Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXII: “The Year of the Plague’s” last one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
when will Rangers and their fans know the times of these games? I hope for not many day games since I love those night and late night games.
like no time set yet for Rangers vs Islanders first 2 games in January?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
when will Rangers and their fans know the times of these games? I hope for not many day games since I love those night and late night games.
like no time set yet for Rangers vs Islanders first 2 games in January?
Ive got to imagine every ranger game not on a sat/sun will be 7pm.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Really wish I could quote something from a closed thread and continue it forward.

@Fritzy commented: "The bolded I'm good with. But I've never considered the 'face of the franchise' to be a sufficient qualification for captaincy. Putting Leetch in charge wasn't a good plan, and theres a reason why our current face in Panarin isn't being talked about as a captin."

Both are valid points and examples (and a reasom I believe there is some hesitation with current Rangers). But with Lafreniere, it's potentially the cross-section of skill/personality and the fact that he should be their best player someday. That cross-section is rare. If anything, it's the type of combination that teams tend to hope for and would, most likely, wait on if they knew it was coming down the pike. That's I believe there's a very good possibility the Rangers will hold-off as well.

Let me put it this way: without the franchise-level potential, Lafreniere would be talked about as a future captain at the NHL level. With the skill level, he essentially becomes the type of player that teams dream about. He's a rare breed, even among some amazing young talent.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Really wish I could quote something from a closed thread and continue it forward.

@Fritzy commented: "The bolded I'm good with. But I've never considered the 'face of the franchise' to be a sufficient qualification for captaincy. Putting Leetch in charge wasn't a good plan, and theres a reason why our current face in Panarin isn't being talked about as a captin."

Both are valid points and examples (and a reasom I believe there is some hesitation with current Rangers). But with Lafreniere, it's potentially the cross-section of skill/personality and the fact that he should be their best player someday. That cross-section is rare. If anything, it's the type of combination that teams tend to hope for and would, most likely, wait on if they knew it was coming down the pike. That's I believe there's a very good possibility the Rangers will hold-off as well.

Let me put it this way: without the franchise-level potential, Lafreniere would be talked about as a future captain at the NHL level. With the skill level, he essentially becomes the type of player that teams dream about. He's a rare breed, even among some amazing young talent.
Go to locked thread, click Reply, copy text, past in new thread.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
well that was not that way when the Rangers were in the playin round this past season. i hope you are right.

The play in round had multiple games on the same rink every day. They had no choice but to stagger the start times. The Rangers will be playing in their own rink, or in other rinks in the East division, all of which are in the eastern time zone.

Most, if not all, of the games that will be aired on MSG will be at 7 pm. If they are on NBC/NBCSN, then the time is likely to be different.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Jets are not stupid, Rangers would have to add.

Why would the Rangers have to add? If Roslovic wants out, that isn't going to increase his value, nor will the fact that he doesn't have a contract.

His career numbers aren't that much better than Howden's, despite being a year older.

If Roslovic really wants out and is willing to sign for cheap, I wouldn't be against it, but I absolutely wouldn't add to Howden to get him.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Just tell yourself that Kakko would be shitting all over this tournament rn if he was there

The play in round had multiple games on the same rink every day. They had no choice but to stagger the start times. The Rangers will be playing in their own rink, or in other rinks in the East division, all of which are in the eastern time zone.

Most, if not all, of the games that will be aired on MSG will be at 7 pm. If they are on NBC/NBCSN, then the time is likely to be different.

NBC SPORTS ANNOUNCES ITS EXCLUSIVE NHL SCHEDULE FOR 2020-21 REGULAR SEASON - NBC Sports Pressbox

The Rangers will be on NBCSN 4 times. Those are all Wednesday night games, so expect the start times to be 8 pm.

They will be on NBC twice, both Sundays, so expect a 12 pm start time.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
There better be 0 games on NHL Network since I have nowhere to access it! Can’t believe I’m missing WJC because of some bad calls at NHL on promoting their brand.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Jets are not stupid, Rangers would have to add.

replacing one center for another center, does not do much. maybe move Buchnevich for a real center or let Kravtsov or Barron take the job at center.
It does a lot when Howden has been piss poor at the Center position and you are replacing him with a young quality Center with more upside potential. Which is why we would absolutely have to add. But this is the type of move that you try to make. A young Center who is on the cusp of earning a bigger role and you have the assets to make it happen. You can still revisit getting another center down the line. Roslovic could slot into the 3C position right away. You could then look to upgrade Strome at the 2C slot later on.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There better be 0 games on NHL Network since I have nowhere to access it! Can’t believe I’m missing WJC because of some bad calls at NHL on promoting their brand.

I think NHLN only shows Ranger games out of area. Those games are on MSG locally.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It does a lot when Howden has been piss poor at the Center position and you are replacing him with a young quality Center with more upside potential. Which is why we would absolutely have to add. But this is the type of move that you try to make. A young Center who is on the cusp of earning a bigger role and you have the assets to make it happen. You can still revisit getting another center down the line. Roslovic could slot into the 3C position right away. You could then look to upgrade Strome at the 2C slot later on.

Roslovic is a winger, and he played top six wing last year with guys like Ehlers. Howden also got significantly less ice time, and no power play time. Howden plays center, is a lot more physical, and is a guy that can mold his game like WPG's Lowry to carve out a role for himself. In other words, their underlying 5v5 production is a lot closer than it looks. Roslovic scored 6 extra 5v5 points, while getting 200 minutes of ice-time at 5v5 with high skilled players.

On their production levels from last year, it's actually a very fair deal.

It's essentially trading for a guy in Howden who is a current NHL 4th line center that can be groomed to replace Lowry as far as WPG's upside, or a two-way LW that can slot into their 3rd line. With Roslovic, WPG probably knows that he will not be an NHL checker and hasn't proven to be a scorer even after getting top 6 and power play minutes... who has already asked out of the organization.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Yeah, I kinda think the reason they didn't sign him was someone explained to him if you sign him now after saying that it looks like tampering.
D-USjk9UIAAT5_Y

Apparently, Mark Letestu has announced his retirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Roslovic is a winger, and he played top six wing last year with guys like Ehlers. Howden also got significantly less ice time, and no power play time. Howden plays center, is a lot more physical, and is a guy that can mold his game like WPG's Lowry to carve out a role for himself. In other words, their underlying 5v5 production is a lot closer than it looks. Roslovic scored 6 extra 5v5 points, while getting 200 minutes of ice-time at 5v5 with high skilled players.

On their production levels from last year, it's actually a very fair deal.

It's essentially trading for a guy in Howden who is a current NHL 4th line center that can be groomed to replace Lowry as far as WPG's upside, or a two-way LW that can slot into their 3rd line. With Roslovic, WPG probably knows that he will not be an NHL checker and hasn't proven to be a scorer even after getting top 6 and power play minutes... who has already asked out of the organization.
Just because Roslovic played Wing last year or even mostly in his NHL career, doesn’t mean he cannot play Center. Wasn’t he drafted as a Center?

I also would argue Howden is not more physical than Roslovic. Not one bit. Doesn’t mean Roslovic is very physical either, just that Howden isn’t what you are claiming him to be. He is terrible on the faceoff dot and terrible defensively. Do not see him as having an Adam Lowry future. He will be lucky to have a stable NHL career. He needs to improve a lot. Roslovic is absolutely more talented. I am much more confident in his future trajectory as an NHL player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Even though I more optimistic about Howden’s long term potential than some, I would definitely consider Howden for Roslovic.

Having said that, I do think the latter is a guy for whom projections exceeded potential. So expectations would be key there for fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad