example of an annoying player getting beat up. And I mean a real player, not Orr knocking out one of his friends for the 3 Minutes a Game Union.

Evander Kane on Matt Cooke a thousand years ago? And Cooke responded by getting worsse.

Wanting a physical player is fine, but it should never come at the expense of skill and talent. I'm so done with the legacy of Andre Deveaux, Kris Newbury, Derek Boogaard and others. You want to add some phyisicality? Go after Matthew Tkachuk. He actually helps you win games.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Marcus Foligno would be a good player to help a team Wild dump some salary. Makes 3.1 until he is UFA in 24-25 season. He is 29

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Wanting a physical player is fine, but it should never come at the expense of skill and talent. I'm so done with the legacy of Andre Deveaux, Kris Newbury, Derek Boogaard and others. You want to add some phyisicality? Go after Matthew Tkachuk. He actually helps you win games.
Get both Tkachuks and watch the world burn

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Definitely many valid points and some very astute observations.

But I do have one objection. I totally agree with you that you cannot prevent these things by having a heavy weight. But there is another aspect of it that shouldn’t be overseen. And that is the team toughness aspect.

There is always bickering going on between teams. It’s not good when you don’t have anyone that even hypothetically can answer the bell if push comes to shove.

In short, was our kids play negatively affected by seing Wilson rag doll Panarin and nobody doing anything about it? Yes.

So what does this mean, should we start to dress a goon every game? All I am saying is that it would help to have someone who in a situation like this, after the fact, could have challenged Wilson. I don’t agree that it would have been pointless.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Definitely many valid points and some very astute observations.

But I do have one objection. I totally agree with you that you cannot prevent these things by having a heavy weight. But there is another aspect of it that shouldn’t be overseen. And that is the team toughness aspect.

There is always bickering going on between teams. It’s not good when you don’t have anyone that even hypothetically can answer the bell if push comes to shove.

In short, was our kids play negatively affected by seing Wilson rag doll Panarin and nobody doing anything about it? Yes.

So what does this mean, should we start to dress a goon every game? All I am saying is that it would help to have someone who in a situation like this, after the fact, could have challenged Wilson. I don’t agree that it would have been pointless.

You know what? We do. We have Trouba, Kreider and Lindgren. But all 3 are out with injury

Reactions: frozenrubber

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Like, am I the only one who remembers anything?

I remember having Orr, Boogaard, Brashear, and Deveaux. I was there. With the exception of Jody Shelley actually putting up a few points late in 09-10 these guys never f***ing did anything.

NHL enforcers spent 99% of their careers fighting guys they fished with.
You’re screaming into the void man. You’re arguing with a bunch of irrational people dealing with high emotion after yet another mugging. People are not thinking clearly.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
BERN MFer BERN
  • NYR buys out Tony DeAngelos contract
  • Seattle picks Brett Howden in the Expansion Draft
  • NYR trade for Ryan Reaves sending Libor Hajek and the the NYR 4th round pick to Las Vegas
  • NYR trade for Zack McEwan and Vancouvers 7th round pick in 2021 sending Tarmo Reuanen and LA:s 4th round pick in 2021 to Vancouver
  • NYR trade for Mattias Ekholm and Nashvilles 2021 1st round pick for Pavel Buchnevich and NYRs 3rd round pick in 2021.
  • NYR trade for Joel Edmundsson and Tampa Bays 2021 2nd round pick for Ryan Strome, Hunter Skinner, the rights to Yegor Rykov and either NYR 3rd/4th round pick in 2022.
  • NYR trade for Dylan Larkin sending Filip Chytil, Zach Jones, Alexander Georgiev and Nashvilles 1st round pick in 2021 to Detroit.
  • NYR draft either Aatu Raty or Fedor Svechkov in the 1st round of 2021 (around #15). NYR, before any other further movement, also pick in Rounds #2 (TBL), #3 (Buffalo), #4 (Ottawa), #5 (NYR), #6 (NYR) + #7 (Vancouver + NYR) of the 2021 draft.
  • NYR resign RFA:s Igor Shesterkin (5 years @ $5,5 M), Ryan Lindgren (2 years @ $3,0 M) and Julian Gauthier (2 years @ $1,2 M)
  • RFA:s Adam Huuska, Tim Gettinger and Ty Ronning are qualified
  • NYR give ELCs to Nils Lundkvist, Adam Edström and Aatu Raty (or Fedor Svechkov)
  • Cap space with a 23 man roster (excluding eventual bonus overage): $10,254,365
  • DQ gets the pink slip

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The tenacity and intensity level of the team is more of an issue than the physicality, but you’re going to get those things out of the same players.

I’m all for making some of those kinds of moves, but Gorton does need to be careful of a 1995 style overreach.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Why does every take above have to be so binary? Is it really so hard to accept the team needs much more toughness and pushback?
You know what? We do. We have Trouba, Kreider and Lindgren. But all 3 are out with injury
If those are our three toughest that puts us in the bottom-5 least formidable/threatening teams in the league. Look at the composition of some of the teams in our division and out west. Wilson was laughing at a defenseless team while our response is begging for player safety to suspend the mean man.

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
You’re screaming into the void man. You’re arguing with a bunch of irrational people dealing with high emotion after yet another mugging. People are not thinking clearly.
I think people are finally waking up to an uncomfortable truth after viewing a sequence of events they were told would never happen in the nhl today.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Fair point, but Kreider have run into hiding so many times before in similar situations and I don't want Lindgren fighting the heavier players. Risk for injury, don't think he is strong enough to take them on.

I don't disagree in large and I think you, @Machinehead and @Irishguy42 makes very good and legit points that should be considered. But it is a balancing act, I don't for example at all like how exposed Lindgren has been after making hits. He shouldn't have to worry about being ran by Trent Fredrick or Dillon and being forced to turn down invites on a shift by shift basis every time he makes a shoulder hit. It is a lot easier to play physical and make hits if you know that someone got your back if the other team takes objections. This is just my evaluation, not saying that it definitely is correct, but I feel that the team as a whole are negatively affected, becomes too passive physically, because we are so tremendously flat in these areas.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
*whispers*

gerard gallant
Gallant will help Lafreniere with his upcoming Team Canada stint ....more than a year of Quinn has . Not sure if any other Rangers will be on Team Canada...maybe Strome ..even Gauthier selection if so would be great for us . Barron might even get some consideration .

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
The NHL needing to do it’s job in protecting the rest of the league from an animal and the Rangers needing to round out their physical game are two entirely separate issues.
The issues become entirely linked when we literally have no other card to play other than begging the league to suspend the man. Defenseless.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
It would be beyond embarrassing if THIS group got this coach fired.

While I get it that the coach has done nothing at the NHL level, the players themselves have also accomplished nothing to warrant appeasement.

Its starting to feel like all three of Mika, Buch and Strome need to get gone in a hurry.

And let me add that the coach also has a short leash here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad