Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXII: “The Year of the Plague’s” last one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'd definitely be up for a veteran C for the bottom 6 but im not sure if Boyler has much left if anything. Wish we could have went for Koivu.

Reactions: Avery16

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Given the following assumptions, what is everyone’s preferred eventual defensive line up for us? The assumptions (and assuredly they will be faulty to a degree) are:

1) We do not import any outside free agents to the core, or add any pieces beyond what we have now

2) none of these guys are traded away.

3) They all develop as reasonably expected (no projecting that Hunter Skinner becomes a star #1D, for example, no projecting that K’Andre Miller is a complete bust).

4) price is not an issue.

What do people think is the ideal group of 6 long term? Of the following:

Trouba
Fox
DeAngelo
Lundkvist
Schneider
Miller
Lindgren
Robertson
Jones
Reunanen
Rykov
Hajek
Skinner

I’m thinking

Miller - Fox
Robertson - Lundkvist
Lindgren/Jones - DeAngelo/Schneider

Can’t decide on that last pair. Do I want unprecedented offensive output with DeAngelo, or more snarl with Schneider?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Boyle has more left than Koivu.

I'm interested but not chasing money for him to sign. Veteran minimum, no risk.
Koivu played more games and scored more points than Boyle last season, so what is the “more” that Boyle has left?

Reactions: SA16

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
No thanks on Boyle... he isn't changing the fate of this team this year and all he'd be doing is taking a spot from someone who will still be here in 2 years.

Reactions: leetch99

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Boyle may not change the fate of this team this year, and quite honestly his impact on the team this year is secondary to why you would bring him. Yeah, sure the kids vying for spots in the bottom 6 may still be here in 2 years, but who are they learning from? Who is the experienced player playing next to them that plays the game the way we need a bottom 6 player to effectively play? The whole bottom 6 as it stands right now is made up of kids if you factor in Barron as the 4RW, who is still so raw. Those guys could use a mentor and leader in that group. Howden sure as f*** could. We just expect all of our forwards to figure out how to play defensively with the coaching staff. But don’t you think a lot of young players tend to learn and grow just as much by leaning on their peers, specifically a vet?

Having that Vet forward out on the ice with them, in practice, in a shift in any given game, before a faceoff is taken, is an extension of the coach. Its absolutely naive to just say let the kids play. Those kids could end up failing in part because the team threw them to the wolves. Howden is a great example and it is well documented I am not his biggest fan. This is a time where these kids can sink or swim, and maybe, just maybe, they might have a better chance of swimming or carving out a useful NHL career for us in the bottom 6 because we provided them every tool to learn the game and a specific role.

Oh and it will only cost $700k-$900k for that...

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Brian Boyle, 2010's Whipping Boy on the 4th Line is now a sought after commodity. For those kids who get too worried about what the mob says.... this is what happens when you play the game that you do. It's not too different from the gladiators that came before you.

Boyler won the mob over. He put the work in. He got better.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
3 of your top four have zero NHL games played...

:facepalm:

Sure, I said these assumptions will be faulty. I’m just saying IF everything worked out well as can be expected, what is the D lineup people think will work out best?

I don’t mean this year, I mean peak development down the line.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Brian Boyle, 2010's Whipping Boy on the 4th Line is now a sought after commodity. For those kids who get too worried about what the mob says.... this is what happens when you play the game that you do. It's not too different from the gladiators that came before you.

still no point to sign him just play Howden , Rooney , Barron w Lemieux on the 4th line

if no one can win a faceoff then maybe mid season

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Given the following assumptions, what is everyone’s preferred eventual defensive line up for us? The assumptions (and assuredly they will be faulty to a degree) are:

1) We do not import any outside free agents to the core, or add any pieces beyond what we have now

2) none of these guys are traded away.

3) They all develop as reasonably expected (no projecting that Hunter Skinner becomes a star #1D, for example, no projecting that K’Andre Miller is a complete bust).

4) price is not an issue.

What do people think is the ideal group of 6 long term? Of the following:

Trouba
Fox
DeAngelo
Lundkvist
Schneider
Miller
Lindgren
Robertson
Jones
Reunanen
Rykov
Hajek
Skinner

I’m thinking

Miller - Fox
Robertson - Lundkvist
Lindgren/Jones - DeAngelo/Schneider

Can’t decide on that last pair. Do I want unprecedented offensive output with DeAngelo, or more snarl with Schneider?

This is so pointless. Miller, Robertson, Lundkvist, Jones, Schneider are all prospects. There's not way to predict how they develop. The Rangers actually were in somewhat similar position about a decade ago with a bunch of good defensemen prospects coming up. You should look back and take a lesson in how that turned out.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010

I'd rather have Prust

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A self rental would be a terrible idea if the end result is another Carolina-style bounce out if the young talent isn't ready. Despite all the talk about "competing teams don't sell," you have to take a good hard look at whether this team is actually a contender for something more than a quick exit or even winning merely a round. NHL GMs do a lot of dumb things that they shouldn't, so just because the team may or may not do something doesn't make it wise.

Go ahead and chalk me up in the "100% against," category. If they've decided they cannot afford a 5 year, $5m+ contract for Buch, and they honestly probably cannot since ultimately that's probably a salary they are paying to a third liner or at best their 6th or 7th most important winger, then he should be dealt if the return is even a Hayes-like one. But given last year's deadline, probably more.

Buch is still RFA at the end of his current contract so I don't understand what's the urgency to move him if there's no adequate replacement for him at this time. Kravtsov or Gauthier will be on cheap contracts so it would be fine to get a sense first of what they can / cannot do at the NHL level before making any moves (penciling them in to replace Buch in the line-up). Also the Rangers should be able to afford Buch long-term on $5m per contract as a top-6 winger IF his replacements fail to meet expectations that they would become top-6. But for that the Rangers probably would need 1-3 years and, again, given Buch's RFA status - it shouldn't be a problem.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
10 years ago Boyle was an adequate bottom 6 guy. Soft as a pillow for a 6'7 giant, but a good soul for the locker room who could contribute. Was sad to hear he got sick. Then he got better and it was a great story. Became tough not to like him. 5 teams and 7 years later...I could see him being a good influence for a young team. But does the player coach really exist anymore or did it die with Reggie Dunlop? Not sure if on ice contributions will be there. Guess we will see where this plays out?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Brian Boyle in the early 2010s was a good player who was overused. Brian Boyle in 2021 is a bad player. Not exactly surprising for a 36 year old 4th line type.
any younger Boyle types in other organizations, players on the cusp but in an organization with depth or wants a fresh start? if the Rangers did not trade for Boyle who know how his career would have went if he stayed with the Kings.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Boyle may not change the fate of this team this year, and quite honestly his impact on the team this year is secondary to why you would bring him. Yeah, sure the kids vying for spots in the bottom 6 may still be here in 2 years, but who are they learning from? Who is the experienced player playing next to them that plays the game the way we need a bottom 6 player to effectively play? The whole bottom 6 as it stands right now is made up of kids if you factor in Barron as the 4RW, who is still so raw. Those guys could use a mentor and leader in that group. Howden sure as f*** could. We just expect all of our forwards to figure out how to play defensively with the coaching staff. But don’t you think a lot of young players tend to learn and grow just as much by leaning on their peers, specifically a vet?

Having that Vet forward out on the ice with them, in practice, in a shift in any given game, before a faceoff is taken, is an extension of the coach. Its absolutely naive to just say let the kids play. Those kids could end up failing in part because the team threw them to the wolves. Howden is a great example and it is well documented I am not his biggest fan. This is a time where these kids can sink or swim, and maybe, just maybe, they might have a better chance of swimming or carving out a useful NHL career for us in the bottom 6 because we provided them every tool to learn the game and a specific role.

Oh and it will only cost $700k-$900k for that...

They learn from the coaching staff and the leadership group. If they need another coach go hire one, sitting one of Howden, Barron etc in favor of a player who has no future here doesn't do jack for their development.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
10 years ago Boyle was an adequate bottom 6 guy. Soft as a pillow for a 6'7 giant, but a good soul for the locker room who could contribute. Was sad to hear he got sick. Then he got better and it was a great story. Became tough not to like him. 5 teams and 7 years later...I could see him being a good influence for a young team. But does the player coach really exist anymore or did it die with Reggie Dunlop? Not sure if on ice contributions will be there. Guess we will see where this plays out?
Boyle was a monster on the boards and routinely a hits leader in the NHL. Why does he have this weird reputation for being soft?

Reactions: leetch99

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Boyle was a monster on the boards and routinely a hits leader in the NHL. Why does he have this weird reputation for being soft?
Because he didn’t crash the net, didn’t menace, didn’t intimidate anyone. If an opponent took liberties with us, he might grab you and scowl. Totally wasted gift of size.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
On the main boards they brought up JT Miller as a main piece for the canucks to land PLD. Good god wouldn't that be a dagger to the heart. The McDonagh trade looks like it's going to continue to haunt.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
On the main boards they brought up JT Miller as a main piece for the canucks to land PLD. Good god wouldn't that be a dagger to the heart. The McDonagh trade looks like it's going to continue to haunt.

I will maintain that JT Miller wouldn't have been the player he is today, without those 2 trades in the span of 16 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad