Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Add Foligno
Add Reaves

And go from there. Leadership and team toughness improved instantly, while getting heavier to play against.
There ya go !!! Plus Schneider makes an entry at some point ....Barron is bigger addition then a smurf and maybe Gauthier finds a pair between his legs . If all that came together it adds a a few more wins and in all likelihood not any more Panarin bodyslams ! That was ridiculous ! Not sure how any member of our organization can be happy with that last night...an embarrassment to our team .

Reactions: carminejr

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Why does every take above have to be so binary? Is it really so hard to accept the team needs much more toughness and pushback?

If those are our three toughest that puts us in the bottom-5 least formidable/threatening teams in the league. Look at the composition of some of the teams in our division and out west. Wilson was laughing at a defenseless team while our response is begging for player safety to suspend the mean man.
Many here unfortunately seem to forget that hockey is a violent and emotional game when played on ice and not a video screen and there are times you have to change the flow of emotions on the ice and that was exactly what Tom Wilson was doing last night...and I must say....he made a great job of it . We have nobody in our organization that has an ounce of that in their blood . JD though does know how the game is still played or he should since he was trained through the WHL Canadian junior league. I have faith in JD that this will be addressed.....and maybe even before Wednesday night's game...we can still trade with another non playoff club .....that's what I would do and I would specifically target Backstrom the next game.....not injure him...just make it f'n miserable for him . Send some kind of message for next season .

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Wanting a physical player is fine, but it should never come at the expense of skill and talent. I'm so done with the legacy of Andre Deveaux, Kris Newbury, Derek Boogaard and others. You want to add some phyisicality? Go after Matthew Tkachuk. He actually helps you win games.

so how come the less skilled Isles are successful and historically the finesse Penguins win Cups after adding grit? Tampa added grit after being swept by Columbus. Boston regularly beats the highly skilled Leafs.

There is a point of diminishing returns in this league.

Reactions: leetch99

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The only effective deterrent for the escalation/frequency of Tom Wilson is the NHL/DoPS doing its job.

It's hilarious seeing everyone denouncing Wilson's actions and then calling for one of our players to literally decapitate one of their stars. The hypocrisy on display here is pretty amusing

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The only real deterrent is having someone willing to abuse their stars. What's the point of fighting Wilson after the fact? I'm not asking for an elbow to Backstrom's head. But target their stars with hard hits and scrums after the whistle and slashes and maybe force them into a fight. Yzerman got sick of paying for Marty Lapoint's actions. Eye for an eye, not "the code".

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
The only real deterrent is having someone willing to abuse their stars. What's the point of fighting Wilson after the fact? I'm not asking for an elbow to Backstrom's head. But target their stars with hard hits and scrums after the whistle and slashes and maybe force them into a fight. Yzerman got sick of paying for Marty Lapoint's actions. Eye for an eye, not "the code".

If it was to happen it would've happened already. We're a pretty finesse team and will live and die by that. Drafting two highly skilled players in back to back drafts only pushed us further in that direction. It'll be up to the GM to find some sort of balance in the coming years. Drafting Scheider and Cuylle was a start, but we'll need something in the interim

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Bunch of p***yes on this roster. Absolutely embarrassing when push comes to shove that some players didn’t even want to drop their stick, let alone their gloves.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
You don’t need a goon or an enforcer to remediate the issue. An enforcer isn’t going to prevent him from lining someone up if he has the chance. Wilson is going to continue to play the way he plays, regardless. The same can be said for other players in the league who play predatorial. Rangers, as a team, need to have way more character. They are way too young and they got no bang. We saw Toronto address this recently because they have all the very important pieces in place already to go for the cup. I feel as if the Rangers are on a similar path, yet obviously they need sizable adjustments in the C and LD positions.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's hilarious seeing everyone denouncing Wilson's actions and then calling for one of our players to literally decapitate one of their stars. The hypocrisy on display here is pretty amusing

I mean, if there is one way to get Wilson to stop doing the shit he does, this is the way to do it.

Doesn't make it right, but thats the position the league has put everyone in.

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Getting someone on the roster for the specific purpose of punching Tom Wilson, while satisfying, would be incredibly stupid.

Said it earlier and I'll say it again, this is how you end up drafting McIlrath over Tarasenko and Fowler.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
Also, you guys who are seriously advocating that we get someone on the roster for the specific purpose of punching Tom Wilson, because it will "deter him" or whatever, have you actually looked as Wilson? Like really looked at him?

He's an actual psychopath. Someone punching him wouldn't be a deterrent, it would be a goddamn incentive.

Reactions: CLW and Atax

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Having a player like Reaves is a necessity. It's like that saying goes,

I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reactions: leetch99 and RGY

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
This is literally what happens when you don't have a checking/grinder type of line to wear down your opponents. We have Howden, Rooney and then Kravtsov rotting on the 4th line. We need to add guys who can play with grit so this doesn't happen.

Yesterday was horrible. I hope Wilson gets suspended for the season plus the playoffs. The guy is a damn thug. How does the NHL allow him and Marchand get away with all this crap is mind boggling.

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->