Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Panarin, Kreider, Trouba, Zibanejad. I fail to see how trading Buch who is 25 - a player age range we have a surplus of - for a 19 year old (which we only have two of), is somehow less diversity of age.

And if you need more veterans then go sign some. Getting a center to grow with Kakko and Lafreniere is super important for long term roster construction.
Right you named them, 4 guys. And how many are long term players here? You literally just made my case for me.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Right you named them, 4 guys. And how many are long term players here? You literally just made my case for me.

So how many 29 year olds you think we need? You said you can’t have all the players in the same age bracket. We have two 19 year olds, I’m advocating for one more, so it would still be less than the over 28 crowd. A lot of our roster is like 23-26.

Let’s not pretend that we are suddenly “too young,” by adding one more 19 or 20 year old. This sounds like simple pining for keeping Buch rather than anything based on the facts of the roster construction.

And again, you want someone with some experience? Free agency comes every year.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
So how many 29 year olds you think we need? You said you can’t have all the players in the same age bracket. We have two 19 year olds, I’m advocating for one more, so it would still be less than the over 28 crowd. A lot of our roster is like 23-26.

Let’s not pretend that we are suddenly “too young,” by adding one more 19 or 20 year old. This sounds like simple pining for keeping Buch rather than anything based on the facts of the roster construction.

And again, you want someone with some experience? Free agency comes every year.
like I said earlier, diversity of style, age, contract status/timeline.

Next year we are adding how many more young players already with nils and more? Just saying the focus on all kids is not smart or necessary. And many teams that have tried that nonsense have been hurt by doing it. You need professionals to help teach talent how to become professional.

Reactions: rdhstlr23

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
like I said earlier, diversity of style, age, contract status/timeline.

Next year we are adding how many more young players already with nils and more? Just saying the focus on all kids is not smart or necessary. And many teams that have tried that nonsense have been hurt by doing it. You need professionals to help teach talent how to become professional.

I agree just don’t think getting a center to grow with Kakko and Lafreniere disrupts that effort.

Reactions: leetch99

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I agree just don’t think getting a center to grow with Kakko and Lafreniere disrupts that effort.
See I'm a believer in giving kids an opportunity to move up the lineup, but not relying on them to automatically do so as they have insulation while they grow.

Like clumping a bunch of kids together on a line
We will see what the org does.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Kreider, Chytil, Strome, Hajek, Smith, Blackwell and I guess Buch due to contract, can all be replaced next season. Need diversity in player type. Don’t have to be bruisers, but guys that hustle, forecheck and backcheck hard, can win a draw, are “tough to play against”.

Reactions: leetch99

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'll bring up Matthew Nieto again as someone to target this offseason. Speed, PK, tenacious forchecker. Has some offense.

He's had a miserable year going back to San Jose. I know he's from out in Cali but he played hockey in the Northeast. He's not going to cost much if anything. If you bring in him and Bennett along with trading for some grit, now we're talking.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I need some more stu bickel references and descriptions tonight to help me get over that embarrassment of a game tonight. I miss stu for all the stu jokes. Guy was one of torts' punching bags

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Even star players like Nathan MacKinnon drops the gloves to defend teammates. The team mentally needs to change and or get the players willing to sick up for each other when needed for a teammates or to change momentum in the game.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Even though we're currently 18th from bottom of the standings, there's a good chance as many as four teams pass us before all is said and done. Is Raty still on the board at 14?

Last edited:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Add Foligno
Add Reaves

And go from there. Leadership and team toughness improved instantly, while getting heavier to play against.

Pretty sure all signs are pointing to Foligno signing with CBJ again.

Reactions: CLW

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Pretty sure all signs are pointing to Foligno signing with CBJ again.

Funny, I remember being told that if you trade away a player at the deadline they won’t come back and sign with you the next offseason.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I know the kid had a rough season, but could Henriksson be that player? Made his make centering two stud wingers. If he can be defensive responsible and win some draws, there might be something there.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kreider, Chytil, Strome, Hajek, Smith, Blackwell and I guess Buch due to contract, can all be replaced next season. Need diversity in player type. Don’t have to be bruisers, but guys that hustle, forecheck and backcheck hard, can win a draw, are “tough to play against”.
Yea I want Goodrow( can play all 3 fwd position and great on face offs) or Derek Ryan as a bottom 6 guy. Coleman would be great but he would cost too much and we don’t need another expensive winger
Look in to Andrew Copp as well. We need players who are skilled that play with that balls to the wall gritty game. I’m all for trading for lesser known players/ prospects that fit the same Criteria, but I doubt Quinn would play them enough to really get their game going. I think history has shown he would play the vet, hopefully not over play I a lot of situations. I just don’t want to spend a ton of cash to get a UFA but it might be our only option. look at miles wood for example, good solid role player, provides everything that we need, but I don’t think he would have got the same chance here as he did in jersey to take his game to that next level

Last edited:

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Tampa is the team I would be on the phone with if I was JG.

Cap friendly shows them having 18 guys signed and they are over the cap by 3.5 mill. Even if they figure a way to dump Johnson's 5 mill they still need to shed even more salary to sign some guys. They also probably lose Coleman and Goodrow to FA. They have 4 dmen and can't protect all 4 (Hedman, McD, Sergachev and Cernak). They have Point's extension looming a year after next. I know we say they dodge it every year but unless someone retires or misses a season due to injury they are going to have to do something rather large THIS year. After next year with Point they are screwed. So who besides Johnson goes in the offseason?

Rangers could really capitalize by using their cap space here. Maybe Strome 50% retained plus Blackwell for Cirelli? Tampa saves 1.8 mill fills 2 forward spots instead of 1. Strome is probably going to put up way more offense compared to what his cap hit would dictate. Who is going to put up numbers like Strome can for 2.25 mill? Blackwell also should outproduce his 750k.

Strome and Palat come off the books the end of next year and Point is due a contract. Perfect timing.

Tampa's cap issues are bettter after the trade but still slightly problematic as they still need to sign a 13th forward, 1 starting LD, a 7th dman and a back up goalie. If they can move Johnson they are 1.5 below the cap plus the 1.8 saved on this deal they could sign those 4 guys to 750k deals and be cap compliant with a little wiggle room.

I also wonder if Tony D at 50% has any value to them. Florida is one of the few states the fans wouldn't have an issue with his political views. Shoot they would probably welcome it. Move Sergachev as they have 2 LDs in McD and Hedman. Cernak, Tony and Rutta are the RDs. They would just need a 3rd LD which shouldn't be hard as MCD and Hedman eat up most of the mins. Tony can score a ton of points and as long as he behaves they could trade him after the year for the haul Ranger fans wanted prior to him getting into the scuffle with Georgie.

I would also think Tampa wants NHL players that could contribute right now as opposed to draft picks or prospects that might not play to the level they need to win a cup. I would love Cirelli and would even take Serg for our 3rd expansion protection spot if the price was right. Use our deep prospect pool at LD to fill other roster needs.

Either way I think there could be something there that could make sense for both teams.

Reactions: Ola

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Kreider has a NMC for the next 3 seasons. I doubt he’s going anywhere any time soon unless there’s some kind of special buyout.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Personally, I think the “we need an enforcer” talk has more to do with Quinn and the overall culture of the team than personnel. I think the players have just packed it in. And you hear how disinterested Quinn was in his post game interview. I feel like if we had a coach who was more passionate and aggressive about the situation, someone might’ve stepped up for the team in the 3rd. I think it’s a top down thing, the players have stopped listening to Quinn and know the season’s over and just want to move onto next season.

I think it’s a culture problem and not a player problem. I think a new coach with a new attitude changes the players. And sometimes a new coach is all it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad